Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 07:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Simply that increasing protein consumption when already following a low carb approach does not negatively impact ketone production, as it has less of an influence on triggering insulin. The difference, as Bikman explains, is when someone increases protein consumption when eating a SAD. For me, purely an N=1 test, I have increased protein consumption and measured blood ketones (BHB) and found that the increase has minimal, if any, impact on my ketone production. So, the gluconeogenesis resulting from additional protein has apparently not had a significant effect on my ketones, and the conclusion is that insulin and ketones have an inverse relationship. The depressed ratio of insulin to glucagon when following low carb makes sense in the presence of increased protein. I have not tested how much protein would significantly lower ketone production. I just wanted to know what would happen if I ate a 16 ounce or more steak on occasion, increasing my daily protein consumption. Because of my response, I have upped my daily protein and no longer am concerned about maintaining a limit.

Thanks for answering, I'm not sure I got that from Bikman's presentation, I guess I'll have to watch it again. Interesting individual results. What sort of protein intake and ketone level are we talking about here? There might be a difference between say 50 or 70 grams of protein and 100, but not between 100 and 130, for instance. There's a lot of clinical/anecdotal evidence out there that protein does affect ketosis, I belong to a facebook page that covers keto for neurological purposes, lots of people there are using blood ketone meters.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 09:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Bikman did go into detail illustrating the results from his study showing how the I:G ratio changed for different diets and how increased protein had a much less relative impact on those with a low I:G ratio. This is around the 15:00 portion of his presentation. The point he made is that the low I:G is more representative of a fasted state, so the benefits are insulin sensitivity, autophagy, lipolysis, and brown adipose tissue activation. Later, starting at about 19:00 to 20:00 he discusses how protein compounds the I:G ratio and effect for those following SAD compared to those following low carb. It's a very good presentation through the end, as he touches on many things we've discussed on this forum, and his remarks are based on his research. Again for me, I've been able to increase protein from under 100 grams per day, varying window of about 75-100, where I could measure blood ketones to 128-136 grams per day without a significant change in my blood ketones. To be accurate, there are some days where I'm around 100, and most others above 120. Since I'm in my 67th year, I'm taking advantage of the claims that increasing protein as we age is beneficial. This increase has not noticeably impacted the presence of ketones. As mentioned, I have not gorged on protein to test that impact and don't plan to, as I eat to satiety, and protein and fat get me there fast.

Edited to add: I'm wondering how much age and physical condition can influence protein's role in glucose production that negatively impacts ketone production; however, I believe Bikman's contention is correct in that many who notice protein limits ketones may not be starting from a place that is truly low carb. I try to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day, and I'm sure that has a beneficial influence on protein impact as well.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Fri, Aug-31-18 at 09:31.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 10:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Here's another podcast on upping protein levels:
https://www.biohackerslab.com/ep23-...tuart-phillips/
Same conclusions especially about upping protein as you age. I am 69 and have increased my protein over the past few weeks. Marty Kendall has written about how high protein diets have the greatest satiety effect. I have noticed that my overall calorie intake is down while my protein is up to around 28% of total calories. I'm enjoying eating this way and plan to continue it for the foreseeable future. My takeaway from it all was that by upping protein I am either preventing or at least slowing down the muscle loss that accompanies aging (sarcopenia).
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 12:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Jean, excellent discussion with Phillips. Thanks for the link. BioHackers is a good source.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 05:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have noticed that my overall calorie intake is down while my protein is up to around 28% of total calories. I'm enjoying eating this way and plan to continue it for the foreseeable future. My takeaway from it all was that by upping protein I am either preventing or at least slowing down the muscle loss that accompanies aging (sarcopenia).

A valuable benefit!

I noticed from years of rescuing cats that as they age, they need MORE nutrients because their digestion is no longer working at peak efficiency. Probably works that way for us: which means we aren’t increasing protein so much as compensating for what is no longer reaching our cells as efficiently.