Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 06:00

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Candida die off

Hi,

Apologies for posting this question here, I've been reading the Candida threads but its not active at all, wonder if people stopped reading it? I hope someone here can help me by giving advice or directing me on other location where my question have been answered !

About 10 days ago I have started to take an anti-candida tablets which I got from the health store, they contain oil of oregano, olive leaf, and various other vitamins - (please excuse me for mentioning this but I need ) anyway I started having some discharges its a bit like a mini thrush, I am not itchy at all, having a lot of white discharge, I haven't had a thrush for at least 10 years if not longer, at the beginning I thought this is a die off reaction (bit like the headaches and carvings I started getting after starting the tablets) however the discharges are not stopping and they are getting a bit annoying now.

I am on a low carb diet so no wheat or any other kind of grains and no potatoes or sugar, but I do eat nuts and diary now and again. Do I need to cut those out too so that the tablets work effectively??

Any help or views would be appreciated , and thanks in advance !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 23:51
RedBlob

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Sorry Sandy - I don't know the answer to your question. BUT I do know that I had mini thrush symptoms a few days after starting Atkins, but they went away on their own after a few more days. I assumed maybe it was a normal side effect?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 05:53

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

Some nuts are ok, but many will say to eat fresh nuts that are not yet cracked and wash them very well first. Walnuts and almonds are very good.....not peanuts. Stay away from anything processed.

and I would stay away from dairy.........tho I do sneak a lil american every now and again......just the milk with the enzymes tho.......I look at the packaging very closely so theres no added starches and sugar or anything. Milk is horrible..........1 cup of milk generally has 12 gs of sugar! Dairy is not a part of an anti candida diet. I supplement with calcium and vit d pills.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Gluten-free diet
Stats: 150/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi - I'm also taking oil of oregano and haven't had the thrush you're talking about, but I'm just extremely tired. have you had this symptom? I'm assuming it's die-off. It hits about 20 minutes after taking oregano capsules.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 11:02

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Most Common Die Off Reactions

Hi guys, my company specializes in Digestive issues and deals alot with Candida. I always tell clients that they can expect any or all of the following:

Headaches
Sore Joints
Nausea
rashes
discharge
runny nose
light headedness
extreme fatigue
Pimples
Itchy rectum
Diarrhea

THese should subside within the first week or so of treatment. The severity depends on how much yeast is in your system. Also remember that when you are detoxing candida you can also be detoxing parasites as many of the common antifungals used are also anti-parasitic.

Feel better soon!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 11:37

BF:

Thank you all for your replies - I was debating going to my doctor -

Kelster - yes I have terrible headaches now and again.

frisbena - Many thanks for your advice, I was just worried cuz my dieoff symptoms are not going away although I have been on these tablets for 2 weeks. The thrush did worry me cuz I haven't had any for 10 years, and its just going on and on !!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 12:05

BF:

Sandy,

I would go out and get a good probiotic supplement. This is the good bacteria which will reculture your gut and help you get over this hump. Sounds like you have alot of the little buggers in you. Which product are you using? Maybe I can figure out why it is lingering so long.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 14:05

BF:

frebina, thanks so much for offering to help – Lord knows I need it  the product is called anti-candi, I bought it from a health shop the ingredients of each tables are:
Oregano 750mg
Olive leaf 500 mg
Garlic 500 mg
Portmarigold 375mg
Thyme 375mg
cardamom 250mg
Clove extract 250mg
Pepermint oil 3mg
Cinnamon 5mg
Fennel seed 3 mg

I take 2 tablets a day.

btw: I tried to take acidophilus last year - but that didn't work - didn't have any die off symptoms, so I am really impressed this stuff worked. I am thinking may be the die off symptoms are not going cuz I haven't eliminated diary and peanuts !!! am not sure if can cut those for such a long period of time !! I love my food
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 17:08

BF:

That looks like a good combination hon, keep at it. I would eliminate peanuts for sure because they are prone to mold. Dairy is harder, I know. I don't think that is what is keeping the symptoms, I think that is because you are very toxic. Let me know how you are doing in a few days.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-06, 03:12

BF:

ok frisbena thanks again, I am supposed to continue these tablets for 45 days - but how do I know that I am cured after the 45 days? if all the die off symptoms disappear does this mean I am cured?

thanks again
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-06, 07:02

BF:

Unfortunately you are never "cured" of Candida because it tends to create alot of other issues which allow it to take hold again. The best thing you can do when you are done is do one month on L-Glutamine 5 grams a day to repair the mucosal lining of the gut. Candida organisms form roots into your digestive system and when they die they leave holes (leaky gut syndrome). L-Glutamine really helps to heal that as well as having the added benefit of lessening carbohydrate cravings.

Also please do take a daily probiotic (one that is protected and able to bypass the stomach acid). Ours is called Florasmart, another good one is the Pearl Probiotics (made by a few different companies). This will make the environment of your system one that the yeast can't proliferate. It also helps to keep us regular and to produce different vitamins.

After the 45 days you should feel more energetic, clearer headed and be thrush/yeast infection free. Most people do have to treat candida yearly although on this WOE you are starving the yeast of their food source for the most part so you may just have it licked.

Good luck
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-06, 00:00

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

The only way to cure candida is the three part system......candida killing meds, candida free diet, and putting the good bacteria back in.......if you don't do all 3.......you will fail.

Get the probiotics dandydown is talking about. It's a one-two punch for killing the candida.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 06:42

BF:

Thanks Malulani, today it was my only chance to go and get enough anti candi ingrediants so that I'd stick to the diet bit. I also bought Acidophilus, with 100mg Pectin (not sure what that means lol) its suppose to supply 3 billion viable cells... I also got some probiotic Mints !!! I hope this is sufficient, all the food and health store stuff was quite expensive, so am just going to stick to those for the time being and see how it goes !!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Die-off

The very best thing I've done for die-off and energy is undenatured whey protein powder 2x a day! and 200-400mcgs of selenium!!! http://tinyurl.com/cuzcc
This site offers sooo much info it's a bit overwhelming. I was sooo constipated before adding the selenium and couldn't lose any weight and I was miserable! I've lost 10 lbs in the last month after adding the whey and selenium. I feel sooo great, too. I have been killing the candida for 4 mos now and have a long way to go!
You are still killing yeast and fungus after you have no die-off symptoms, your body is just killing it off in a more manageable amount. The toxins are what's giving you the die-off.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 15:20

Plan: Duncan's choice
Stats: 165/160/160 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default Glad I could help

I just happened on this testimonial and I'm quite pleased. I own the site at http://tinyurl.com/cuzcc and I'm glad people are using some of that little-known information and presumably, the references, because that's the best part, isn't it?

I'm Duncan Crow, and I recommend also the candidasis group; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis, the most scientific and accurate group for bowel disorders.
We've busted at least half a dozen health myths, candida myths, cholesterol myths, the "dairy" myth, and so on.

A large group of more than 4100, most have to "low-carb" to curb their candida and other bowel disorders. At least, they might call it low carbing, but I call it optimal-carb because it's not particulary calorie-restricted, just a healthy all-purpose diet we should have had in the first place.

Low carbing isn't my wholistic specialty but it's helped a lot of people get well and its how I run this body, too

That brings us back to the whey. Make sure it's low-temperature extracted, undenatured, or language to that effect.

All the best,

Duncan Crow