Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 18:56

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default Question about oil of oregano

I know that OOO is a natural antibiotic, but does anybody know if it can effect the birth control pill like a regular antibiotic?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 05:57

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Good question, I also have one:
OOO is contraindicated during pregnancy/lactation as it is a uterine stimulant and also a mucosa irritant. I'm breastfeeding and have been using coconut oil that is not very effective. Is there anything else I can safely use? I also might be pregnant.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 07:16
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malulani
I know that OOO is a natural antibiotic, but does anybody know if it can effect the birth control pill like a regular antibiotic?
There are no known drug interactions with oregano oil.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 07:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany
Good question, I also have one:
OOO is contraindicated during pregnancy/lactation as it is a uterine stimulant and also a mucosa irritant. I'm breastfeeding and have been using coconut oil that is not very effective. Is there anything else I can safely use? I also might be pregnant.
IMO oregano oil can be used while breastfeeding with no problems. I have two clients who used it while breastfeeding with no problem. One as her baby, because of the yeast, was born with thrush, she took it internally, rubbed it on her nipples and on the baby's feet. One of them also used it while pregnant with no problem. Personal experience is limited to these two clients.

However, I have to advise you to seek a physician's input before you use it.

Oil of oregano is a food albeit a powerful one. IMO, use of OOO after the first trimester would insure a better pregnancy.

IMO, I do not think it is contraindicated during breastfeeding.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 08:04.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 07:36

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Thank you so much!
How about topically? Down there...
How do I need to dilute?
I have tried CO and yogurt. Nothing takes away the itch. Zinc oxide cream helps to reduce it but doesn't kill yeast. CO worked for my baby when she had a diaper yeast. It cleared up in two days so I don't know why it doesn't work for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:02
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thank you so much!
How about topically? Down there...
How do I need to dilute?
You can use it topically in and around your vaginal area. If you have the essential oil you do have to dilute it before use. If it is already mixed, it depends on your own tolerance limits. You can use it straight (it will burn) or mix it with a little CCO (it will sting).

You can use your fingers or a cotton swipe, whichever you're comfortable with.

For the duration make sure you wear cotton underwear. Nylon fosters yeast growth.

Quote:
CO worked for my baby when she had a diaper yeast. It cleared up in two days so I don't know why it doesn't work for me.
The baby is much smaller, the yeast wasn't as invasive, the area was dryer.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:12

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

What I have done is take a small clove of garlic, thread some heavy thread (or double the thread) through the garlic with a needle...insert the garlic at night in your vagina and take out in the morning.... Works very very well!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:12

Hey Zul...you a doctor or something...or a naturopath...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:22
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hey Zul...you a doctor or something...or a naturopath...
Not officially a naturopath yet. I'll be starting a course for my Masters soon.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 09:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Zule, I have a question as well.

Is a symptom of yeast die off a lot of unpleasant burping? I hadn't taken OOO for a few days and took some again this morning. Now I feel like I have acid reflux (which ive never had) and a lot of unpleasant burping. Also, I have been feeling CONSTANTLY nauseous over the past few days.

Thankfully I'm at least a LOT less tired this morning.

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 13:48
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
Zule, I have a question as well.

Is a symptom of yeast die off a lot of unpleasant burping? I hadn't taken OOO for a few days and took some again this morning. Now I feel like I have acid reflux (which ive never had) and a lot of unpleasant burping. Also, I have been feeling CONSTANTLY nauseous over the past few days.

Thankfully I'm at least a LOT less tired this morning.

Thanks!
Could be, especially the nauseau. OTOH, did you drink a full glass of water after taking the OOO? Sometimes, if you don't the OOO doesn't get all the way down thus the reflux and burping.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 09:14

Hey Zul,

Thanks for the info on the OOO, I have been taking .5 mg...in the dropper but want to double the dosage. I have been reading up on it and there are some suggestions that what they are selling on the market in some places is not possibly true oregano oil so I thought I would increase it. I am thinkiing about purchasing it from the North American Spice company after using this bottle up. It is 3 or 4 times the price though... I'm thinking that might be in a more natural state... Something tells me that the strength that I am usiing is not going to kill the yeast totally... Yesterday I ACCIDENTALLY had cheese and a baked potatoe and the rash increased underneath my breast... So, I'm wondering if I need to do some sort of cleanse to increase the die off...

Also, I am having the burping too which probably is due to not drinking enough water behind it...

Also, happy to hear that you are getting your master's... I would love to get mine but it's quite expensive and I don't have those resoures right now... I think I've given up on that dream lol... I was reading up on becoming a naturopath yesterday, it seems that there are differing perspectives on that...

Thanks again!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 09:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I don't mean to be rude, I promise.

How in the world can you accidentally eat a baked potatoe?

I really am not being serious but the picture it calls to mind is sort of funny. Like blindfolded eating or something?

I'm sorry to hear you had a setback, though. Setbacks can just be a pain in the ass and the killer is when you beat yourself up about them. But, I guess you just gotta pull yourself back up and keep on keeping on.

I'm doing well today. No burping after the OOO probably because i really washed that sucker down. I also had coconut oil and I'm feeling all warm inside. I sure hate 'eating' it though. Others say they like the taste of it floating in coffee, but for me, BLECH!

I'm also going to get apple cider vinegar next time i'm at the store.

And, I FINALLY think my vitamin D stores are up and my iron stores are up!!!! *CELEBRATE!* i'm not tired today.

there is hope at the end of the tunnel!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 09:38
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hey Zul,

Thanks for the info on the OOO, I have been taking .5 mg...in the dropper but want to double the dosage. I have been reading up on it and there are some suggestions that what they are selling on the market in some places is not possibly true oregano oil so I thought I would increase it. I am thinkiing about purchasing it from the North American Spice company after using this bottle up. It is 3 or 4 times the price though... I'm thinking that might be in a more natural state... Something tells me that the strength that I am usiing is not going to kill the yeast totally... Yesterday I ACCIDENTALLY had cheese and a baked potatoe and the rash increased underneath my breast... So, I'm wondering if I need to do some sort of cleanse to increase the die off...

Also, I am having the burping too which probably is due to not drinking enough water behind it...

Also, happy to hear that you are getting your master's... I would love to get mine but it's quite expensive and I don't have those resoures right now... I think I've given up on that dream lol... I was reading up on becoming a naturopath yesterday, it seems that there are differing perspectives on that...

Thanks again!
You can double the dosage. You can take it 3-4 times a day. You can also rub the OOO on your skin, I always do so.

You can buy the essential oil and mix it yourself to the strength you want. I do that...it's much cheaper that way. I buy the NOW brand of OOO essential oil.

If it says oregano vulgare on the bottle it's true OOO. That doesn't say anything about how much it's diluted with oil though.

I was just talking to a friend re the naturopathy course. She advises me to buy a house first.

I really do want get the degree though.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 09:46
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
I don't mean to be rude, I promise.

How in the world can you accidentally eat a baked potatoe?

I really am not being serious but the picture it calls to mind is sort of funny. Like blindfolded eating or something?

I'm sorry to hear you had a setback, though. Setbacks can just be a pain in the ass and the killer is when you beat yourself up about them. But, I guess you just gotta pull yourself back up and keep on keeping on.

I'm doing well today. No burping after the OOO probably because i really washed that sucker down. I also had coconut oil and I'm feeling all warm inside. I sure hate 'eating' it though. Others say they like the taste of it floating in coffee, but for me, BLECH!

I'm also going to get apple cider vinegar next time i'm at the store.

And, I FINALLY think my vitamin D stores are up and my iron stores are up!!!! *CELEBRATE!* i'm not tired today.

there is hope at the end of the tunnel!
I'm so glad you're feeling better!!!

Yep, people don't realize that vitamin D brings your iron count up.

I love apple cider vinegar (ACV)!!!

I take my CCO straight. I could never stomach it in tea.

Keep up the good work!!!