Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%

HI!!

I'm in Burbank, but I usually just say LA!! It's right over the hill from me.

I've been lc'ing for a couple of years, but I still have a ways to go to get to my goal. I am still the only one of my group of friends and family that eats low carb. I would love to be able to go to a restauant and not be the only one giving the waitress a hard time!!

I'm surprised there aren't more people from LA! Everyone is so far away!!

Off to get more water.............
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:53

Plan: modified Atkins/Lean for Life
Stats: 257/235/130
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

Just wanted to stop in and say Hi again. I've been under the weather for the past 3 weeks and it has effecting my breathing and my ability to workout. I was just on a roll hitting the gym 5 days a week built up to 35 minutes on elipitical glider and feeling good. Then this cold hit me, turned into bronchitis and now I have a persistent cough. I know it is my seasonal asthma. Only gained 3 pounds back but I just hate not being able to workout.

Determined to get in the gym tomorrow. Even if I'm huffing puffing and coughing.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 11:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/179/150
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default low carb stores

hi ive been on the diet off and on for 2 years now and am new to this forum. i saw the questions about lc stores. Im origionally from the bay area and right now im living in chico (nor cal) the stores ive found are called juice etc in roseville, ca. www.juiceetc.com and greenbeanz in san ramon and fremont www.greenbeanz.com both stores carry a ton of low carb products.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 23:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 185/185/125
BF:33%/33%/20%
Progress: 0%
Default Zone Cooking Co-Op

I live in Redondo Beach, California. I am interested in a cooking co-op in this southern LA area. A cooking co-op is a group of people who prepare meals for one another on a rotating basis. You don't eat together, rather, one day a week you simply fix enough dinner for everyone in your co-op. The other days you rest and meals are delivered to you. I would like to do it from the Zone Diet. Interested?
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:17
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi there I didn't realize there was a CA thread untill today! WHO KNEW!? I go to Green Beanz alot in Fremont and also there is a low carb store in San Leandro with cheaper prices. Walmart in Pleasanton has some stuff and its cheaper then the one in Union City. Safeway is carrying the ice cream now (Atkins). It is 4.99 and in the case by the Klondike bars and such in a box. GNC also carries products but you have to get it when its on sale to get a deal. I'm a pretty frugal shopper and also don't do a lot of the low carb foods but when I do I know where to get it for the cheapest price! I live in the Fremont area, my girlfriend and I both attended a workshop at GreenBeanz/Catus after we started Atkins. It was informative but not by much if you read the entire book, and for some reason when we took the class in Fremont it was cheaper then in San Ramon... go figure this was in Jan. though so that could have changed. Anyway hello to all the other bay area folks!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 12:58

Stats: 145/134/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Talking Hello everyone!

Hey everyone. Im new to this forum. I live in Hayward California! Im pretty close to some of you. Ive just recently found the greenbeanz store in Fremont. I havent had a chance to stop in but im very excited about it! Ive been off and on the atkins diet for about 2 years. Im getting alittle tired off eggs and steak so I cant wait to buy some atkins bread, shakes, chocolate, etc!!! Ive had to start induction over again and im at day 2. Can anyone give me some head up on good tasting low carb products???? it would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: custom/Atkins
Stats: 152/145/138
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi there Folks

I'm in LA, in the valley like Shannon, but I happen to know the name of the store.

It is Greenbeenz and there are two, one in San Ramon and one in Hayward.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Talking MsVrcaSlt

hey msvrca!

i'm in san jose and i've been to greenbeanz- lots of low carb stuff but PRICEY! anyways, if you're every up to a lc get together..lemme know!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:05

Stats: 145/134/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

Wow, thanks!! That sounds like a good idea. Do you get together with other lc'ers often? that sounds like it would be alot of fun
Ive heard that greenbeanz is kind of expensive. Thats a bummer because im on a buget for lc foods
I found atkins shake mix at vitamin world. They also have some bars. So im stocking up on those. Thanks again.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:11
Registered Member

BF:

Green Beanz is overpriced on some stuffbut pretty good on other stuff if you get it on sale. Also they have a frequent shopper card and every month they mail you a check for 5% rebate on what you spent the previous month that you can use towards anything in the store. So far Wal-Mart is the cheapest I have found around the area and GNC you have to check weekly I got two boxes of indulde bars about a month ago for 12 dollars a box because they had coupons and they had them on sale. They are 27 dollars a box at Green Beanz. So its just a matter of shopping around for the things you like and knowing the prices. Wal-Mart is the cheapest for the shakes and some lc bars and candy. Green Beanz usually puts the bread on sale every month as well.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

msvrca-

walmart is definitely the cheapest around. you might also wanna try vitaglo and netrition (.coms) those are also good.

no, i've never gotten together with any of the bay area lcbrs but it seems like a good idea.

you and i are actually very close in age- i think you're a year younger... i would love to finally have someone to talk to who understands the lc way of life. lemme know if you ever wanna hang out sometime!
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 00:05

Plan: WW Core/South Beach
Stats: 245.6/211.9/160 Female 4' 11"
BF:32.6
Progress: 39%
Default Hello to all my fellow Californians

Hello to all my fellow Californians, Ridgecrest, Ca here
pleased to meet y'all.

Yes a bit of a Southern accent here, Was born in the South.
hello
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 18:47
Registered Member

BF:

I am up for any get togethers in the LA County area. I tried one once with some folks in the LA/O.C. area, but we were too far apart to make a habit of it. I am in Van Nuys and have been lc for about a year and half. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I have been on a stall for a long time.

MsVrcaSlt-
As far as lc foods go, you just have to jump in and start trying stuff. There seem to be a lot of sales all the time on-line and off, plus a lot of the stores offer samples along with min. orders.

Jeffiner-
Did they provide samples to taste at Greenbeanz's Atkins presentation? Or do you get stuff in a bag to take with you? I looked at the page, and it is not a cheap class.

I'm having really good success with weight training. I started it abuot 6 weeks ago to try to break this stall. 3 days a week and then three days of cardio. It has been really great for my shape, and you get the added bonus of raising your base metabolism, so that you burn more calories even when you are at rest, naturally. So far I don't think I have lost much weight, but I look much slimmer, due just to being trim.

So lets hook up! I have free time in the next two weeks, does anyone want to meet for lunch somewhere? There is a sandwich shop in Van Nuys that has low carb grocery products, and I think they serve low carb bread sandwiches too. It is called Humphrey Yogurt's on Van Nuys Blvd...

Any takers?
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:00
Registered Member

BF:

Hi there! To answer your question. GreenBeanz/Catus does offer some samples and always has something open on the counter to try especially when they get new products. Some stuff I would have never bought if they hadn't had a sample out on the counter. At the class we took they offered samples of pork rinds, some candy and I think a few other items. They also offered a huge bag full of goodies for $150.00. It had 15-20 different bars, some candy bars, a can of shake mix, 1 can of ready shakes, some supplements, a muffin mix and some coupons and I think some other stuff. I bought the bag but this was back in January so I'm not sure if they still offer it for the $150.00 price. The class was informative and helpful but only reinforced what you read in the book. I can't say there was a lot of "new learning". I like green beanz because I can get some LC items I can't get elsewhere but a lot of their stuff is overpriced compared to other places. There was a coupon in the Sunday paper for Atkins ice cream fifty cents off and I have also seen a lot of print ads for Atkins as well as Russle Stovers claiming they now have a candy for low carbers... I haven't seen it in the stores so I haven't read the label yet to see how true the claim is. It will be interesting to see if the food industry takes off with the LC way of eating like they did with the low fat. Would be nice. Anyway take care and have a great day!

#60   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info about Greenbeanz. I am opening a shop in West LA for Low carb groceries. I am going to try to post the dates when I open, if that is ok with this site. email me if you want to get something directly.