Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 222/212/180 Male 5'7"
BF:28%/22%/10%
Progress: 24%
Default Duh, I should have known this caused my stall.

I have to say I've been pretty frustrated since the beginning of the year trying to lose weight. Well, duh, I think I just figured out my problem. I've been on a statin and hypertension meds. No wonder I've been struggling, and nothing is working. I just found this info in the tips section:

Medications - There are a number of medications that can and will hinder your weight loss. Most notable are diuretics ("fluid pills"), both prescription and over-the-counter types. These will initially seem to make you lose MORE weight, as you lose excess body fluid. But when you are in active ketosis the LACK of fluid will inhibit fat-burning. Unfortunately, medications that are intended to lower your cholesterol will inhibit the liver from converting fat to glycogen, thus decreased fat-burning.

And duh, Akins mentions this in his DANDR.

Now that I think about it, ever since I've been on those damn meds I feel like **** (fatigue from Lipitor) and all screwy with water weight. This has to be the root of the problem, I never had trouble getting in shape in the past. Hell I used to eat tons of carbs, exercise, and lose alot. I also think that is why I feel bad in ketosis, like my body is not adapting well.

I'm going to switch to a natural program of Taurine, CoQ10, Carnitine, Garlic, and Fish Oil after I chat with my doc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 08:32
Registered Member

Also just read that statins raise insulin levels.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 15:41

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

There just is not much good to say about those drugs, is there? Are you going to try to stop the drugs completely and then do the keto and supplements? I would love to hear of your success.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 08:37

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketojoe
I'm going to switch to a natural program of Taurine, CoQ10, Carnitine, Garlic, and Fish Oil after I chat with my doc.

Hi Ketojoe,

Good Luck on your chat with your doctor!

He is not going to want to hear your are dropping Lipitor and trying the natural approach. I know - I have been there and against my doctors order's dropped the Lipitor and began to live life in the real world.

Sadly, I now suffer permanent muscle damage and glad I stopped before things got even worse.

I truly wish you luck and applaud you for taking control of your own health.
Always remember ...It is only you who knows your body the best.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 11:27
Registered Member

3/20/06:

Well after a week of being off Lipitor, my weight loss suddenly started moving downward. Damn statins. Basically they screw up your liver/fat metabolism, and spike insulin levels. No wonder I felt like crap. All my problems are gone. Energy back, no muscle weakness or headaches and weightloss!

Talk to your Doctor about getting off statins!