Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 08:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Widowmaker movie

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2...d-cac-longevity

Ivor Cummins gives a link for free viewing of Widowmaker for the weekend.

Quote:
Want to sit back and watch a fascinating movie, which exposes the corruption and deceit that robbed the world of the most powerful diagnostic scan to prevent heart attacks from happening? Grab the popcorn and see Gillian Anderson, Larry King and a host of eminent cardiologists reveal the riveting story of intrigue and big business influence which undermined us all.

Watch this movie...it could save your life. Free this weekend in glorious HD with the production values that cost millions of dollars to deliver. Note that you have to create a free vimeo account as part of the process - no big deal. Simply click the image below...but before Monday !!

Maybe not the popcorn.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 11:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I watched it to the end and it's Very interesting.
I also found it interesting how Texas was the first state to pass legislation requiring insurance companies to pay for the Calcium Score test, I did not know that.
Thanks Teaser
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 13:18

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Ok - looks like the free option is only for new members of Vimeo but it was only $1.10 to buy it so rather than create a new account just to get a free view I paid the $1.10

I thought it was an interesting and informative movie and I am anxious to get my own scan which hopefully I can get in January. Now at least I understand why years ago it seemed like everywhere was offering them, then they suddenly just "went away" for a while and are now coming back. Learning the history explained a lot of things.

Also let me play a bit of the devil's advocate here. I was disappointed that the movie focused so much on people who died, perhaps, as a result of not ever having the scan done or the scan not being made available, and only one example was shown, at the very end, of a person who used the scan to change their lifestyle. I think that at least as much emphasis, if not more, should have been used on how people can use the information.

Secondly, from articles I have read online, having a low calcium score can give one a false sense of security. There are other types of plaque buildup that can cause heart failures that don't show up in a calcium scan; so while a calcium scan can indicate heart disease, a low calcium score not any sort of proof that heart disease does not exist. I think more could have been discussed about other kinds of plaque and blockages and how best technology can be used to detect and treat those types of situations.

Lastly, it sounded to me like statins were being pushed over surgical treatment.

Again, I plan to have one done as soon as I can but I think the movie could have been more informative.