Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-15, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Aspirin vs NSAID (FDA warning increased, stroke and heart attack risk)

http://ketopia.com/lowly-aspirin-ve...id-challengers/

Long article by Fred and Alice Ottoboni, Conclusion is

Aspirin is Not Just an Analgesic Anymore

Aspirin is a unique medication. There is no other drug known that can do what aspirin does. As important as aspirin is in its fundamental role in modifying inflammatory eicosanoid pathways, perhaps of even greater consequence for the health and well being of present and future generations are the more recent discoveries of the hitherto unsuspected role of aspirin in resolution (the healing process) and the unanticipated existence of whole new classes of aspirin-triggered anti-inflammatory eicosanoids and docosanoids, also termed lipid mediators, that have been uncovered by the research into aspirin’s mechanism of action.(9)

“Inflammation is now widely appreciated in the pathogenesis of many human diseases. These extend from the well-known inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and periodontal disease to those not previously linked to aberrant inflammation that today include diseases affecting many individuals such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, asthma, and Alzheimer’s disease”.(4)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-15, 20:58

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks, Janet, fascinating article. I always wondered why NSAIDS became so prevalent over the last 30 years, when I had never heard of them before. And I have found NSAIDS to be problematic for me--though they can put me to sleep and I don't understand that at all. Shows once again how we can't trust the drug companies to put our needs over chasing the profit margin.

I also found this passage very interesting and relevant:

"Biochemical Lesson: Aspirin alone without the long chain essential fatty acids, will not produce maximum health benefits. Dietary arachidonic acid is usually ample in the modern American diet, but dietary supplementation with EPA and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the principal essential omega-3 fatty acids in fish, cod liver, krill oils, and animal fats, in a low-carbohydrate or ketogenic diet are required for aspirin to do its work."

Once again, fatty acids, in particular the Omega-3's, are shown to be a critical part of our diet. I'm wondering about the long-term affects of our society moving from pasture-fed to grain-fed animals, and then on to low-fat diets on top of that!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 02:41

I couldn't follow the biochemistry of all the COX enzymes and the various acids, but they clearly pointed out which reactions make NSAIDS potentially dangerous and why the FDA raised the warning for stroke and heart attack..this is the first I have heard of it. And one more reason the advice to follow a low fat diet will turn out to be the biggest health disaster of our lifetimes.
I occasionally take an Advil if had a hard day of gardening or exercise...makes me go to sleep also. Assumed it was the relief from low level muscle aches...I won't be doing that anymore!

The People's Pharmacy was on it...reminder to self..read them more regularly. They add a link to DVT.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015...s-ignores-dvts/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 03:07

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I do not take nsaids. They cause nasty gastro-intestinal problems for me but when they first came out they solved my monthly problem of severe disabling menstrual cramps, a problem that age has taken care of permanently. At that time they did not effect my digestion. There is something biochemically that makes nsaids better than any other pain reliever for menstrual cramps. I no longer remember why that is and probably never understood the science of it, but it worked when nothing else had and it also convinced doctors that these cramps were not all in a woman's head, that they were a real physical problem, not an emotional problem. Ah doctors...I avoid all drugs, over the counter and prescription whenever possible but if I were still young I suspect I would opt to take nsaids just to be able to keep functioning.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 05:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Interesting indeed. I do have aspirin in the house and try to limit myself to an aspirin or two for minor aches and pains. I'm just back from an 1800-mile road trip and I took an aspirin every day of the trip!

But for serious pain I find aspirin doesn't really do it, and ibuprofen seems to be the only OTC drug that helps. About 30 years ago I had a problem for months and months of *excruciating* pain from the right side of my head, down the neck, down the right arm, down to the fingers. My right arm was essentially useless. Too much pain to hold a pen or pencil, could not tie my shoes, could only type left-handed. The only thing that helped a bit was ibuprofen, taken 4-6 at a time (less than 4 did nothing), and the doctor said that was fine! So for about 6 months I went through a bottle of ibuprofen every week! Guess I was lucky, but also much younger then and in better general health. (And no, doctors never figured out the source of my pain except that for six months I was in unbearable agony, and then one morning I woke up pain-free and feeling perfectly fine. Exactly like my "gall bladder" saga from eight years ago or so)

I'm doing my best to stick with aspirin these days though as I had read about heart issues with other NSAIDs just in the past year or so somewhere.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 06:05

Ummm...let's hope the NSAIDs also taken in my past for arthritis haven't caused permanent damage. Following a doctor's off label advice (OK, he is a vet ) was 2 Advil alternated with 2 Tylenol, so taking something every few hours and getting "synergy". Yeah, right, probably both heart and brain damage
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 08:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just a warning: aspirin is is is an NSAID. It might work differently, but it is still the same sort of thing. It is also linked to bleeding ulcers which are very serious and potentially deadly. I don't know if aspirin is worse than other NSAIDs for that, or not. I just read it raises your risk by 30% for a gastric bleeding incident, but NSAIDs do too (not sure by how much).

I might try going back to it for my back pain issues, which are better at the moment anyway.

Damn... good to know about the blood clots! I've got a bad gene for that.

More Research: It sounds like topical aspirin creams might be the solution to the gastric issues.

Janet: You left out liver damage from the acetaminophen. :\

Also... combining other NSAIDs with aspirin was reported as dangerous in one article I read, triples the risk of bleeding.

http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/nsaids.shtml

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Aug-11-15 at 10:32.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 12:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

When I was younger, and still experiencing such things, I went through a time of having severe menstrual cramps on the first day of my period every month. Leaving it alone didn't help, they just continued till I took a dose of asperin, and then they were done till the next month. One time I had some heavy duty ibuprofin in the house, prescribed for something else, and took that, as ibuprofin is usually the "go to" drug for period pain. It did absolutely nothing for me, and then I had to wait for several hours till I could take a couple of asperin, which did its magic within half an hour. I tossed the rest of the ibuprofin after that. I have always felt that if asperin works why should I look to the newer drugs, with more side effects? It does work for me (though I take it nowadays only for my, rare, headaches), and I have never had stomach issues from it. I've found that lavender essential oil rubbed on my temples often will prevent a headache from reaching the "asperin" stage.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I, too, used to take a lot of NSAIDs. As a nurse, I knew that they were had three effects: analgesic (pain relief) antipyretic (fever reducing) and anti-inflammatory.

About 10 years ago, I heard of several studies that noted that NSAIDs that were in the ibuprofen family had the side effect of rebound inflammation. In other words, they lower inflammation, but it bounces back, even worse. ASA (aspirin) doesn't seem to do that.

Now, with the further information that they can have severe negative effects on the circulatory system, I will only take an occasional naproxen (and just one) when my post concussion headaches get amped up by something else like sinus or neck pain from the whiplash injury that led to the concussion.

But mostly, I take nothing but water and rest, when I'm hurting. LOL, the neurologist I went to soon after the accident said in her notes that I'm "medically naive" because I refused her offers of trigger point injections (with steroids) pain meds (with NSAIDs and semi-synthetic opioids) and muscle relaxants (with a long list of potential common side effects like constipation and nightmares).
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 12:28
Experimenter

BF:

The doctor I recently saw told me not to worry about taking a daily naproxen. :\ I think they're utterly clueless.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 08:38
Experimenter

BF:

#12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 12:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I keep vowing to avoid these things, and then I cave. The other day I had a big computer project I needed to do and worked on it for a few hours, until I began to develop a back ache. I rarely get serious backache and usually getting up, walking around, doing some stretching does the trick. So I did all of the above and my back hurt worse and worse. I got an ice pack and lay in bed, but it hurt woese. I took a couple aspirin but it was useless, a couple hours later took two more aspirin but it did nothing. Then I got a heating pad for my back but the pain just intensified.

So finally I caved and took ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is the only OTC I've found that (for me) actually helps with serious pain. An hour or so after taking the ibuprofen the pain finally began to ease. I felt scared of side effects when I took it, but when you are in serious pain you are often willing to do anything.

Next day back felt fine and no problems since though I've spent more long hours at the computer. Though it was later that same night I wound up in the ER with suspected food poisoning. Anyone ever hear of backache as a precursor to food poisoning?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 12:27

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Interesting stuff everyone!

I want to warn anyone who takes NSAIDS and tylenol type products regularly that you should get your kidney and liver functions checked regularly. I have permanently compromised kidney function due to one of those doctors who said NSAIDS weren't bad. I quit them and took tylenol, until my kidney function took another nosedive. No more tylenol either. I do take a baby aspirin every day.

My orthopedic surgeon warned me that NSAIDS also slow down bone growth, after I had a back fusion and needed to grow bone. We decided together that it would be good for me to continue the baby aspirin. Two years later the bone grafts in my back were all grown in.

I quit my tylenol habit about 6 months ago. I do not know if it was losing 35 pounds or just the low carb diet (or both) that keeps my arthritis enough in check that I can now survive with a pain med after needing them for 10 years.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-15, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/260/225 Male 6'-2"
BF:
Progress:

Great I at times live on Advil due to shoulder and hip aches and pains. Need surgery on both. It always worked for me better than any other OTC pain med. Not that important any more, but Advil was the best for my hang overs and my morning after the night before syndrome.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-15, 10:39
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Based on this information, I should be dead

I went back to college and got my Culinary Arts certification when I was 50. Working 10hr shifts in a restaurant, 50 years old, 5'2" tall brings with it much pain. I didn't bother to count how many ibuprofen I took every day. I just tossed them back by the hands full.

Guess I'm lucky to be healthy and alive.