Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 12:21

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Quest Bars?

I've seen a lot about these lately - and I did just try one yesterday, wasn't that impressed with the tasted, but was just curious what others thought about them. I would say they taste better than some of the atkins bars just in terms of the chemically after taste those seem to have sometimes.

I didn't about it till after the fact, but following (loosely) an atkins diet is the whey protein that's in them an issue for atkins'ers? I've also read some diabetics have varied reactions to these. I'm actually out of test strips right now so I didn't test before/after eating this one, so I may have screwed up big time on this one! Just curious what others thought about them!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 14:34

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I quit Atkins bars because they mostly use soy. When I asked if the Soy was a Genetically Modified Organism or not, they answered with the fact that the FDA considers GMOs safe.

I told them the FDA considered Vioxx safe when the tests showed that people taking Vioxx were 500 times more likely to have a heart attack, and in the 5 years Vioxx was on the market, it killed more Americans than the entire Viet Nam war. They answered, "I know".

I don't eat GMO products. That means besides for sugar, I don't anything with soy, corn, canola, or cottonseed in the ingredients unless either organic or certified non-GMO. And that means even if it's something like "dextrose" in the ingredients, (Corn) I boycott. I also avoid zucchini and yellow squash.

So Quest has decent ingredients, and I like a few of the flavors. I don't eat them daily, but there are times when you need some kind of portable food, and they do the trick.

They don't seem to adversely affect me in any way.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quest bars are pretty good in terms of ingredients. However, I tend to binge eat them, so I stopped at buying 1 box.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 19:37

BF:

I think I'm afraid to ask - I didn't see the link, why do you avoid zucchini and squash? Just had those tonight!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 08:41

BF:

Why do I avoid zucchini, yellow squash, corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, (and sugar) unless either organic or certified non-GMO?

GMO crops are plants that have been genetically modified to resist the herbicides found in "Round Up" and "Agent Orange".

These seemed to work well at first, but the weeds also evolved to resist the herbicides (now called super-weeds) and that requires ever escalating massive amounts of herbicides applied to the crops. Both of these herbicides are strongly implicated in causing many diseases including cancer, and food grown with them are banned in over 60 countries on this planet. These countries ban the use and ban the importing of food grown with these chemicals.

Due to the massive amount of herbicides needed to kill the super-weeds, a lot of the herbicides are absorbed into the plant, and then into you when you eat them.

Almost all of the corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, yellow squash, zucchini, and sugar beets grown in the USA are "Round Up" and/or "Agent Orange" ready. Monsanto and Dow have genetically modified the plants to be resistant to the herbicides, and then they make a fortune both selling the seeds and the herbicides which require ever increasing dosages.

Plus corn has had an insecticide spliced into it's genome. The insecticide works by perforating the intestines of the bugs that eat the corn. The incidence of leaky gut syndrome has skyrocketed since this has been introduced, true that could be coincidence or due to something else, but personally I think it's a good thing to avoid.

Of course the FDA says GMO foods are safe. But the FDA said that Vioxx is safe even though in the drug trials, it was proven that the people taking Vioxx had a 500% greater chance of getting a heart attack as opposed to the control group that took Naproxen (Aleve). And it didn't work any better. When the FDA and Merck fudged the reports they said that Naproxen was 500 times better at preventing a heart attack - Naproxen has never been even suggested as being a heart drug.

Vioxx was approved, and in the 5 years it was on the market, Vioxx killed more Americans than the entire Viet Nam war did. When the fact couldn't be hidden any more, the FDA fined Merck about .001% of it's profits (about the cost of a Superbowl ad). Nobody was tried for mass murder.

So when the FDA tells you GMO crops are safe, and over 60 other countries have banned them as being unsafe, I don't know about you, but I'll avoid them.

So if they are not either organic or certified GMO free, I'll not consume them. Plus I will avoid the foods that have them hidden or obvious in the list of ingredients.

I'd hate to be in the hospital, told to get my affairs in order, and wonder if I just avoided eating that junk would I still be healthy and have many more years to live.

Of course I could be just erring on the side of caution. Perhaps in 10 years those other countries will find out they made a mistake and lift the ban on these foods (I doubt it though). But until then, I don't want to be Monsanto and Dow's "Lab Rat".

I don't ask for a ban on these foods, just a label. When you cross a tangerine with a pomelo, it becomes a tangelo. So why when you cross corn with an insecticide and anti-herbicide is it still called corn and not GMO corn?

Because Monsanto and Dow are part of the oligarchy that actually runs this country.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 20:41

BF:

I was understanding the part about gmo's just wasn't sure they were also used on those particular vegetables. But wouldn't that be the case with any fruit vegetable? Lettuce, peppers, brussel sprouts - anything allowed on a LC woe? That's why I was asking about those two specifically. You'd have to eat everything organic, right? And even then have to dig/research to ensure that even that label of organic is accurate!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 08:10

BF:

So far those are the only two GMO vegetables (unless you consider a sugar beet a vegetable) that I have found.

I don't eat many veggies, so I'm sure there are probably others.

There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't eat some other veggies due to pesticide residue. Search for the "Dirty Dozen" to find that.

It's quite sad when the corporate oligarchy that runs this country makes quarterly profits more important than the health and safety of the citizens of this country.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 16:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't eat some other veggies due to pesticide residue.

Which is why I'm willing to pay extra for organically grown lettuce. It's something I eat a lot of and don't see any reason why I should be eating a lot of chemical residue with it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 20:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
So far those are the only two GMO vegetables (unless you consider a sugar beet a vegetable) that I have found.

Bob

This is what I was unclear on.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 20:05

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Back to the Quest bars, yes, I like them and consider them a treat when I want something sweet. I was able to get a sampler box so I have tried them all. I think my fave would be a raspberry one. Although the PBJ one is pretty good.

Occasionally, I will eat one for breakfast. And, tomorrow, I am going to try and take one into a baseball game. I will put it clear to the bottom of my purse so when the ushers look inside, they won't see it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 10:04

BF:

I like the Cookies And Cream, Coconut and Cashew, and Cinnamon Bun the best.

I had a long road trip yesterday, and took my 'emergency food' with me. It saved the day.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 12:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

It says on the front of the wrapper that they dont contain sugar alcohols, but in the list of ingredients its says "erythritol", which I thought was a sugar alcohol??

Is this me being dumb??

Jo xxx
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 19:01

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Jo, good question.

It worked, I snuck in my Quest bar at the ball game. I carry a purse and of course was asked to open it so the usher could look in. I buried it in one of the pockets under my breath mints in a tin. LOL
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 22:51

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

yaaaaayyy so glad it worked !!! (better than a 20 dollar hot dog) Never tried quest bars, probably shouldn't but may have to buy one tomorrow, you got me at rasberry LOL!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 09:17

BF:

I believe erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol, but it has a glycemic index of zero and doesn't cause intestinal distress (at least that's what I've read). I have no problems with it.

I used to use Atkins bars for emergency food, until I found out they use GMO soy in the ingredients. The Quest bars use no soy, and overall I like the ingredients much better than the competition.

But still, they are either 'road food' or 'emergency food' for me. I don't rely on them as a mainstay of nutrition.

Bob