Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-12, 12:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Thyroid panel test results

I've linked my first thryoid panel test results. Both FT4 and FT3 are low. I'm going to wait for the results of my salivary cortisol tests before taking any corrective action. In the meantime, feel free to comment on my test results.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-12, 15:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your FT3 is like mine when I don't take any. It falls just below the low cutoff.

Your T4 is only a bit lowish... maybe.

I think your issue is the same as mine, rotten T4->T3 conversion.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-12, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Your FT3 is like mine when I don't take any. It falls just below the low cutoff.

Your T4 is only a bit lowish... maybe.

I think your issue is the same as mine, rotten T4->T3 conversion.

The lowish T4 could be a physiologic adaptation to low carb and therefore, lowered insulin. The question about the poor conversion is "Why"? I hope the adrenal assessment clarifies that.

BTW — What do you do for thyroid/adrenal support and how much do you take?

Last edited by aj_cohn : Thu, Nov-01-12 at 18:09.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-12, 06:18

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I can't link to them.

I just wanted to add to AJ that I won my two year battle with a hearing for disability on Nov. 1. YEAH!

But talking to people from other countries and trying to self treat with things that involve heart rhythm are not a good thing. I never self treated, I've never advocated for self treatment and after having a very good and very young friend DIE from it.

So, good luck to you, I happen to know Kaiser docs (friend in Cali has a doc Kaiser who won't do FT3, she gets her own then shows it to the doc) will RX Cytomel. Get brand name if you can afford it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-12, 06:20

BF:

to add: that NO conversion at all in a male usually goes hand in hand with EBV titres and low testosterone too.

When FT4 is at your level yet no FT3 shows, your adrenals are usually ok too..but 4x in one day salivary kit...doc can order think you can get that yourself if you order from Canary Club.

Also..other things in males can cause this pattern...but I PERSONALLY would want a RX from the doc for low T3. Would be nice to see a RT3 too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 12:22

Pam,

Congrats on getting a disability hearing!

I think I'm doing some T4-->T3 conversion, as shown by the test. After I do the 4-collection cortisol test, I might learn why my conversion is impaired. I'll consult my Kaiser doc. after I get those test results. I will not self-medicate. At worst, I'll get the supervision of a local ND.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 18:54

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Here's another perspective on self-treaters.

They are striking out on their own, scared as they are, because The Right Way (according to the media/government/family/general public) hasn't worked for them AT ALL, and they refuse to throw away any more life or money in a futile pursuit.

....Doesn't that describe everyone on this forum?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 04:49

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 225/195/160 Female 5' 7-3/4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

But, but, but....you're not even IN range with FT3, you're below range so where's that conversion coming from???? I can't imagine how you feel with your FT3 way down there.

(hi Pam....waving)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-12, 06:38

BF:

(Hi Terry...waving back!!)

I agree he most likely needs T3, period (but low testosterone, EBV titres, etc. are likely culprits with very low T3).

Terry..you are the 'friend with Kaiser'..will you please expound on how you 'get' T3 (and no, she doesn't get it without a RX and testing) and your testing? And thanks for looking at thread, appreciate that.

AJ..I WON my case with backpay 2 years....woohoo!! That's a big relief.

T3 'runs heart rhythm'...and when people talk about using it without a doctor doing and interpreting tests (and yes, I'm not stupid, I know you need to find 'doctor 'right') you are running a lot of risks. Even I have crumbly bones, not JUST from my hyperparathyroidism years ago, but from a doctor who didn't rein me in from too much T3. But you need SOME...and I'm not a doctor, and neither are the people saying to 'procure' it.

I suppose since I'm just words on a board (is that what we all are? I don't think so..I view as individuals) that it doesn't matter I've lost a friend to too much hormone T3, right? I'm living proof that can happen and she died thinking the advice SHE got on a forum was 'correct'.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 00:39

BF:

How'd I get T3 from a Kaiser doctor? I begged pretty much. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Something was wrong and I knew it. I had a fight with my now ex-doctor and got a referral to the endo department (DO Something or refer me to someone who Will!). Since I couldn't stay awake in the afternoons I Knew Something was wrong. I stressed the point of the fatigue and not being able to stay awake in the afternoon. It was horrible and just Not Me and I really wanted something done about it. So I finally got a prescription for T3 to go with the T4 I was taking. This is about 3.5 years ago now and I was on T4 only since 1998 before that (and probably should have been my whole life). What a difference a little T3 made! I didn't know how bad I felt until I felt good again. It was a world of difference.

Kaiser will not run FT3 tests, I've tried. They Used to, probably back 5+ years ago or so. I'm not sure why they stopped. They say "it's not medically necessary" now. Well, I can tell you what I think of That statement! They only go by TSH but will run a FT4 once...in...awhile, not every time. They ran FT3 Once with me but it doesn't show up on any of my lab results online any longer (interesting that they don't show it but I have a copy they sent me of results in the mail with it).

I did the route AJ did and got my own labs done through healthcheckusa. Although at the time, I had normal HMO medical coverage with Kaiser so they ran their tests and I got my own done also so I could get the FT3 done. The ranges at healthcheckusa are a little different but that doesn't matter because we can still figure out where we are on any lab ranges.

Now, I have the deductible plan where I have to pay for pretty much everything and I'll get my own labs and send the results to them. I figure if I have to pay for them anyway I'll get the tests I want run done.

Right now I'm getting my prescriptions at Costco because I can get them for less money than at Kaiser since I have the deductible plan (and they have Paddock Generic T3). I'm on generic T3 Liothyronine (Mylan manufacturer Works for me but the Paddock Did Not). Brand Cytomel is out of my price range now. Luckily the Mylan T3 works for me and Costco will specifically order it (they normally give out the Paddock).

As for too much T3, it can be pretty darn scary. They gave me too much at first and Didn't tell me to split it 2x/day. 12.5 mcg. T3 Unsplit to start was Way too much for me so we backed it down to 5 mcg. a day for a week or 2, then 5 mg. 2x/day after that. I eventually worked back up but it took a year and a half. There's No way I'd ever self dose with T3 without consulting a doctor.

It's really too bad that doctor's don't believe us about how we Feel, especially where thyroid is considered. It's like pulling teeth to get things done. We know our bodies better than they do.

Last edited by watcher513 : Fri, Nov-16-12 at 03:04.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 13:06
Experimenter

BF:

How much does costco charge for their generic cytomel? I'm paying $45 dollars from Walmart for 60 5mg pills and that's with about a $10 discount.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 17:02

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

You can get Cytomel from supermarkets???

You are kidding me!!!

Please tell me this is a joke!!!

Amanda
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 17:04
Experimenter

BF:

Uh... from the pharmacy that is part of Walmart.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-12, 04:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How much does costco charge for their generic cytomel? I'm paying $45 dollars from Walmart for 60 5mg pills and that's with about a $10 discount.

Nancy, my guess is that's for the generic T3 made by Paddock that Walmart has? You're lucky if it works for you. Since I can't use that one (it was a disaster when I did but it took me a month or so to figure out it wasn't working for me) I've only found 2 places in my area (Northern CA) that will order generic T3 from Mylan via their distributors directly because they usually carry the one from Paddock. Those 2 are Costco and Walgreens. From what I read at the time, and I had to dig back aways on another site, but other people were having the same problem with the Paddock not working for them but the Mylan did. I thought it was just me...it wasn't.

The last time I picked it up (early-mid Oct.) it was $91.xx for 100, 25 mcg. I don't know if the Mylan is less than the Paddock or if they've all gone up now because the Paddock is showing as 98.77 for the same thing, 100 25's. They don't show prices for the Mylan on their site, just brand Cytomel and the generic Paddock which anyone can look up (since it's public info, go to the Costco site and click on Pharmacy at the top, then when you get to that page, on the left is a Price Checker button, then it's alphabetical by name).

For the 5 mcg. liothyronine generic T3 (Paddock) it says 25.58 for 30, 38.60 for 50, and 72.32 for 100.

For 5 mcg. Cytomel it's 36.18 for 30, 56.98 for 50 and 107.25 for 100.

The problem was, I was on Cytomel for about a year until my insurance changed from regular HMO to deductible. Cytomel works a bit better (stronger?) than the generic, for me anyway and I'd imagine everyone. When I was on brand Cytomel I was taking two 5 mcg. tablets 2x/a day. So for 100 day prescription, that's 400 pills. However, with the generic I can split one 25 mcg. generic T3 and take the 12.5 mcg. 2x/day and it works out to about the same strength as the brand Cytomel.

Oh, and if people don't know this, you Do Not need to be a member of Costco to use the pharmacy. Anyone can, no membership required for just prescriptions, you just can't buy anything else without a membership.