Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 14:10

Plan: just reserching
Stats: 220/195/175 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default New to this

Hi there, I have had Thyroid problems for twenty years from severe Hypo to severe Hyper I have never heard that there were foods I should avoid??? special diets ,I have struggled with weight for years just lost 22lbs but having a hard time getting more off .A friend who goes to a Homeopathic Dr. said there is a list of food you should avoid .Can someone please tell me where do you find the list of foods to avoid .I am in shock to find this out!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 14:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Google goitrogens. I'm of the opinion if your thyroid is optimally treated you don't really need to avoid them completely, just make sure they're cooked.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 17:30

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Google goitrogens. I'm of the opinion if your thyroid is optimally treated you don't really need to avoid them completely, just make sure they're cooked.

agree with Nancy, more important than the foods is getting optimized and then having the foods but cooking them

soy proteins or unfermented soy product are usually best to avoid, they interact with thryoid as well as repro hormones
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 21:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

That sucks.. I have a huge list of stuff I avoid.
Anything in the cabbage family, soy, alot of oils, peanuts, stawberries, gluten, turnips, almonds.. I would recommend searching it though.
Coconut oil is a big help, so they say anyway.. I mix it with cocoa and freeze it, its quite bitter but I love it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/182/130 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Iam new to the thyroid Threads. I have been on others.
oh well I am just checking in I have been gone since Jan or feb
and I have gained about 20 pounds. I did find out I had a thyroid issue. thats why I couldnt lose any weight even with only 20 carbs a day. so today I am starting over I am now on medication for my thyroid so will see if it helping. let's roll
for some of you that dont remember me I have lost 55 pounds in less then a year. I love the support I get hear.