Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 08:32
Registered Member

Plan: Gluten-free diet
Stats: 150/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Recently diagnosed with Candida - stomach issues with die-off?

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, 32 years old, and I'm glad i found it as I was recently diagnosed with candida. This is after years - YEARS - of feeling cruddy, from stomach problems (4 years) to yeast infections (chronic for 4 years) to sinus problems and food allergies (I was diagnosed as gluten-intolerant a couple years ago), and basically feeling tired all the time. So needless to say I'm glad I finally found a doctor that thinks he knows what it is!

I'm now on Diflucan, once a day, along with probiotics, and the doctor wants me to stay on it for 6-8 weeks. That sounded fine in the beginning, but it's been a week and I've had indigestion (gas, burping, pain) since I started taking it. It's not horrible, but annoying enough to make me want to stop the meds. Also, my palms have been burning/itching and feeling really tight (sounds strange but it's true!). I'm eating well - no sugar, no carbs, no fruit. Wondering if this is all related to die-off - any thoughts? Anyone else have stomach issues during treatment? I'd love to know that this will go away eventually...that would give me a reason to keep taking it.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 09:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yes, definately die off. Keep on keeping on and you will be rewarded in the end. Depending on how long youve had the candida, the die off can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months... but really, stay strict to the diet, add in some other supplements (vitamin D, vitamin C, oil of oregano, and coconut oil) and you will be on the right path.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks Athenea - That's good to hear. This is a bummer but if it makes me feel at least human in the end I'm keeping with it. My doc didn't mention coconut oil or oil of oregano. What do those do?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 08:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Both are potent antifungals if i'm not mistaken. they help the diflucan kill more yeast. there are numerous threads on this particular forum about ooo (oil of oregano) and coconut oil. the problem is, if you are already having bad die off with the diflucan, if you add more antifungals, the die off will worsen. if you do decide to start taking ooo, dont take a whole lot at first, build up to taking a lot. you can get both ooo and coconut oil at GNC.

i also found vitamin D supplementation to help a ton. its a deficiency that not a lot of doctors look for, but is incredibly prevalent. i cant remember where you live, but usually anyone north of south carolina might have a vitamin D defiency. the normal range is 50 and even after supplementing 7000 IU for three months, my range was 34. says a lot!

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/216/156 Female 5'7"
BF:35%/35%/20 -25%
Progress: 6%
Default Joining the Club

Hi, KelsterM,

I'm Lillibet. New to the forum. I, too, was diagnosed with a severe case of candida albicans about 15 years ago. Started out taking Chinese herbs, but that was very expensive. Went on Atkins, plus I used Capricin, which one can find at any good health food store. I was in college at the time, taking a statistics class, and prior to finding help my head was so foggy I literally could not think straight. I remember that once I began watching my diet and using Capricin, it was as though I'd walked out into the sunlight after having been in a dark room. Colors were vibrant. Explanations made sense. On and on.

FYI, garlic is also a very good way to kill off candida. There's a book that is more or less the bible on yeast. It's called "The Yeast Syndrome" by a Dr. Crook. Can't remember his first name. It has a lot of good info in it, though I don't know if it's been updated.

Best of luck,
Lillibet
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 14:59

KelsterM,

I think I misquoted. I believe the name of the book I mentioned is "The Yeast Connection." Sorry about that!

Lillibet
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 08:31

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Re: the books

The Yeast Syndrome - John Parks Trowbride (and Morton Walker)

The Yeast Connection - William G. Crook

I bought both for 75¢ on half.com!! I thought The Yeast Syndrome was the most helpful...Trowbridge (1987) provides a lot of medical and wholisic remedies and a solid explanation about what candidiasis is. He also emphasizes the MEVY diet for Candida (Meat, Eggs, Veggies (select ones), and Yogurt)...there is also a table about what should be added back and when.

I was really disappointed with Dr. Crook's book (1984). It seemed rather juvenile with it's illustrations (think Dick and Jane ). But also the low carb diet he recomends is full of corn, whole wheat, rice and potatoes...from the start. And most sources I've found recommend avoiding grains and starchy vegetables for the first part of the diet???
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:

Lillibet - How much capricin were you taking? I bought some but want to make sure I'm taking enough to help.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 08:30

KelsterM, good morning!

I still take 2160 mg. a day of caprylic acid, which is incorporated into a product by Solaray called Yeast-Cleanse. There are many other ingredients in Yeast-Cleanse that are very beneficial to the killing off candida albicans (yeast): Pau D'arco, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Tea Tree Oil and many others.
Capricin is another good product. Forget who makes it, but anyone who runs a health food store would likely be able to tell you.

I also take 1200 mg. of garlic in an odor-free capsule form. (Garlic is a powerful antidote for candida albicans.)

If you're looking for probiotics, Dr. Rubin Jordan's company, Garden of Life, has wonderful products IMHO. I use his Super Green Formula among other of his products. He's a little pricey, but if you've ever read his book, "The Maker's Diet," you'll doubtless appreciate where he's coming from.

Though you'll likely run into resistence from well meaning people in mainstream medicine, or just those who may not be well informed, I strongly recommend that you look into DrNatura's Colonix Internal Cleansing Program, which you can find online. It's a wonderful way to help flush out some candida, plus there are multiple other benefits. It's inexpensive, easy and effective.

I don't know much of anything about gluten intolerance, and I should. So many problems exhibit similar symptoms that it's often hard to know what you're dealing with.

I hope my experiences will be of some benefit to you.

Best,
Lillibet
Die-off generally makes one uncomfortable for a few days, but after that one usually feels remarkably better.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 19:55
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I don't know if the OP has been back, but I'll take the chance -
how were you diagnosed?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 12:43

Plan: MEVY diet
Stats: 123/118/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Wink Candida

Hello,

Here is my story about Candida, I am posting it to share my part so far, and also if ANYONE would like to comment or give advice I'd appreciate it ^-^

I moved into an apartment with a damp basement and carpets that weren't quite dry after the carpet cleaning. Smelly and not as clean as I prefer but I had no where else to go. A little over 2 months later I began to notice red spots on my skin and a friend who has battled Candida said that is what it was. I assume the new apartment's mold-ish state was aggravating the condition. Needless to say I've put in a 60 day notice to move out!

I have many symptoms related to Candida and I've been reading The Yeast Syndrome and began the MEVY diet. I am 26 and a Vegetarian as of May '08, I believe my un-smart choices and HIgh carb diet let to this problem. On the MEVY diet one can see this is a challenge for Vegetarians. I am eating FIsh & eggs, much more fish than before. The only supplements I take are a multi-vitamin (Womens rainbow light) with food, and a combination Lactobacillus/ acidophilus first thing each morning on an empty stomach with water.

I have already started feeling better and less lethargic. I stopped eating big noodles, rice or heavy breads a while ago because they made me feel terrible soon after I ate them. My attitude was also affected (eek). One of my concerns is on this particular diet it is suggested to eat 3 cups of yogurt a day; i digest this just fine but can that much really be good for you? I choose plain greek yogurt with a teaspoon of honey to curb the sharp taste. I used to eat lots of Stoneyfield farms French Vanilla, low fat or whole milk yogurt but swithed because I heard Greek yogurt has more Lactobacillus and acidophilus in it.

Thank you for reading this, I look forward to any comments
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 18:13

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Jesca, many candida experts believe you should not be eating honey. They believe that like any other sugar, it feeds the yeast.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 08:19

Plan: MEVY diet
Stats: 123/118/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Sugar content

Yes, I agree the Honey isn't the best thing to add to yogurt in this case. What could I add to the yogurt since the usual additives are out of the question too, for example: strawberries, cereal etc.

I suppose carrot? Isn't there too much sugar in carrots as well? I am eating a good amout of those, raw and cooked. Another question, I noticed on the side of my Greek yogurt container that the cultures are L. Bulgaricus & S.Thermophilius not the other bacteria mentioned in the benefits of yogurt ( acidophilus & bifidus ). Does this mean Greek is not the one I should be eating?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 22:28

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Most experts on the candida diet say that berries are okay, so I put berries in my yogurt. I buy frozen organic ones, and I let them thaw for a few minutes before I mix them in.

Does Greek yogurt not have acidophilus?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 23:22

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Most experts (and I use the term loosely!) on candida recommend the natural sweetener, stevia, as a sub for honey or artificial sweeteners.