Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Anyone make smoothies?

I know that TSP says not to use smoothies for a meal replacement, but sometimes I just can't do eggs and need a really quick breakfast. The nutrionalist I used to go to said that the Jay Robb whey protein drinks are what he recommends so sometimes I do 2 scoops of the chocolate with about 4 oz cream, 4 oz water and a Tablespoon of some type of nut butter (I have also been known to throw in a 1/2 banana but I try not to do this too often).

Does anyone else have a drink that they sometimes use for a meal replacement? I was thinking of giving up cream for awhile and really limiting my dairy but I don't think it would taste as good or be as filling without it. What would you use as the liquid?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 16:02

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 245/180/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I would love to see this forum get more active. Seems like there's not too many folks following Schwarbein anymore.

About smoothies. Honestly sometimes its hard to make a whole breakfast. I think once in a while a smoothie is acceptable. The hard part I'm having is that I've pretty much eliminated artificial sweeteners and a non-sweet smoothie just sound yuck.

That being said, I used to make a good one using Designer Whey and Carb Countdown chocoate milk. If you wanted to use less processed foods, you could make one using raw egg as the protein (salmonella risk really is quite low - honest! Like 1 in a million). Or use raw Eggbeaters which are pastuerized and safe to eat raw (if you're squeamish about real eggs). Eggbeaters won't have all the nice fat and nutrients of a real egg, but heck, its just one meal, right?

Another suggestion: Kathleen Desmaisons (Potatoes Not Prozac, Your Last Diet) sells a very good shake mix. I don't know if I can post the link here..... I just joined this site and am still figuring stuff out.

I hope some of this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 15:19
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

What about some plain low-fat yogurt (if you read the labels you can find it with 14g of protein), some fruit, and maybe honey or stevia it sweeten it up a bit? Could throw in a little crushed ice to froth it up some too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 01:43

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%

I've tried out a couple of different kind of smoothies:

I did one with 100 grams of plain yogurt (as full fat as I could find) (12 grams of carbs) Some raspberries, and a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder--it tasted OK. Not very sweet...maybe next time I will add some stevia. It was around 20 carbs for it though, which for SP would be about right, for PP, it is a little high at my level.

I did one from the Protein power book a while ago, which was vanilla whey protein powder, 1 ounce heavy cream, 1 packet Splenda (I used Stevia) and 1 cup ice. (I added about 1/2 cup frozen peaches to it). Wasn't too bad--it was around 8 grams of carbs.

I would highly recommend Linda's Low Carb site for ideas:
[URL=http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/]
Under her "Snacks" section she has several different smoothie-type recipes.
Most of them use Splenda or Stevia or something to sweeten them, but that would be at your discretion of course...