Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Laser treatment to quit smoking?

I quit smoking almost a year ago and My DH Actually said he wants to quit. I am so happy to hear those words come out of his mouth. He wants to get Laser treatment to stop. Has anyone done that and has it worked. All I know is that it cost 300.00 dollars. DH say he knows someone who it worked for. So if you know anything about it I am interested in knowing more. Thanks!

I have quit for 11 Months, 1 Week, 6 Days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 42 seconds (347 days). I have saved $1,456.65 by not smoking 8,696 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 4 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/11/2005 11:55 PM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 21:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I haven't had the procedure myself, but out of the 6 people I know of at work who have had the procedure to quit, 5 of them are still not smoking and 2 are almost at the 1 year mark. Seems like a pretty good success rate to me (for an experimental procedure, that is).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 22:10

BF:

Thank you for your reply I hope I get more like it. The precedure is a little pricey for us right now but so are the cigs.
If it works it will worth it for all kinds of reasons.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 22:54

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I can't quote stats or anything, but my MIL and FIL had it done. It worked for a while and they even went back for repeat treatments. I'd say it lasted a few months for them, but they're back to smoking now.

I think it's like any treatment, you need to find the one that works for you. This was probably just not the right one for them.

Sorry to be such a downer , but that's my experience with it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 23:25

BF:

LadyArya,
Thank you! you are not a downer I know that you really have to want to quit and as of yet they havent come up with any miracle cures. There are so many things Where YMMV. I will have to see how the success/failure rates vary. I just want DH to quit so bad. I do not hardly ever say a word because I know He has to want it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 23:40

Plan: Considering kimkins
Stats: 250/247.5/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 3%

I did it and it worked. It was the easiest painfree way to quit.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 16:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I haven't had the procedure myself, but out of the 6 people I know of at work who have had the procedure to quit, 5 of them are still not smoking and 2 are almost at the 1 year mark. Seems like a pretty good success rate to me (for an experimental procedure, that is).

Since it's been a while, I thought I'd give an update on the long term success of those I know who have had the procedure. Of the 6 that I know, all but one have returned to smoking.
Short-term, it seems to work. Long-term, not much better success rates than other methods.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 14:52

Plan: Atkins before he died
Stats: 140/140/150 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default laser and motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Since it's been a while, I thought I'd give an update on the long term success of those I know who have had the procedure. Of the 6 that I know, all but one have returned to smoking.
Short-term, it seems to work. Long-term, not much better success rates than other methods.

Wow, now THAT is interesting stuff!! It appears that there is something about the motivation required to quit and add to that the 'inner strength' required to stop in the first place in order to "stay quit".

I do believe in acupunture, and laser is basically acupuncture [right?] , and so it makes it easier to quit but it is kind of tricking the brain. It works, but only to help us make that initial leap.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:02

Stats: 209/180/110 Female 156 cm
BF:
Progress:

I've read a discussion about the Laser treatment once so I found the link
http://www.thestopsmokingclub.com/w...ssation-20.html
they actually say that this is expensive form of acupunture
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 15:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoP
I quit smoking almost a year ago and My DH Actually said he wants to quit. I am so happy to hear those words come out of his mouth. He wants to get Laser treatment to stop. Has anyone done that and has it worked. All I know is that it cost 300.00 dollars. DH say he knows someone who it worked for. So if you know anything about it I am interested in knowing more. Thanks!

I have quit for 11 Months, 1 Week, 6 Days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 42 seconds (347 days). I have saved $1,456.65 by not smoking 8,696 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 4 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/11/2005 11:55 PM

I have a cheaper idea!

I read the book called "The only way to stop smoking permanently" by Allen Carr. It cured me. I really wanted to stop and had tried like a zillion times but it wasn't until I read that book, that I stopped for good.

I stopped from one day to the next with no withdrawal symptoms, no cravings, just REJOICED TO BE FREE OF THIS NASTY DRUG!!!

I had smoked for 22 years (apart from during 2 pregnancies and breast feeding and a while after that) from the age of 16 to 38. I'm now 44 and
have never looked back for a minute. It has given me so much strength to know that I could do this!

Check on Amazon if this book is still around. It may not be the best-written book in the world, but if it gets rid of your nicotine addiction, then nobody is going to worry about a few misplaced commas or untidy sentences!!!

I really can recommend this book. I'm sure it costs a lot less than $300,000.

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 19:49
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default Allen Carr

I read Allen Carr's book "The Easyway to quit drinking" last year. It uses the same exact methods as the Easyway to quit smoking book. I bought the smoking one and never even had to read it after reading the drinking one. I thought I drank too much so I decided to quit and I quit smoking after 22 years (ages 16-38) Aug 29 will be one year for both. It is the only thing in the world that worked for me. If Mr. Carr were still alive I would kiss him. You need absolutely no willpower at all. I mean it, NONE. I only wished I would have read it earlier.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 21:34
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

god thats like $3.35 a packet of 20 thats like £1.60 compared to our £5 packet. jesus. imagine if in america they suddenly started charging $10 a pack!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 06:23
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default Cig prices

they are 10 bucks in downtown Chicago.