Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 16:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Confession of A Smoke-a-holic!

So I am the WORST kind smoker. I hate myself for ever picking it back up again. 14 months ago I gave birth the the most beautiful baby boy. I had quit prior to getting pregnate. Then, about 4 months ago I was at my BF house. She kept offering me a ciggy so I finally took one. One turned into two which turned into half a pack a day. I never smoke around my DS but the feeling of guilt is overwhelming. I feel that he must have this cough b/c the remanents (sp) of smoke on my clothes, or he must have an ear infetion b/c of the smoke. I just hate that I do this but at the same time I am having a HARD time quiting. I just die for one after work. I go 7 hours without, I should be able to go the whole day. HELP

J
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

I'd be the last to tell you that you shouldn't keep on trying to quit - but I'm pretty skeptical that the smell of smoke in your clothing could be doing anything to harm your baby.

And I have to wonder about a BF who urges you to start smoking again after you'd quit...what's that about? A BF should be cheering you on. IMO.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:

No I agree. My DH was so pissed that I even took a drag that first time again. But he can't really talk b/c he has his vices. My friend wrote me a long letter apologizing. She said she didn't think, which was true, and that she hopes she can help me quit. HAHAHAHA!! Anyway, I have only 2 smokes with me and I am going to try to resist going to buy more today. We will see.

J
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 23:07

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Hi Surfrider,
I've tried to quit in numerous ways many times over the last few decades. In spite of my lack of success, one of the more useful things I've read about quitting is from the American Pyschiatric Association: practice guidelines. It talks about how many doctors over-trivialize the problem of quitting smoking and how important it is to realize that overcoming the addiction is a very individual thing. So - maybe this will help you on this difficult journey -
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 23:25

Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:

Hi surfrider, I can sympathize with you.I remember feeling bad about being a smoker because of my children. My husband and I use to smoke in the house years ago. Crazy!! It will be a year next month since I quit. I had tried to quit so many times, I can not say for sure why I was able to do it this time. I quit for all of my three pregnancies and went right back to it. I guess I loved my babies more than I loved myself. Which was good for them bad for me. My children have always ask me to quit so I know that had some part in my success.They are very happy for me. I really hope that I never again pick up a cigarette.They say keep quitting until you quit. I wish you the very best and I hope all your dreams come true.