Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 01:53

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%
Smile SP Newbie--please help!!

Hello All--

I started the Schwarzbein principle a couple of weeks ago, and am not sure that I am doing it right. I have read the books, but I am just not sure if I should be eating 15 g. of carbs per meal/snack, or 20, 25 per meal/snack. For the healing phase she has all three listed--maybe I missed something when reading the books? I know that she recommends eating a few more carbs if you excercise regularly which I do, but I'm still a little confused... Any advice would be very welcome. Also if anyone has strictly Schwarzbein menus that they enjoy and have followed I would love to hear from you. The menus in the newest book are not particularly enticing to me--although I did buy her cook book, and I have the first book with (I think) better meal ideas. I'm sort of making my own up as I go along, but could use some guidance. I started a journal yesterday in the hope that it will help me to write things down regularly. Well, sorry to ramble on for so long. Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: 6-12-12
Stats: 184.5/175/120 Female 5 feet
BF:way too much!
Progress: 15%

I'd go with the lower carb if you need to lose weight. I started following Schwartzbein and I know she says you won't lose weight until you are healthy, but I can't wait that long. I mean, how do you know when you are there?

I chose the lowest carb option she describes and am doing ok with that. Feeling better, lost a couple of pounds. But if the weight doesn't start coming off quicker, I'm going Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 15:49

Plan: SP
Stats: 168/159/150 Female 69 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default A matter of preference

Hello!

I started Schwarzbein around 8/1, and I am doing the higher carb limits and have lost about 9 lbs. Not to mention, my skin looks great! I have been off -track for about 7 days now due to strep throat but I will soon be starting back up. Maybe try the higher and see how it satisfies you, and if you lose. If you're not, cut back some. If you find you are getting really hungry and can't hack the lower levels, increase a bit? Just a thought. There are no hard and fast rules, so do what works for you within the general guidelines of the program. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 11:24

Default Thanks for the replies

I think weight loss would be great, but I am truly more focused right now on "balancing" my hormones, in the hopes that the weight will come off when it is ready

astint2002--That's amazing 9 pounds since August!--may I ask what you typically eat, and how often you excercise? I started a journal last week, and to look at it you would assume I am not very good at following the plan--mostly in fact though I have done pretty well--I have gained about two pounds overall--it fluctuates from week to week. I tend to excercise about an hour per day--that is some days longer, some days not at all. I walk and also lift weights two to three times per week. I also have an excercise bike that I ride whenever possible. You sound like you are doing very well on the plan--I would love to know a typical day's menu if you have a moment. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 17:55

Plan: SP
Stats: 168/159/150 Female 69 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Happy to help

Yes, no one was more surprised than me at the loss.

It is not uncommon to gain at first. A typical amount of a day's food: 2-4 hard boiled eggs; tons of assorted veggies like green pepper, mushroom, greens, hot peppers, cukes, tomatoes, onions, in a salad or omelet; a small amount (3-4 oz) lean protein like chicken-- I am not a big meat fan; perhaps a yogurt or some cottage cheese, more veggies, a couple oz hard cheese, a small piece of fruit (maybe). I eat and cook with full fat dairy and real butter. I try to steer clear of refined foods all together. I limit sweets. I only drink water with the exception of a large half decaf/half regular coffee with half and half and one Splenda per day.

I wouldn't neccessarily eat all these foods in one day, but those are good examples of what I eat. I also eat almonds and peanuts but not as much since they are very calorie-dense. Oh, and if I eat bread it is the 100% whole wheat low-carb bread-- one slice, perhaps every 2-3 days.

I try to keep calories around 1600 day and a high percentage of those are from fat.

On the exercise front-- I usually walk 2-3 times a week. I also have been doing strenuous housework lately (lifting boxes, cleaning sheds, power washing the house and cars, etc.)

Hope this helps you! Keep up the good work, as you said health comes first.
Angela
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 16:40

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 219/219/160 Female 70"
BF:32%/30%/22%
Progress: 0%

Hi Cavendish,

I'm new to SP, too, but as someone who lost 50lbs on Atkins and then had a bout of clinical depression and, over the course of 5 years gained it all back, I'm committing to SP as something that is sustainable and flexible. Personally, I'm trying to go with the 15 grams of carbs per meal plan because I was so successful on Atkins, and because I do want more rapid weight loss.

In terms of meals, what I like about SP is that I can basically eat what I like as long as I use a tool like fitday.com or get a book with nutrition facts so that I can count protein and carb grams. I haven't done this yet, but plan on it! I'd be glad to have a SP buddy to support along the way.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 23:29

Thanks for your note Aurora. I would love to have an SP buddy! I am behind in posting in my journal, but I have been following the 15 g. per meal 7.5 per snack. I suppose I should catch up there, I do find it helpful. Are you going to start a journal as well? We could drop each other notes in our journals which seems like it might be the best way of communicating in this format.
Let me know how you are doing. I notice you are from San Francisco, that's where I was born--I have a lot of family there still. Beautiful city! --Sara
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:55

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 219/219/160 Female 70"
BF:32%/30%/22%
Progress: 0%
Default Journal...

Dur! I just realized I could have a journal. Great! I'll start one, and I love your suggestion!

I've decided I need a full team to help me lose weight. I'm seeing a nutritionist tomorrow who will hopefully support this WOE... I'll keep you posted!