Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 20:40

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Small Blender

I am coming back again! HFLCMP. One of the things that helps me is bullet proof coffee. The problem is that is is messy, I hate getting a full size blender dirty every day.

Does anyone know of a small blender with the capacity to hold about 20-24 oz of liquid, and the container is portable? I would love to be able to blend my coffee in the cup and go.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bought my daughter a Bullet, but that still has bits to clean. I put BPC ingredients in a travel mug, Whiz it with stick immersion blender, then rinse off the stick. Done.

Good link to the blender and mayo recipe here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461954
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 12:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

If your full size blender is an Oster you can substitute a regular mouth canning jar of the appropriate size. Oster also has (or used to have, anyway) small jars of their own for the same purpose. I don't know if this works with other blenders. Lacking that, I would suggest a stick blender.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 12:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Seems like an immersion blender might be the best choice.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 13:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My daughter bought this one for her college dorm.

HB Mini Blender on Amazon

She used it for protein shakes and smoothies. It is cheap and cheaply made, but at that price what would you expect? It lasted the year and is still working.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 18:58

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The blender that khrussva linked to is the same one that I have (except mine is black). I love it! I use it almost every day to make a smoothie, and drink it right out of the blender top. Didn't realize it was so inexpensive--I should get a back up!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 06:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was really interested in this until I saw that it's not recommended for hot drinks. I gave BPC a whirl (pun intended) in my Magic Bullet, and I didn't mind washing it, but I got tired of mopping up my entire kitchen because of the explosions if I didn't get it done fast enough. Not what I need when I have 5 minutes to catch my bus to work in the morning.

Entrepreneur opportunity! Someone come up with a small blender designed to handle hot drinks with a portable travel cup. I'll Kickstarter you.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 08:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm another who's experienced the explosion-factor from trying to blenderize hot liquids in a closed container. Even if the container itself doesn't explode, the scalding liquid will spew out of it like a volcano of hot lava when you remove the lid ... IF you can manage to twist the lid off the now-expanded container.

I've discovered a totally unplugged low-tech method to make rich, frothy "bp" style coffee .... with a wire whisk. Add your knob of unsalted butter and coconut oil into the hot coffee (and sweetener, if you use that) .. then put the whisk in all the way to the bottom of the cup. Spin the whisk back and forth between your palms and watch your coffee be quickly transformed into a creamy emulsion with a perfect head of frothy foam. Swish the whisk in hot soapy water then rinse. There. Done. Nice and quiet .. no roaring machinery to wake the dead or anyone else who's still trying to sleep in your vicinity.

Just make sure your whisk is long and narrow enough to fit all the way to the bottom of your cup ... or travel mug . This will ensure a "splash-free" experience.

This is very similar to the inexpensive 8" whisk I use

You're welcome

#9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 08:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

By the way ....

The above technique also work well with chai tea . Put your hot spiced tea into the cup or mug/travel mug. Add unsalted butter, coconut oil and sweetener if desired. Add whisk, blend it up and enjoy a creamy lowcarb "chai latté"

#10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 08:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Not really small, but super easy and quick to clean and you can take the mug with you to drink.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-SB055...+smoothie+to+go
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 09:51
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I bought a Magic Bullet Deluxe that comes with a small 24oz pitcher. It was kind of a waste - as I rarely use any of the cups/mugs and other attachments. I use the pitcher all the time. I don't think they recommended hot liquids either - but it seems to work fine with the pitcher. I've done BP coffee in it a number of times. I think it helps that 1 cup of BP coffee only fills the pitcher half way. I get a nice frothy brew in just a few seconds that then pour it into my coffee mug. Cleanup is easy. I put some hot soapy water in it, blend for a few seconds, shake it over the sink and then rinse it out with hot water. I occasionally throw it in the dishwasher as well. In spite of not following the directions to avoid hot liquids - it seems to be holding up fine.

Magic Bullet with Pitcher
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 20:45

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thanks all, I got a Cusinart stick blender, big bulky, but it works!

I really want to thank all of you for your support over the years.