Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida Recipes for New Candida Dieters

Hi everyone

I'm starting this thread for a few reasons. First, I think it would be great to see what other people on Candida diets are eating and which recipes they might especially recommend to others. It's always nice to try new recipes, especially on a diet which is fairly restrictive.

Second, it occurred to me that a lot of new people (like me a few months ago) who are just starting the diet and may be a little confused about what is ok to eat or not might benefit from having a few quick recipes they can print off straight away to try.

Anyway, I hope a lot of people will contribute and that the thread will grow.

Some of these are quick and easy and some are more complex, so I'll try to indicate roughly which recipes are which.

Some may not be suitable for everyone, so check with your doctor whether you're allowed ANY dairy or soy, gluten etc, since in later stages of treatment, some may be allowed once a week etc, whereas those in the early treatment stages may not be allowed ANY gluten, dairy, soy etc depending on your personal condition and doctor's preferences.

Recipe 1: Baked Eggplant (UK = Aubergine)
Ingredients: 1 Eggplant/Aubergine, Cold-pressed Virgin Olive Oil,
Beefsteak or other tomatoes for slicing,

optional: thin slices goat's cheese, thin slices black olives

Method: Cut eggplant lengthwise and place on baking tray. Coat with olive oil. Slice tomatoes and lay slices on eggplant. Add a few thin slices of goat's cheese or slice up a few canned black olives, rinsed, and lay on top of tomatoes. Brush goat's cheese and/or olives with more olive oil.

Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for about 30 - 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender and brown, and goat's cheese is nicely brown.

Serves: 2 as appetizers, 1 for lunch.

Recipe 2: Beetroot Soup with apple cyder vinegar and natural yogurt

Ingredients:

5 organic pre-cooked beetroot (vacuum packed usually in their juices) or else 4 good sized fresh beetroots
2 carrots
2 onions
1 stick celery

optional: 1 sweet potato (the usual recipe sometimes uses white potatoes but avoid those)

Stock (if you use Knorr's "Simply stock" range, avoid the vegetable type because it has added mushrooms to the stock. Use the chicken stock instead for this, as you won't notice the chicken in it much. Alternatively make your own veg stock.

Use about 2 packets of Knorr's Simply Stock, or else your own, to taste.

Natural sea salt to taste, if allowed.

AVOID: any stock cube or powder stocks due to added yeast, hydrolized proteins, starches, wheat starches etc.

Scrub, peel and chop all raw vegetables and put in large pan. Add stock, some water and beetroot (if pre-cooked, add it directly, otherwise, scrub and peel beetroot and add it to pan) to pan. Make sure vegetables are covered with the liquid.

Add a few herbs of your choice. . . parsley, thyme, etc, to taste. Fresh is best if you have them.

Boil until all vegetables are tender. Then blend in a blender until smooth.

To serve, stir in a few teaspoons of apple cyder vinegar (organic if possible) and swirl in some natural probiotic yogurt. To help with candida, first add a dash of probiotic powder to the yogurt before swirling it into the soup.

If allowed in your case, you can toast some sourdough-based Biona amaranth bread (they do some that don't seem to bother my candida and which have no added yeast, although they do contain some gluten---some sourdoughs can actually help fight candida) and have it toasted and spread with butter by the side.

It depends on whether your doctor allows it in your case though.

--------------------------------------------------------------

There . . . those are just starter recipes. I'm not a doctor, though, so check with your doctor if you are not sure about whether they are suitable for you, and of course "tweak" them to taste as you wish.

All the best,

Annajen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 08:29

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the recipe. I wish I could contribute but I don't really know my way around the kitchen.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Don't worry. It would be a good idea to learn your way around the kitchen on this diet though. I mean, a few things which are helpful are a blender and possibly a juicer, if you feel like spending a bit more.

Another thing that helps is a mini food processor. This is good for quickly turning nuts into ground nuts for nut butters or flours.

Anyway, here is another recipe which is GREAT for keeping your blood sugar constant during the day. This helps because it stops the yeast feeding off your blood sugar highs when your blood sugar gets too low forcing your liver to release sugars. It kills a lot of cravings too, and can be served topped with grilled white fish (cod is nice) if you don't need to follow "Food Combining" rules in your own case too closely. Otherwise, it makes a nice meal on its own.

Green Lentils with Bacon

1 pack Candian back bacon, or else streaky rashers, unsmoked
Green lentils (1.5 cups lentils approximately)
2 cans Chopped tomatoes
2 onions
5 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil
dash of cayenne pepper

Method: Cover lentils in water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, grill bacon rashers thoroughly and set aside.

Dice onion and fry gently in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and a dash of cayenne, or to taste. Stir and set aside.

When lentils are fully cooked, strain and add to pan. Heat back up to a gentle simmer. Cut bacon into small pieces and stir in with lentils etc. Simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with side salad and, if allowed, top with grilled cod with lemon on top. You can add herbs to cod if preferred while cooking too.

This has a few benefits from the lemon juice and cayenne pepper, both of which help fight candida.