Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 13:17

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Supplements

I’ve been doing weight training for the past 8 weeks. Have any of you added supplements to your diet while doing intense workouts? If so, What have you added. I’m thinking of adding some more vitamins either mega man’s one a day or the animal pak.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 15:47

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

A good multi, magnesium and maybe an Omega 3'll do ya. Animal Pak is highly regarded if you've got gobs of cash.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 18:58

BF:

Thanks. I found the Anamil Pak on Amazon for $22 for 44 days. I think I'm going to give it a try. I've been doing the Mens one a day and omega 3.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 08:39

Plan: VLC
Stats: 215/171.6/130 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/35%/20%

My husband uses the mega men and loves them. He also does creatine only the plain powder you can mix in your whey protein about a teaspoon I think, it tells you on the jug. You don't have to concern yourself with the loading phase it has been shown not to increase creatine levels, it just increases the amount the manufacturer can sell you. Remember creatine is found naturally in all red meats but you still need to supplement with it to increase mass and strength. You also can't go wrong with BCAA (Branch Chain amino acid) These come in pill form, and be sure to buy a brand that does not contain artificial coloring! I saw a brand of BCAA's that were blue for Pete's sake!! I looked at the ingredients and sure enough they had the blue lake dye in it! Makes me so mad when manufactures ruin a perfectly good supplement by filling it with garbage! Hubby does a protein shake with 1/2 serving of creatine blended in mixed with magic bullet, and takes 2 BCAA's before his workout, and with in one hour of working out he does another protein shake with 1/2 serving of creatine and 2 more BCAA's. He is buff and sexy! Aren't I lucky? he also only workouts out 4x a week for 45 minutes sessions which really is not a lot of time for the results he has obtained. I think it's also important to note that he is 47 years old and still has excellent muscle mass and definition, no roid use at all either and never has for that matter. just natural supps, good nutrition, and hard work at the gym. He started off really scrawny looking too, but has beefed up nicely...pardon the pun!

Whey is another supplement the manufactures seem to muck up with chemical, fillers and garbage, so you need to be sure you are using a good quality whey that does not have crap chemicals and hidden MSG in it (hint...anytime you see natural and/or artificial flavors). Good for you whey's only have three to four ingredients and should not be sweetened with nutra sweet or aspartame. I found two or three decent ones if you'd like to know the brands you can pm me. Is that allowed here? Suggesting a product brand? This is my motto "Garbage in Garbage out" "Quality in Quality out"
I guess one could take that two ways LOL!

Last edited by bkalm : Tue, May-12-09 at 08:51.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 08:10

BF:

Sure, I'd like know the brand names of some good whey powder that doesn't have all the crap in it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave28
Sure, I'd like know the brand names of some good whey powder that doesn't have all the crap in it.

Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey Gold Standard

Quote:
100% Natural Whey Gold Standard contains no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. There’s no question this is the standard by which other whey proteins are measured.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/pro...dard-p-202.html
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-15-09, 04:14

BF:

Thanks for the info.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-15-09, 12:09

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 385/285/235 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Wow thats crazy expensive

I'll stick to my regular whey
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 17:09

Plan: um... a basic one?
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 5'10'
BF:
Progress:

does anyone here take co enzyme q 10? I've been told its good but don't really know.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 18:26

I take it. Not sure how to tell if it's good, but it is an effective anti-oxidant from what I've read. I haven't been sick in a couple years FWIW.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 12:07

Plan: um... a basic one?
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 5'10'
BF:
Progress:

Great thanks. There's no much available on the shelves...