Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 14:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%
Default Stubborn Arm Fat

I'm looking for advice from other athletes and bodybuilders about any successes they've had in blasting fat from a specific body part: upper arms. Unlike most women, I carry less fat on my thighs and abs than behind my triceps. Currently have 16.0 mm on triceps and only 10 mm on thighs, and hovering in the 16-18% fat range.

As I'm cutting down, I am stalled on the arm fat. This has happened every time that I do a cut cycle, and I've not found a solution for getting this body part caught up to the rest. Anyone have a similar problem, male or female? Anyone had success with a nagging situation similar to this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 16:29

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

You cannot spot reduce bodyfat. Your only options are to build muscle, or lose more fat in general. Where your store fat most is genetic, so you will have to reduce your overall bodyfat level real low to cover all body parts. Its your choice whether you up your calories and weights to build some muscle tone, or to continue dieting to drop your bodyfat levels further. Either way i would recommend lifting weights.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 02:05

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

The closer you are to your ideal body weight, the more you shift to losing muscle mass compared to fat. You really need to be consuming plenty of protein and working muscles to keep/add quality muscle tone/hardness. The worst you can do at this point is cut the calories to low.

For a women, you're at a good bodyfat %. Add some protein calories and some sort of muscle stimulus and see what happens.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 02:33

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair915
I'm looking for advice from other athletes and bodybuilders about any successes they've had in blasting fat from a specific body part: upper arms. Unlike most women, I carry less fat on my thighs and abs than behind my triceps. Currently have 16.0 mm on triceps and only 10 mm on thighs, and hovering in the 16-18% fat range.

As I'm cutting down, I am stalled on the arm fat. This has happened every time that I do a cut cycle, and I've not found a solution for getting this body part caught up to the rest. Anyone have a similar problem, male or female? Anyone had success with a nagging situation similar to this?

As others have said you can't spot reduce fat, but you can tone up.

Also your body fat is very low for a female and may cause you problems. You should actually up your fat to around 20%
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 20:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%

Thanks everyone!
Before I say more, I have to comment: wow-another PPLP gal from Seattle!
I know I can't spot reduce; it's my fault that I didn't ask my question quite as well as I should have. Nonetheless, you all gave me some great info and suggestions and figured out what I was trying to ask.
Thanks to your suggestions, I dragged out the food scale and went back to the protein tables in PPLP to double-check, and wound up needing to add a minimum of another 20-30 grams of lean protein per day, which also meant more calories. I'm hoping that this is why I didn't respond to muscle stimulus the way I expected.
I also really appreciate the help from both men and women because, after having a hysterectomy with ovaries removed, I am comfortably carrying a lot less bodyfat than ever before in my life. It's completely new territory from a hormonal standpoint, and so I really don't know where I should be in terms of body composition or response to muscle-building stimulus.
I'll let you know how it goes. Encouragement/advice is very welcome. Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 22:15

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Good to see you to my fellow PPLP Seattle Gal.