Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 15:58

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Training When You're Sore

14 years ago, when I was 1st learning to be a fitness trainer, one facilitator told our group that it was a "silly waste of time" to train a body part that is still sore from the last workout. He said that all you are doing is re-breaking what is trying to rebuild itself. I was only 18 and his cock-sure manner made me more-or-less take his word as gospel.
How do you all feel about this? Many bodybuilding programs I have seen call for training every other day or more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

A lot of the soreness is lactic acid buildup in the muscles. Lactic acid is an energy source so it can be used by the muscles. Also muscles will swell with fluid, stretching nerve fibers in the muscle sheaths. So Exercising while sore is not a bad thing. It mobilizes the fluid and uses up the lactate. Many
people in their 50's or 60's seem to do better with every-other-day workouts. Anyone younger can handle daily workouts. In high school we did bone-crushing workouts m-f and double workouts on Saturday.

If you're too sore to tolerate a workout, you might need a massage to work the lactate out.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 04:58
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
one facilitator told our group that it was a "silly waste of time" to train a body part that is still sore from the last workout. He said that all you are doing is re-breaking what is trying to rebuild itself.
Yeah, that's old information, bordering on myth. Recent studies show that the protein synthesis (growth stimulus) peaks at 24-36 hours (I forget exactly which), so waiting 48 hours between working the same muscles is probably the wisest route (so train same muscle group 2-3 times a week).

Waiting longer than that (in other words, the traditional one body part a day split) isn't optimal for growth, unless you're either genetically gifted or using assistance drugs.

Also, soreness isn't indicative of growth, just that your muscle/tendons/connective tissue were placed under unusual stress. They will adapt, and you may not get sore after awhile. So, it's ok to train when still sore.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 15:40

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I seperate muscle groups onto different days and hit each muscle group hard once a week, giving it plenty of time to recover.