Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 04:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Worried about cholestrol or statins?

Zoe Harcombe has summarized many of her posts on this topic into one with links to other articles and important studies. Now in this one article you can find the studies that showed a HIGHER death rate from LOWER cholesterol, etc.

The first link is to her article on the "New Normals" ..the numbers no longer set on the actual distribution of population results, not only for cholestrol but also glucose and Blood pressure.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/03/...l-andor-statins

Entire article and the links is very helpful. This is one section of it on cholesterol.

Quote:
Worried about high cholesterol Many of the comments start with people saying that they have high cholesterol. First of all – do you? Or are you part of the scam to make you think that your cholesterol is high because normal has been re-defined? This post may help.

If your cholesterol is anywhere on those normal charts (2-10 mmol/l = 77-387 mg/dl) – you may like to stop worrying.

You should also be aware that the blood cholesterol test doesn’t actually measure LDL (the thing they call ‘bad cholesterol’ – which is not even cholesterol – it’s a Low Density Lipoprotein) – they guess it. See point iv here. You should also be aware that even the total cholesterol, which they do try to measure, is known to be out by as much as 19%.

If you actually have high cholesterol (e.g. 10 mmol/l = 387 mg/dl or above) OR your cholesterol is high for you (i.e. relative to what you know yours normally is – your normal – not the made up normal), remember that your body makes cholesterol for good reason and consider the following:

are you injured? stressed? pregnant? recovering from an operation? illness? Any of these will encourage your body to make more cholesterol. Have you had a cholesterol test taken at the end of winter? in the heart of winter? Vitamin D is made by sunlight synthesizing cholesterol on the skin when you expose your skin to sunlight. Your cholesterol may simply be ‘high’ right now because you haven’t turned it into vitamin D (it’s the low vitamin D that will harm you – not the ‘high’ cholesterol – the high cholesterol can be a sign that you’re lacking vitamin D). Have another test at the end of the summer and make sure you give your body the chance to make some vitamin D with healthy sun exposure (not too much, not burning). [interesting!, I didn't know this]

If you know that you have Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) – check out the section on FH on this blog post. It may give you a different perspective on FH. High LDL can be the symptom – not the problem – the problem can be the exact opposite of what is assumed – that LDL is not getting to the cells (including heart cells) where it is vitally needed.

Check out these charts too – read them carefully - yes HIGH cholesterol is associated with LOW deaths and LOW cholesterol is associated with HIGH deaths for men and women, CVD deaths and all-cause mortality. (It’s the same for saturated fat, by the way).

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-25-15 at 05:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 06:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Good article, Janet. Thanks for posting. Malcolm Kendricks say to never just treat a number.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 05:43

Now you can REALLY worry! New study that Statins users have a 340% increase in risk of acute memory loss....in 30 days!!

This study was published in JAMA Internal Medicine 2015 Jun 8

Study title and authors:
Statin Therapy and Risk of Acute Memory Impairment.
Strom BL, Schinnar R, Karlawish J, Hennessy S, Teal V, Bilker WB.
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey

This study can b accessed at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26054031

The objective of the study was to assess whether statin users and users of other cholesterol lowering drugs show acute decline in memory compared with nonusers. The study lasted 26 years and included 482,543 statin users, 482,543 matched non users of any cholesterol lowering drugs and 26,484 users of non statin cholesterol lowering drugs.

The study found:
(a) Statin users had a 340% increased risk of acute memory loss within 30 days immediately following exposure compared to non users.
(b) Non statin cholesterol lowering drug users had a 260% increased risk of acute memory loss within 30 days immediately following exposure compared to non users.

Strom concluded: "Both statin and nonstatin lipid lowering drugs were strongly associated with acute memory loss in the first 30 days following exposure in users compared with nonusers".

http://healthydietsandscience.blogs...d-with-340.html
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 03:42

Bumping up this excellent Zoe Harcombe summary of her best cholesterol articles.

But....If you or your doctor are STILL worried about your cholesterol level, due to family history, or previous diet, or whatever, why not look directly at the arteries to see if there is plaque there? There is a test available, the Coronary Calcium score, that measures artery stiffness. Apparently the price has come way down and the amount of radiation reduced as more CTscan machines are available at just about every hospital.

Dr Jeffrey Gerber wrote a good article about it:
http://denversdietdoctor.com/lchf-1...ium-score-zero/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 05:12

Zoe Harcombe has written a new post in the same vein as the first one in this thread.

Read this National Cholesterol Month article to understand the vital role cholesterol plays in our health:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/10/...lesterol-month/ (good links and references)

*************quote...

I was at a dinner party recently when the subject of cholesterol came up. Every (lay) person around the table turned out to be an expert: “Cholesterol is bad”, said one. “Well actually there’s good and bad cholesterol”, clarified another. “Our cholesterol shouldn’t be higher than five”, volunteered one sage. Five what? They had no idea. Why is cholesterol bad? Not a clue. If ever there were a substance vilified with the utmost ignorance – cholesterol is it.

This month, October, is national cholesterol month in the UK. September was national cholesterol month in the US. Call me cynical, but staggering the months gives one sixth of the year when the increasingly global on-line world is being manipulated to have cholesterol front of mind. Leading the charge in the UK appears to be Heart UK – an organisation masquerading as a charity, which more accurately should be seen as a voice piece of the cholesterol lowering industry. Here are Heart UK’s backers.

This is what we should be told in national cholesterol month and these are the things that my fellow diners should have been saying about cholesterol:

1) Cholesterol is utterly life vital

Every human being would die instantly without cholesterol. Every single cell in the human body depends upon it. We would have no digestion or hormone function without cholesterol. Cholesterol is critical for brain and memory functions – even though the brain is only 2% of the body’s weight, it contains approximately 25% of the body’s cholesterol (Ref 1). Cholesterol is essential for bones and all the roles performed by vitamin D. We could not reproduce without this life vital substance. Hence, not only would humans die without cholesterol, the human race would die out.

2) Cholesterol is so vital that our body makes it

It cannot be left to chance that we would need to get cholesterol from an external source, such as food. One of the key reasons that we need to spend approximately one third of our lives sleeping is to give the body time to produce cholesterol, repair cells and perform other essential maintenance.

3) There is no such thing as good and bad cholesterol

The formula for cholesterol is C27H46O. There is no good or bad version. Ignorant people call HDL ‘good’ cholesterol and LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol. Neither HDL nor LDL are even cholesterol – they are lipoproteins. HDL is High Density Lipoprotein and LDL is Low Density Lipoprotein. HDL is smaller than LDL and is therefore higher in density. Lipoproteins carry cholesterol, protein, phospholipids and triglyceride around the blood stream to undertake vital roles.

4) The cholesterol blood test is a guess

The standard blood test can only measure total cholesterol & HDL. So we have one equation, four unknowns, only two of which can be measured:

Total cholesterol = LDL + HDL + Triglycerides (VLDL)/5

Any GCSE maths student will tell you that this is insolvable.

Your best option is not to get your cholesterol ever tested and then you can never be a victim of the cholesterol lowering machinery that will kick in if your guestimate fails the following test…

5) There is no science behind the number “5”

Even after years of artificial intervention, the average cholesterol level in the UK is somewhere between 5.6 – 6.3 mmol/l (Ref 2) (216-244 mg/dl). The powers-that-be have decided that this should be 5mmol/l (193 mg/dl). This is like saying that the average height for a woman is 5’4” and we have decreed that it should be 5’1”. We could then stop the body from performing a natural function (growth) by administering drugs to stop growth hormones from doing their job. I trust that this analogy disturbs you. It is, however, frighteningly similar to what we are doing with attempts to lower average cholesterol levels.

6) “There’s no connection whatsoever between cholesterol in food and cholesterol in blood. And we’ve known that all along.” Ancel Keys

Dietary cholesterol is only found in animal foods – meat, fish, eggs and dairy. Ancel Keys spent the 1950s feeding humans high levels of animal foods to see if dietary cholesterol had any impact on blood cholesterol levels. He concluded unequivocally that it did not. He never deviated from this view. While exonerating cholesterol, Keys also exonerated animal foods at the same time – and any substance contained therein. If large intakes of animal foods have no impact on cholesterol levels, then neither animal foods per se or any component of these foods (water, protein, cholesterol, saturated or unsaturated fat) have any impact on cholesterol levels!

Unaware of this irrefutable logic, diet ‘experts’ will tell you that saturated fat raises LDL and unsaturated fat raises HDL. They won’t tell you how. I have yet to kind a biochemist who can explain how this can happen – let alone that it does. As every food that contains fat contains all three fats (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) you cannot consume any food that has saturated and not unsaturated fat, or vice versa.

Even if the very small 3 grams per 100 grams of unsaturated fat in sirloin steak (Ref 3) could raise HDL and even if the even smaller 2 grams per 100 grams of saturated fat in sirloin steak could raise LDL – where would this leave our insolvable equation?!

The US dietary guidelines are due to be re-issued this year. The draft report announced in February 2015 that “cholesterol is no longer a nutrient of concern” (Ref 4). It never was you Muppets!

7) Low cholesterol is associated with higher mortality. High cholesterol is associated with lower mortality

I have analysed cholesterol levels and death rates for all 192 countries for which the World Health Organisation has data. You may need to read this carefully. The lower the cholesterol levels, the higher the death rate; the higher the cholesterol levels, the lower the death rate. This holds for men and women and for heart disease deaths and total deaths from any cause – for all the countries in the world. Knowing how utterly vital cholesterol is to human life, this makes complete sense (Ref 5).

8) Follow the money

Why would humans put so much effort into stopping the body from doing something that it is designed to do – make cholesterol?

Statins are drugs that impair the body’s production of cholesterol. One statin alone, Lipitor, has been worth $125 billion to Pfizer since 1997 (Ref 6). This statin is the most lucrative drug in the world. It is not the only statin.

Thankfully statins don’t work perfectly. If they stopped the body producing cholesterol altogether they would have a 100% death rate.

An entire low-fat spread industry, worth billions, has emerged simply by adding plant sterols to margarines because the brainwashed public will buy anything with “cholesterol lowering” properties. These plant sterols compete in the human body with human cholesterol and the overall impact on heart health is serious (Ref 7). I trust my body to make the cholesterol it needs. I’m not going to replace this with a foreign compound.

Back to the dinner party: While my healthy heart sank at the nonsense being asserted by intelligent acquaintances, there was an upside to their naive acceptance of propaganda: When the cheese course arrived, there was plenty to be enjoyed by the enlightened!

References:

Ref 1: http://www.neurology.org/content/71/17/1368.extract

Ref 2: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/06/...-longer-normal/

Ref 3: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...products/7493/0

Ref 4: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines...entific-report/

Ref 5: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2010/11/...what-you-think/

Ref 6: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...op-selling-drug

Ref 7: http://thescipub.com/abstract/10.38...ci.2014.167.169
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 05:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

So true!

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 06:55

BF:

Great article. Thanks Janet.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 07:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've seen many of my relatives on statins have memory loss; I've also seen a very high incidence of Alzheimer's developing in my relatives taking statins.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 07:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Your best option is not to get your cholesterol ever tested and then you can never be a victim of the cholesterol lowering machinery that will kick in if your guestimate fails the following test

I've been doing this for years. I tell my doctor that I have not intention of ever taking a statin or any other cholesterol lowering drug so there is no reason to have my cholesterol checked. It took a while but it seems she has finally come on board with this approach. This is a good reminder for me since I have my "annual" physical tomorrow and I intend once again not to fall prey to unnecessary testing.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I'm on track for the full lipid panel when I get back from Italy. I think I will tell my CNP the same thing.

She knows I think through my health decisions, so it's not like I haven't said "No," before! As in: "No, I won't get a flu shot." "No, I won't get a shingles shot."
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 13:09

BF:

The trouble is with Doctors is when you question their advice, they get annoyed "Who's the doctor???"

Jo xxx
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 13:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 14:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Indeed lol!!

Jo xxx
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 19:03

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Well, my primary caregiver is a nurse practitioner, and I was an RN, so there's not a lot of differential there.

Even if she were a doctor, she can't order me to have a test I don't want to have. She can try to lead me to feel guilty, or scared, if I don't take her advice.

But just as it's my choice not to eat grains and sugar, it's my choice to have or not have testing for a substance which function most healthcare professionals know little or nothing about.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 21:50

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

"doesn’t actually measure LDL (the thing they call ‘bad cholesterol’ – they guess it"

Guess it? I really doubt that. Calculate it sure but guess? Please. I'm not sure why people insist on making things up especially when it comes to science.