Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 14:00

Plan:
Stats: 185/150/145
BF:
Progress:

First visit to this site. Hope someone can help. I've been doing low carb eating for 1.5 yrs. Have lost 35 pounds and feel great. Just found out my total cholesterol has jumped to 302 total (87 HDL and 102 Triglyceride level).
My doctor wants to put me on Lipitor.

Any advice? I don't want to take meds. All the low carb plans boast Cholesterol will go down...mine didn't. I am 52 years old and in perfect health otherwise.

Thanks - SAT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 14:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi SAT,

I know of other low-carbers with similar reaction. Some have modified their low-carb diet to be low-fat and low-carb with good results. Not sure if you might be in the same boat, but discuss this option with your doctor, and see if it improves your numbers.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 20:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi SAT, welcome to the forum

Um, just a few questions. Are you male or female, and if you're female, are you post-menopausal? If you are post-menopausal, are you taking HRT? Also, do you have a strong family history of high cholesterol and heart disease? You have lost 35 lbs (congrats!) but do you still have more weight to lose, ie. are you still overweight? These factors all make a big difference.

I can offer some very general information, but without knowing many details, sorry I can't be specific for you.

First, I must say I had to look the numbers up - in Canada, we use a different numeric system for cholesterol and triglyceride readings. Normal total cholesterol is 140 to 310 mg/dl - desirable is below 200 - but it is not (or should not) be used as the sole indicator of health risk. Your HDL cholesterol is the so-called "good" cholesterol. It's desirable for men that the level be over 40, and for women, over 50mg/dl. Your level is 87, so that's very good. You didn't mention LDL, the "bad"cholesterol, it's desirable to be below 130. Triglycerides are considered normal up to 200 mg/dl, although if your other risk factors for heart disease are high, it would be desirable to be below 100.

You are right to be cautious about cholesterol-lowering drugs. Without any other risk of heart disease being present, there might be other things you can try first. These drugs have significant side effects, not the least of which is liver damage. Ask your doctor and pharmacist LOTS of questions.

Wa'il's suggestion to try lower fat is a good one. Especially cut way back on the saturated fat, that is fat from animal sources. Eat lean red meats less often, pull the skin off poultry, and eat fish more often. Choose low-fat dairy products and water-pack tuna or sardines. Switch to low-cholesterol egg substitutes. Use unsaturated vegetable oils, such as olive, flax or canola, and have a handful of nuts as a snack instead of cheese or fatty meat. Fiber is known to help lower cholesterol, so make sure you are eating plenty of high-fiber veggies, and take a fiber supplement such as psyllium or Metamucil.

Aerobic exercise also lowers cholesterol, so brisk walking, cycling, rowing etc. as long as it gets your heart rate up and stays up for at least 20 min. Weight lifting is great for fat-loss and muscle-building, but is not aerobic enough for the heart ..

Investigate nutritional supplements, such as coenzyme Q10, a powerful antioxidant. There's also vitamin E and selenium.

Good luck,
Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/198/150
BF:
Progress:
Angry My cholesterol is high too

I have just joined this forum hoping someone will give me some tips to get my cholestrol down. I started low-carbing about three years ago, but this year have been slack and half my lost weight has gone on again.

Had cholestrol tests done this week and they are higher than they have ever been - doctor is threatening medication and made lots of unhelpful diet suggestions like having only a tiny portion of protein each day and eating lots of bread. I definitely don't want to do that so have started on strict Atkins again, but am wondering if the fat is the cause or if one of the other plans is better?

Has anyone any suggestions, or had this experience?

One thing for certain I am not increasing carbs for anyone!!

Thanks

Caroline