Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Default Doctor put me on Lipitor

Hi all...

I went to a new doctor recently, mostly because I hadn't had a checkup in quite a while. She sent me for the usual bloodwork for a person my age (44). I was concerned about my sugar levels since diabetes runs in my mother's family big time. My father had high blood pressure, but I don't know about his cholesterol or heart disease. He did die from an aneurism (sp?). Otherwise, I don't know anything else about his health history.

But, she was actually more concerned about my cholesterol levels. Now, I don't know how to read the numbers, but I do know that my total level hasn't changed from about 5 years ago. That was before I started lc eating. I've been off lc for a couple of months, but really want to start back.

Anyway, I'm concerned about having to take Lipitor. She put me on 10mg/day and wants me to have new blood work done in 3 months. I don't really want to take the meds.

Here are my numbers...I'd like some opinions, please. Are they really bad enough to need medication??

Glucose: 87
Cholesterol: 218
Triglycerides: 121
HDL: 49
LDL: 145
Ratio: 4.45

Thanks, everyone!!

TTFN!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 11:57

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

First a disclaimer...I'm not a doctor...just someone who has been where you are...unfortunately I took the Lipitor and suffered for it. So obviously I will caution you to NOT take it. Below I will post some links for you to read up on statin drugs and their side effects. Side effects that are, in my opinion, worse than the problem statins are supposed to be fixing. Second, if heart disease is a concern then you want to have your homocysteine levels checked as elevated inflammation of your vessels is the cause for heart attacks not cholesterol.

Glucose: 87
Cholesterol: 218
Triglycerides: 121
HDL: 49
LDL: 145

I am assuming these are fasting levels. As far as your numbers are concerned, according to the latest parameters that most doctors use (which in my opinion are far to low and have been lowered to allow more people to fall into the category for need and there by increase the sales of these drugs) they are not that bad. I am also assuming that you have no other risk factors such as diabetes when I quote what I do below. If you do have other risk factors than the parameters change somewhat.

Based on that your glucose is fine, it should be between 70 -100. Your total cholesterol is slightly high, 200 is optimal. Your HDL is good as it should be 40 and above. Your Triglycerides are getting high, should be 150 or lower. You can lower that through exercise. Your LDL is also high, should be 100 or lower. You can lower that by not eating processed foods, refined sugars, & exercise. There are also supplements that you can take to help with these if your interested in that sort of thing. Overall though your numbers are not that bad and can be taken care of through diet and exercise.

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html
http://www.statinalert.org/mainpage.html
http://www.thincs.org/links.htm
http://www.theomnivore.com/
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Unhappy

My opinion? Don't take the Lipitor. If you decide to take it, however, take CoQ-10 along with it.

I am pretty much against any of the statins, except, maybe in a VERY small population. A woman under 50 with no signs of heart disease or diabetes (which if controlled shouldn't even BE a risk factor IMHO) and a total cholesterol of 218 is NOT someone who should be in that population. (Also if you are still able to have children, be sure to prevent any pregnancy while on these meds!)

Personally, tho I don't believe the whole cholesterol causes heart disease theory. I do agree that high triglycerides are bad (because they're directly related to carb consumption), but pretty much feel the rest of the numbers are useless. MAYBE there's something to the type of LDL you have, but my experience is that docs are reluctant to do the differentiating testing.

I'm 51 and last test I had done I had a total of about 265. My HDL was just about the same at 48, my tri's (after a very bad weekend) were in the 150's. Initially my doc told me I needed to go back on Lipitor (bad side effects), even tho I had no other risk factors....NO family history, quit smoking, not diabetic, BP normal, etc. The only "risks" I had were my cholesterol numbers. When I protested and said I wouldn't take the meds even if my LDL went up to 350 she suddenly decided since I quit smoking there probably wasn't a need for it.

If you feel the need to lower your total and LDL and increase your HDL (hey, it can't hurt, right? well maybe not)....then try doing it naturally first. B complex and folic acid, exercise, removing processed foods, excess carbs and trans-fats from your diet are probably the most important things you can do. This should also lower your homocystine and CRP levels (inflammation markers), which some feel are more indicative of impending heart disease.

Some feel taking cinnamon, policosanol, plant sterols, niacin, etc can all help lower your numbers or "risk". (Red yeast rice is a natural statin and pretty much carries the same risk) Eating healthy veggies, adequate protein and natural fresh fats is also very important.

If you do decide to take the statins, be sure to take CoQ-10, since statins are known for depleting the body's coQ-10 stores and this is essential for the body. This is very important, but may docs (like mine) don't tell patients to take it.

Also, please do some research online and make sure you know what side effects are related to statin use. Here's a good place to start: http://medicine.ucsd.edu/SES/adverse_effects.htm Also be aware that side effects may not show up until you've been on the meds for a while. And a lot of people report muscle problems that do NOT show an increase in CPK (the marker for muscle damage). Side effects often do not go away quickly when the med is resumed, so docs often use this as proof that the statin wasn't the cause.

Also, don't let your total cholesterol go below 160. Levels below 160 seem to point to a higher incidence of depression and suicide ideation. And remember....cholesterol is so essential to the human body that it can produce what ever it needs....statins prevents this from happening.....so if your body needs cholesterol (like for creating new blood vessels, repairing others, etc) and the levels are too low the body can't even produce what it needs.

Consider this too. Back when they first started talking about high cholesterol being a cause of heart disease, the accepted total cholesterol levels were much higher than they are now. People with "familial hypercholesterolemmia" had levels over 350 before they were treated! Now the levels are lowered significantly....in some cases to as low as 180! That's only 20 points higher than what was always considered the "acceptable minimum".

That's my 2 cents....ok, dollar and a quarter.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1272
First a disclaimer...I'm not a doctor...just someone who has been where you are...unfortunately I took the Lipitor and suffered for it.

Yea me too. Not a doc, took the meds and paid for it. RN for almost 30 yrs.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 12:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

By staying on low-carb, your TG level will drop and you will not have a reason to take a statin. I have a supply of statins in the medicine cabinet that have been sitting there for almost three years.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
My opinion? Don't take the Lipitor. If you decide to take it, however, take CoQ-10 along with it.

CindySue... your my hero ..have I ever mentioned that??

I totally blanked and forgot to mention the CoQ10 and that is usually the 1st thing I suggest

Also, on the side effects thing taking awhile, I know people that it took over 2 years for it to show up...me...it began by the 2nd week I was on it Oddly enough though after I was off it for a month I did start taking red yeast rice while simultaneously taking the CoQ10 and had no side effects, neither though did I see any significant change in my levels. The change I did see I attribute to LCing and exercise.

Last edited by Rain1272 : Sat, Aug-13-05 at 14:24.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Default Question

Hi all...

It's me again.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. I think I had already decided to go off the medicine when I posted, but it's nice to know that I'm not completely offbase. I have a question about the CoQ10 and other supplements. Is there a brand that is better/more effective than others. Also, besides my multivitamin, what other supplements should I be taking? Calcium? Magnesium? Vitamin E?

Again, thanks for the help!! You're all awesome!!

TTFN!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 15:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinNV
Hi all...

It's me again.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. I think I had already decided to go off the medicine when I posted, but it's nice to know that I'm not completely offbase. I have a question about the CoQ10 and other supplements. Is there a brand that is better/more effective than others. Also, besides my multivitamin, what other supplements should I be taking? Calcium? Magnesium? Vitamin E?

Again, thanks for the help!! You're all awesome!!

TTFN!!

On the CoQ10 you want to make sure that it is in gelcaps, in an oil or vitamin-E base to be absorbed. I get mine at wal-mart, spring valley brand, 30 50mg softgels for around 7.00. For the other supplements, that depends on what you want to accomplish... I will be glad to help you with this as it is sort of a field of study for me.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1272
CindySue... your my hero ..have I ever mentioned that??

LOL you are too funny!

I hadn't heard that about the CoQ-10 being oil based....I get caps from The Vitamin Shoppe. I always take them with a meal, however, and my meals are I guess plenty fatty.

I was on Lipitor before I started having nausea and vomiting. When I stopped it, however, is when I realized the other problems I was having. Biggest concern was memory problems. I remember asking doc about exercise intolerance, but neither of us tied it to the Lipitor....until I stopped it and those symptoms went away. Depression too.....I was so bad I could barely get out of bed! But didn't connect the two until after going off Lipitor (not sure if this was due to low total, 154, or the med itself...but symptoms resolved when med was stopped).