Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 00:44

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

Nancy, if I eat dairy now I'm on the potty nonstop. Also there is a stomache bug making the rounds.

My DH has IBS and wheat does it to him too....and dairy......and fats.....and who know what all. IBS is a real bummer.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm a little dismayed because when I stopped eating all gluten I got better and figured that was my problem. Well, after the company xmas party I'll go milk product free for awhile and see if that helps.
  #168   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 15:59

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Seems odd though- after all you carried on eating dairy when you stopped the gluten and you got better...if you had dairy issues would you have got better? How do you know you haven't picked up a bit of bacteria somewhere that is causing this??

When is the office Xmas party- perhaps if you still eat dairy and get better before the party you will know it wasn't dairy.

Have you had a big dose of sugar alcohols? That can affect folks in this way too.
  #169   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello everyone! I'm back after a long break. Normally I'd chat a little bit before asking for help, but I'm forced to be succinct at the moment...sorry. A lot of you seem to know your way around a kitchen a lot better than I do, and I'm a bit disappointed that the only thing I can do with cooked chicken is the same that I do to canned chicken breast (throw on some buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper). Can any of you tell me of some herbs and spices (or combination thereof) that I can throw on my chicken while it's in the pan to make it taste different? I really need simplicity, and just enough variety to make it easier to go 4 weeks on plan since I've lost pretty much all my willpower.

Thanks!
  #170   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 18:10

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19

sautee veggies with turkey bacon, add wine if you like and Italian seasoning (comes premixed in spice dept) throw scallopini chicken breasts in put lid on and bake until cooked. Pretty easy and somewhat yummy. I normally dislike chicken because its usually only as good as what you put on it.

Last edited by pinkquinn : Wed, Nov-30-05 at 18:10. Reason: misspell
  #171   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 19:21

Make a chicken tretazzini: steam cauliflower and that will be instead of rice or pasta. Cook chicken strips in pan sprayed with oil/nostick stuff, along with sliced onion and garlic, add 1/4 cup canned chicken stock and at the end, add 1/4 cup ff sour cream
and let it spread through the sauce- pour over cauli.

You can do this same dish with lean beef strips, to create a stroganoff.

Another easy one: make a foil pouch with a big piece of foil, throw in sliced chicken, sliced onions, mushrooms, 1/4 cup red wine, a tsp tarragon and garlic salt. Close the pouch and leave a little gap for steam at the top, bake in hot oven for half hour.

I think you'll find more recipes if you look at the low cal recipe thread too.
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 19:25
Experimenter

BF:

How about some chicken Tandori? Mix equal parts of Tandori spices (check a good Indian store), yogurt and lemon juice. Marinate the chicken breasts for a couple of hours.

Put them on a foil covered baking sheet (easier to clean up) and broil them about 4-6 inches or so from the heat source. Ummm... can't remember how long I do it. Maybe 5 minutes each side? Gotta get a bit of char on them.

If you're feeling fancy, cut them into chunks and skewer them and alternate with green pepper and onion. Broil them, turning frequently.

Another easy thing is to get a jar of some sort of low-cal, low carb sauce. Trader Joe's has a ton of them. Just cook the chicken breasts with the sauce until they're done. Super easy and very quick. I like their Spinach Punjabi sauce.
  #173   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 00:12
Registered Member

BF:

LOL pink, Val, and Nancy...I really appreciate that, but those recipes are what I was trying to avoid. I was looking more for, "Sprinkle tarragon, cumin, and basil on the chicken". Now I'm sure that exact recipe would be pretty bad, but that's my point. I guess I'll try the Trader Joe's idea, but I won't keep my hopes up (just smelling the Walden Farms marinara sauce made me gag).

So I guess the question, then, is "Can you list some good combinations of dried spices?"
  #174   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 01:49

Since this is low fat cooking, the stuff you sprinkle on a skinless chicken breast is not going do much nor even stick well. So you might be best to look for low carb sauces, brush them on your chicken, and bake or sauté.

Basic flavour combos: Italian- oregano, basil, garlic, onion
Mexican- cumin, oregano, garlic, chili
French- tarragon, rosemary, garlic
Curry- curry powder/ tandoori plus yogurt
Hungarian- sweet paprika

mixing yogurt with herbs is good, esp. garlic and dill- just coat the chicken with it and bake. This takes maybe 5 seconds more than just sprinkling herbs.

Hope that helps.
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 03:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Val! That's exactly what I was looking for.

And the other recipes do sound really great, I just don't see myself putting forth the effort and making them...
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

If you've got a Trader Joe's around get their frozen, grilled chicken strips. Its already seasoned and nicely grilled, just reheat. I think it is called "Just Grilled Chicken" or something like that. I use them in my lunch salads.
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 09:26
Experimenter

BF:

Horray! I'm into VT today, just, just barely. I really am not celebrating because for a long, long time I touch down here then bounce out. I'm rather surprised to be here because I'm PMSing, and I ate a lot on Tday. But yesterday I had a day that was nearly perfect diet-wise.

Anyway, I'll try to have another near-perfect diet day today. I'm hoping my extended "maintenance" non-PSMF dieting period restored my metabolism and I have have another run of weight loss.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Horray! I'm into VT today, just, just barely. I really am not celebrating because for a long, long time I touch down here then bounce out. I'm rather surprised to be here because I'm PMSing, and I ate a lot on Tday. But yesterday I had a day that was nearly perfect diet-wise.

Anyway, I'll try to have another near-perfect diet day today. I'm hoping my extended "maintenance" non-PSMF dieting period restored my metabolism and I have have another run of weight loss.

Hoooooooooooooooray!!!

I've been skipping meals, as I'm too nauseous (?) to eat.. but this afternoon, I had a nice grilled grouper sammich and cole slaw. That should hold me until tomorrow, sometime.

Where's our Dec thread?????
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 13:08
Experimenter

BF:

Shoot! Didn't realize today was December! Yikes! Ok... getting on the ball.