Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 01:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140.5/132/121
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default changing from Atkins to CAD

I found the cad book yesterday by accident and it was on sale!!

I have one question - who the hell wants to follow Atkins if you can follow CAD??????

I am so excited with this totally new way of eating - I am just not sure if it will work - it sounds to good to be true!!

I do not mind losing weight slowly (I have only about 10 pounds to lose

I would love to hear from people following this diet and their success stories
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 01:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I have one question - who the hell wants to follow Atkins if you can follow CAD??????

1. People whose addiction to carbs is such that it would send them on a binge, even within the CAD guidelines.

2. People who would rather be free from the dubious value of white flour, sugar and refined carbohydrates.

3. People who would rather not spend time during the day dwelling on their reward meal.

4. People who would rather not use food as a reward.

There's probably a few more!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 04:29

BF:

OK - I see your point!

i think I will give it a try anyhow and see what it dies for me!

I think my husband will also follow it easier than Atkins.

I will keep you up to date - we'll see what happens - maybe I'm back to Atkins in a month or two.

The one thing I know is that I never want to go back to eating the way I did since I was a teenager - I never stopped stuffing myself!

I think it is a complete miracle that I weigh what I weigh - with the eating habits I had I should have been at least 160pounds!

I think I always just known when to halt for a while -just to go back to old habits - I can promise you - never again!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 08:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 246.4/245.4/160 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 1%

This is the second time around for me on CAD.
It does work!
I originally lost 20lbs on it in within 6-8 weeks.
I started eating my 1 carb meal a day (reward meal) but this soon became two meals or I'd extend my 1 hour eating time.

I think you really have to be in the right frame of mind to do it. I have to honestly say that I didn't get the craving for carbs throughout the day it was just bad eating habits reappearing.
If your like me and cannot give up your carbs totally and are serious about sticking to the one reward meal a day then give it a try.
The Heller's don't really emphasis the importance of drinking water but please try and drink loads of it with CAD, it has been my salvation.

Been on CAD 19 days lost 8lbs. Not as much first time around but I attend to stick with this for life.

Good luck

Madihah
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 01:28

BF:

Thank you for the motivation - I had my fisrt reward meal in 8 weeks!

I overdid it completely - I had a McDonalds quarter pounder and cheese!! with fries

I feel like an alcoholic must feel getting drunk after months being sober! I will not overdo it again! I'll start with the salad and then have a balanced meal.

I oredered a digital scale this morning to track my weightloss better.

I bought the outdated book - The Addicted to carbohydrate diet
and only saw the new one on internet yesterday - I will see if I can find it here

I look forward to dinner - a salad with honey mustard sauce in stead of the mayo - i'm tired of mayo!! Maybe I won't even need anything else!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
4. People who would rather not use food as a reward.

I think using food as a reward is what got a lot of us into this shape to begin with.

I did CAD about 5 or so yrs ago when I had about 10 or so lbs to loose. It did work but I was obsessed about what I would eat and not being bothered during MY HOUR...... it just didn't seem natural. And my food cravings never went away like they have with Atkins.

But different things work for different people.... so it won't hurt to give it a try!!
Good Luck with it!!
Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 06:49

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default what is cad/calp

what does cad and calp stand for?i/m interested in reading the book but don't know what to look for. wawtigress
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:11

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

I would recommend CALP, Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program. It's by Dr.s Richard and Rachel Heller
CAD was written eariler and the newer information is very important.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 16:35

BF:
Default Thanks about cad/calp

I picked up both Cad/Calp at a used book store today and have been reading. I like the concept of more regular food. I'm thinking a bout trying for a week or so and see if i lose any more weight. It is difficult cooking two different meals a day.Wawtigress
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 05:59

BF:
Default Maintaining so far

I love the idea of this Cal/Calp diet . this is my 5th day and i have not gained a single lb back from the atkins. I was afraid I would with the change. I'm totally free of hunger even tho the carbs at the dinner meal. I started out with the compl.break. and lunch and decided yesterday to cut one out and go for brunch. I made the recipe of cauliflower pancakes with melted cheese on top and a slice of bacon.It was great. I would only recommend this meal if not going to be out all day. you need both protein meals then. For reward meal I had a large salad c dressing(you must eat this first) then I had a boneless chicken breast sauteed in butter and added greenbeans until tender with a blueberry muffin and for dessert diet jello with P.b cookies(both leftovers from atkins.by the time i finished the salad I could only eat about a tblsp. of each of the other items. This has been the way all week. I was unable to eat the whole meal. I use the Cad right now because of all the instructions and charts to guide you but i use the CALP for my reward meal guidelines to get a balanced meal.I'm weighing myself daily and charting . I made a weight chart from the one in book and made copies so no excuse for not keeping track.You do have to stay in control but it is worth reg.food.wawtigress
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-01, 06:34

BF:
Default lost 2 lbs on Cad

I lost 2lbs at the end of the first week on Cad and maintained it on the second day so i feel good. this makes a 12lb loss including the induction on atkins. I like this diet so much better. I can handle it .Wawtigress
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 06:07

Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/242.1/235
BF:
Progress: 72%
Talking Way to go!!

Great for you mom. Keep up the good work. Do what works for you, that's what really matters. Love you lots. God bless.

ME

#13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 03:17

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Smile Me too...CALP

Hi Watigress,
I just switched from atkins to CALP.
It is only day two but no probs at all.

Yesterday I was doing CAD but I read some of the threads around this section of the low-carber forum and realized I needed to have more current info.

Soooo...I sent my hubby out to find the CALP book at the library (Iwas painting a desk)...and ,bless him, he came back with the CALP Cookbook and Healthy Heart Book as well as the Lifespan.!!
Obviously I have a lot of reading to do.

So I was wondering how you are going.
Have you had any probs?
Have you got any advice for me?
Thanks in advance
kezza
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 06:05

BF:
Default answer about CALP

Hi, glad to hear from you. I'm doing the Calp but using the charts and info also in CAd. I was on atkins induction and lost 10 lbs in a month but stopped losing and was going crazy cooking different meals for my husband and myself . It is difficult enough cooking for two people and i was having a terrible time with swelling from the salt . I switched and after the 6th day of the entry portion of CAD i had lost 3 lbs. but on Xmas day we went to a buffet and most of the food was carbs and I gained back two lbs. but it could be the salt again. not being able to control.But I love this way of eating , no more false food and having to prepare all the time ahead. I eat protein and veggies for break and lunch and then at dinner , I have a salad ,meat and carb. I try to choose only one carb. If I'm dying for a potato then I have it but not a roll and dessert also unless it is diet jello. mostly I choose a muffin for my starch. it gives me my carb and sweet.This being a breakfast or a cake muffin. you're only supposed to lose 1-2 lbs a week same as on atkins but with better food so I will stick with it and tweek it to fit my bodies needs. I have even thought that after a few weeks try atkins induction for a week or so and then back to CALPsince i didn't gainany weight lost back when i switched before .keep checking in, my daughter is also switching to Cad?CAlp.She is Samtigress. lots of luck. Wawtigress
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 07:05

Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/242.1/235
BF:
Progress: 72%
Cool Still towing the line...

Hi mom --

I'm still hangin in there. I think I may have over done it last night, but I haven't gained any, so that's good. Tomorrow we're going to Mark's mom's for a get-together. This should be interesting, but Mark promises to keep me in line.

I wish I would hurry up and drop another pound or two. I've been stuck at this same weight for a week now. Its getting old. UGH!!

Keep up the good work you're doing and continue to share the knowledge. Love you...xoxoxo -- God bless.