Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 08:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well when I moved here the closest TJ's was 220 miles away in Atlanta. A year later one opened 63 miles away in Gainesville (I went there a couple times). Then in late 2013 one opened in Jacksonville Beach a mere 35 miles away.

There is only one Whole Foods in the entire Jacksonville area ~ luckily only 13 miles from me, so I actually get there a bit more often than TJ ~ though 95% of the time I still just go to the local Publix two miles from home.

I'd certainly try a 365 Store if they put one closer to home for me than TJ's, at least to compare. Every other month I have a Pastel Society meeting at a location two miles diwn the road from TJ, so I stop in after my meeting and stock up on things I might want.

At the local shopping center two miles away they are breaking ground for some new construction. Some folks who claim to be in the know say it's going to be a Fresh Market. If so I'm sure I'll visit there also.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

WF tried to open a store in uptown Mpls, a couple of years ago. It's the location of the Wedge Coop, the oldest and biggest coop grocery store in the Twin Cities (I'm a member, oldest son used to work there).

There was a huge outcry by the neighborhood against it as even those who aren't members wanted to save the Wedge. Ultimately, WF backed down, and excellent local food and unique organics at good prices are safe in that neighborhood. I always get my turkeys for Thanksgiving there, and only 1.99 a pound for true free range (run around outside all summer) turkeys.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 10:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I don't want to start a "store war" here, but if you're concerned at all about how workers are paid and treated:

TJs ranks very high.
WF is vehemently non-union.

I have to travel a little to get to a TJs here in Las Vegas. I've been using their brand of psyllium for about 30 years and last week I was there to pick up a container. For the very first time, there was none. When I asked, I was told the product "is being reformulated" and will return soon. Pure psyllium husks with no additives, what's to reformulate? Guess I'll do as I usually do and let amazon deliver it straight to my door.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 18:41

I rarely, if ever, go to WF. If there's a special deal, like an Amex "spend $50 at WF, get a $10 statement credit" I'll go there, but I prefer both Target and TJ's.

TJ's doesn't have unions, either. But in talking to cashiers at one that had just opened about the union pickets outside the door, they told me that they were making more there than at union grocery stores.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A reason I shop at Trader Joe's...it opened nine years ago last month and about third of the original employees or at least of many years are still there...and happy. They like their rotating jobs...everyone is trained as a cashier, stock, the Question walker, the demo kitchen. I helped one with LC paleo and she lost about 30 pounds since I talk to many of them about the health of products at the demo bar, all very friendly. The store has a German man and Austrailan woman who have been working the wine dept. for years...so easy...just buy whatever they tell me is good. I literally bypass a couple of dozen (my town is SO overbuilt with retail) other grocers that are closer (Publix, Fresh Market, Earthfare and all the regulars) to go five miles to TJ.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-09-15 at 07:05.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 08:57

I agree, Janet. One of our TJ's has a young woman employee with Down's Syndrome. She performs, not all, but most of those functions. And it's so clear that she is enormously proud to be a useful member of the team.

In MN, the wine dept is a separate "store", with a separate entrance, because our benighted legislature can't get it together to allow liquor sales in grocery stores. Or on Sunday, for that matter. The lobbyists for the liquor store owners must be really, really good.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 10:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I don't want to start a "store war" here, but if you're concerned at all about how workers are paid and treated:

TJs ranks very high.
WF is vehemently non-union.

This matters a LOT to me- thanks for posting it.

side note- with holidays upon us, many people are shopping for electronics. the apple store next to me has a program to employ people with visual or hearing disabilities, so they can live independently/ support themselves.....not sure if all locations have such a program, but i love this.
<3 <3 <3
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I literally bypass a couple of dozen (my town is SO overbuilt with retail) other grocers that are closer (Publix, Fresh Market, Earthfare and all the regulars) to go five miles to TJ.
If my TJ was a mere 5 miles away (as opposed to 35 miles) I'd be doing that too! But even when I lived in NJ which had a lot more Trader Joe's stores there were none closer than a 35-40 minute drive away, so even then I went there rarely.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 16:01

A few hours ago I wrote my town is way overbuilt with grocers. Just Announced that the European chain Lidl (Aldi's biggest competitor in Europe) is going to break into the US market...where? why here of course! And where will they build? Across the street from Aldi's The concept of "destination marketing" has never made any sense to me...only to the site selection mavens who created it.
What could Lidl possibly sell us we dont already have? Now both Aldi's and Lidl will be closer than TJs. I know I shouldn't complain, but this happened with drug stores a decade ago...they piled in, overbuilt, consolidated and then closed up. Same will happen with the grocers.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-10-15 at 06:46.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 10:14

TJ has had coconut cream (with thickeners) for a few years, but the life cycle of Coconut Milk is ever evolving. For a while it was a TJ light and regular non-organic, only a few months ago that was replaced by Native Forest Organic light or plain regular still with some guar gum, then the plain full fat organic disappeared last month. Today is a new label TJ Organic coconut milk without any additives or thickeners at all. It is not the Native Forest hiding under a new TJ label, shaking the two, this is definitely less thick, but still full fat, with slightly different serving sizes and Nutrition counts. Thickeners an all, I like the Coconut cream for coffee and that hasn't changed.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-11-16 at 10:23.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 09:19

TJ's has introduced their version of a Kind Bar, but with fewer carbs. Third ingredient is inulin. Two of the bars have 14 total carbs, only 7 net. A little honey, fig or date for sweet...not bad though, about 5 g of sugars.

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/pos...olate-nut-bars/
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 13:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thickeners an all, I like the Coconut cream for coffee and that hasn't changed.
I just bought some canned coconut cream online from netrition.com. I haven't opened it yet but it seems so thick that nothing at all sloshes when you shake the can. The only ingredient listed is "non-GMO coconut milk". No thickeners, etc. I'm looking forward to trying it.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 19:37

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I really, really, really, hate you guys right now. Well, not really.

I grew up around Trader Joe's in Southern California, and now I live about 200 miles from the closest one.

We always load up when we're in any town with a TJ's, but nothing like having one handy.

I'm going to a different thread now ;(
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 18:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I grew up around Trader Joe's in Southern California, and now I live about 200 miles from the closest one.(
Have you looked at their expansion plans? When I moved to my current home 4 1/2 years ago the closest TJ's was 220 miles away. But a year later one moved in a mere 63 miles away, and then the following year the one that is now closest, only 35 miles away, quite doable.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-16, 05:20

Katmeyster...but you Don't have to deal with the parking lots

23 hilarious tweets about TJ parking lots:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/caseyrackha...Avr9#.euN3LVm4R

Actually ours isn't that bad, but only because as an old retired person I time my trips right. Weekends? No way! All these apply.