Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 03:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Asian Broth/Soup Recipe Help

I've been craving a really good Asian style soup lately. I'd like to use shiritaki noodles, napa cabbage, bok choy, and chicken to make it a nice filling meal. I'm just not very good with soups and my broths end up tasting weak and bland. Does anyone have any recipes for a good asian soup base? I'm assuming soy sauce and ginger to start but I need help!! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 05:35
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

hello and welcome to the forum.
a good soup starts with a good stock base.
make your own.
look for duck feet, chix feet, cow feet, cow knuckles, goat or pork neck bones...
put in a big pot of water with a little vinegar to pull the minerals out of the bones.
simmer for hours, taking what you need from time to time and put in a little pot and make a soup with your veggies and noodles. season your pot of broth the way you want... Asian, Mexican, Italian... use your favorite spices and herbs...
but keep the stock pot going...
keep adding bones, taking old bones out and throwing out..
just keep your stock pot going and you 'll have all the soup stock base you'll need.
when you tire of it, freeze in small containers.

this is good for a long winter!
hth.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 11:49

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
simmer for hours,

I think this is where a lot of people go wrong. It takes time. You can't expect it to happen in 30 minutes. I find it takes 2 hours minimum for chicken and other poultry, but a good 24 hours for beef and big mammal bones.

Another common mistake, I think, it that some people seem to expect just a few bones to flavor a gallon of water. Ain't gonna happen. Put all the bones you've got in your stockpot and then cover with water by just a couple inches. As water evaporates you can refill to that point, but there are limits to how much flavor your bones can produce.

Those are the most important points for making meat stock. (Vegetable stock is a whole different story -- 30-40 minutes maximum or it tastes nasty.) If you want to add vegetables for additional flavor (I consider celery essential), just add the vegetables in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Don't use brassicas (cabbage, broc, cauli, etc), asparagus, artichoke. Best to stick to celery, carrot, onion.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 18:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Awesome tips, tysm. I think where I've been going wrong is not simmering my stock long enough. I'm going to start saving all my chicken bones in a freezer bag and make some stock when I have enough.

I've tried store bought stock but it just tastes bland unless I add tons of salt..which then masks any weightloss I may have had. Thanks again!