Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 12:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/250/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default newbie here, fell off the wagon.

Hi everyone.
Im really glad to find this forum. I have gained 20 or so pounds since last august and i keep telling myself im not doing anything different but the truth is since i lost weight in 2006 on the atkins diet (50 pounds) i have tried to eat low fat but it has ended in disaster. i have put every pound back on and then some. I live in a household where everyone can eat what they like so it is a little difficult.Im hoping to find a bit of support here and a few tips. my weakness is bread and potatoes .I suppose the last straw was at the doctors office today when weight was brought up, I was so embarassed i wanted the ground to swallow me up. This is the first time I have posted on a forum , really need help and im feeling serious about this. Also I work long hours and need to bring food with me as i dont have any way of cooking it (except microwave) so any ideas would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 12:30
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Welcome!! Read and enjoy, this place is awesome. Jump in and make friends.

When I was taking lunches, I would cook enough to last all week on Sunday, then take it to work and nuke it and have a salad or cottage cheese. One week pork steaks, next week taco meat for taco salad, etc. I never get tired of eating the same thing all week, so it worked really well for me.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 12:42

BF:

yeh thats a good idea, to try and spend half an hour on sunday making a few lunches for the week. salad is very handy.. thanks for that!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 12:54

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Welcome!
I have found it helpful to cook extra portions when I make dinner and then I have leftovers for lunch the next day. I'm careful to separate out my lunch portion before the rest of the meal is served, otherwise my family is bound to eat up the whole thing and leave me with nothing.

I have found hard boiled eggs, cheesesticks, and (later on) full-fat greek yogurt (unsweetened) with blueberries and almonds to be great foods to eat at work. Also you can wrap cold cuts of meat in lettuce with mayo, mustard or cream cheese... and add other veggies if you like. Tuna salad rocks too, if you like tuna. I like to eat mine with strips of green and red bell pepper. That doesn't require any cooking at all.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Best of luck..

Greek salad's nice - lots of lettuce, olive oil, feta cheese and optional olives. Simple and easy to take in a sealed box.. Don't forget the fork.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 14:22

BF:

thanks a lot becky, pink clouds and kirsteen. some great ideas there. should make the working day a whole lot easier to get through without feeling like im starving. I felt very depressed this morning but feeling very positive now. Thanks again
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 15:01

BF:

Dr. Atkins has a great salad in the book.. It's just boiled eggs, bacon, lettuce and mustardy mayonnaise. Delish. You could cook several days worth of the eggs and bacon, then just assemble it each morning.

Also, there's prawn cocktail. That's good - lots of lettuce, some tomato, prawns.. then make the sauce from mayo, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce (bought Marie Rose sauce probably will be sweetened.)

We make smoked mackerel pate by mixing a smoked mackerel with freshly ground black pepper and some curd cheese. You can serve it on slices of tomato, or with a salad on the side. That's tasty and a bit different.

Also, just eggs chopped up with mayonnaise is good. You can have them with a tomato salad. One nice tomato salad is chopped tomatoes, lots of oregano or marjoram, generous olive oil, then press the tomatoes with the round side of a spoon to release some juice and stir.

A very nice broccoli salad can be made with raw broccoli and a dressing of mayo/cream and curry powder.. You could serve it with sliced chicken or meat and eggs

Try mixing 1-2tblsp mayo and 1-2 tblsp of either cream or water, add 1-2 tsp curry powder to taste, then add some chopped red pepper and a can of tuna, and serve on a bed of greens.. You can also add other veg if you want, such as courgettes, etc.

Here's a link to a post on this forum for a cauliflower salad, which tastes like potato salad and is seemingly delicious. I haven't tried it yet but I definitely shall. You could have it with some left over chicken, sliced meat, or something else:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...341&postcount=4

Enjoy. The diet gets easier and tastier the longer you search for good recipes which you enjoy.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 09:38.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 15:10

Stats: 325/235/200 Male 75 in
BF:
Progress: 72%

I brown bag it to work everyday with all sorts of food. I also keep several packages of sardines in my desk so if I didn't bring lunch or am tempted to stray from the path I have something to eat. Those little fish are filled with goodness and can really fill one up.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 15:18

BF:

I love to fry sardines in sliced garlic, mixed herbs, or oregano and olive oil, plus sliced tomatoes. Even tinned sardines are great like that. Yummy!

Tinned mackerel is nice covered in sliced cheese and grilled, served with tomato.

Tinned tuna is easy with mayo and veggies.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-06-12 at 09:39.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 16:31

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

A few things are my saving grace during Induction or periods of very low carbing. Taco salad is one either eaten out of a bowl or you can wrap it in lettuce leaves. I also have discovered chinese chicken lettuce wraps. Just about 2 lbs of chicken, cubed up really quick, cooked til it's done and then add in as much shitaki mushrooms as you like with some chili sauce (like Sriracha) and lots of garlic, ginger, and maybe some lemon grass (I get the last 2 in squeeze tubes to make it easier and quicker) all wrapped in lettuce with maybe some thinly sliced cabbage with mayo. SOOOO good and my favorite at the moment. Another favorite is just a cheeseburger in a bowl. Good ground meat (up to you if you want to make patties) with cheese then the typical burger fixings! I love this. You can also eat this in lettuce wraps. I think I might actually make it tomorrow for dinner with a little bacon! All are very simple for me to take to work the next day or for a few days.

I also like taking 15 mins on Sundays and making a dozen or so boiled eggs for quick breakfast that I can take to work and eat there since I'm not too keen on eating as soon as I get up and eat it with a cheese stick or mixed raw vegetables.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 02:05

BF:

Quote:
Just about 2 lbs of chicken, cubed up really quick, cooked til it's done and then add in as much shitaki mushrooms as you like with some chili sauce (like Sriracha) and lots of garlic, ginger, and maybe some lemon grass (I get the last 2 in squeeze tubes to make it easier and quicker) all wrapped in lettuce with maybe some thinly sliced cabbage with mayo.

Yummy flavours, and I'd like to try that.. It's a great idea for using up the spare chicken from the roast. But do you cook the mushrooms, garlic, etc. a bit or leave those raw? Also, have you tried marinating and cooking the chicken in the sauce, ginger, garlic and lemongrass? Or is it better to have those as a contrasting sauce.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 06:25

BF:

I usually cook it together without marinating because it's usually a last minute kind of "Oh you know what i want for dinner tonight?!" kind of thing. I should try that, though!

I usually cook the chicken by itself then take it out and add the mushrooms with the garlic, ginger, and lemon grass and once the mushrooms are almost done, add the chicken back in to heat through and coat it with all of the flavors.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 09:12

Stats: 221.6/205.0/135.0 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi msmanson, and welcome! Having outsiders, especially a doctor, comment on your weight can be really embarrassing and hurtful. Especially if you already KNOW you've gained weight, and you're trying to do something about it.

I'm very new to this, but one thing I like to do is get a rotisserie chicken from the store (being careful to make sure there are no glazes/added sugars). You can eat it for dinner that night, and then pack the rest in the fridge - some for lunches or snacks on the weekend.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 09:44

BF:

LStump, thanks so much. I'll try that sometime. It sounds simple and tasty.

Foreveava - that's a great idea. I always buy a chicken and roast it, but I think it can be just as cheap to buy it ready cooked. There is something awfully good about a chicken straight out of the oven and served with its own gravy... Mmmmmm
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 10:12

BF:

I have to give credit where credit is due. I got the recipe from Rachel Ray but she also added in Hoisin sauce which has a lot of sugar in it plus I don't like hoisin sauce AT ALL and instead used a spicy garlic chili sauce and added in the lemon grass for more of an Asian flare.