Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:10
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Spang you are all that!!!!

I knew there was a reason I should've said ask Spang!!!

Spang you (and your muselieu) are the best
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 23:45

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default oh my!

Thanks koko

But most of my info is just from mendosa / new glucose revolution - just like that muesli I just am cursed with one of those brains that says "I remember - it was here!" (except when looking for my keys, that is!)

Looking back at my post, I realized that I contradicted myself with the values of low / medium / hi G Loads are. They should be:-

High above 20
Medium between 10 and 20
Low 10 and below

Spang
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default re

montignac wants us to limit our egg breakfasts, because that would be a protein, lipid meal. we are supposed to eat mainly those meals for the rest of the day, so for balance, we should have carb breakfasts. when we do have fatty breakfasts, he recommends carb dinners to balance it out.
plus i find if i have a busy day or exercise, the carb breakfast prepares me better, i feel better.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 15:36

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 168/163/140
BF:
Progress:

Hi there,
Dont know if you rememer me, Spang, but I started back in January full of hope, then I stopped losing and gained back some so I ran away and hid for a bit - with a large supply of cadbury's cream eggs to keep me company....
Can I come back please? I'm going to try again.

KoKo, I too registered with the site and I agree the meal suggestions are SO confusing! They conflicted so much with the book. Also I cannot have a large midday meal - as a busy teacher with barely 45 minutes for my luch break during which time I also have to prepare my afternoon's lessons I just dont have the time. I emailed the site to ask for help on this and recieved no reply whatsover!!!

I have been rereading the book and I think I have a better idea of what it entails but as to whether it will work for me I dont know.

Mind, I may drop off again at Easter - the lure of the cream eggs is fatal!

Lynn-Marie
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 16:03
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Welcome Back

OOOoooooohhhhh I love those Easter Cream Eggs, there is something that is even better than them - the Laura Secord Easter Egg - the middle is firmer than the cadbury's and I can't even think about them they are so good. My husband used to buy one for each of us every Easter and I would eat all mine in one day - He is such a hamster - he would keep his in the fridge (they are much bigger than a Cadbury Egg) and just cut a tiny piece for himself - (well of course I was carving off peices for MYSELF when he wasn't looking) finally I asked him to please not buy them anymore as I have absolutely no willpower where they are concerned.

I never got a reply from Montignac either I emailed re the "Cooked Cheese" question - I ended up doing a google search and also posted questions here about and got my answer. I hope I have no trouble unsubscribing - apparantley I have to hit the unsuscribe button or I will be billed another month!!!! I am going to make sure and hit that button a few days before my month is up - just to be sure.

Darn those eggs - they should be banned
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 03:14

BF:
Default Hey firstclass!

Of course I remember you, and of course you can come back!

I hear you with the creme egg problem, I got addicted to those a while ago, but my favorites were the little mini creme eggs

A normal size one was always a little too much for me, and I'd feel sick if I finished it! But a couple of those mini ones was just right!

I'm sure they are on the Montignac site meal plans - we just need ot look hard enough

well... maybe not! lol

Lynn Marie - my new favorite thing is the New Glucose Revolution - it is based on the same GI principles as Montignac, and a lot less confusing - you might want to give that a try instead.

Before anyone asks - I'm not linked to this book at all - I recieve no money or compensation from them! But maybe I should... hehehe

Spang
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:35

Plan: Montignac?
Stats: 290/290/150
BF:
Progress:

Sprag this post finally brought some clarification on some questions I had. I'm a newbie and I've been reading all this low carb stuff for 4 days now and I felt like I was still doggie paddling! One last question for you though, If we are to keep to a GI of 30 in phase 1 on MM, what is the equivalent of this in GL points? I've been wondering how we could eat all we wanted on MM of low GI's without it all adding up to be a big amount. Am I making sense? Maybe it's my old Weight Watchers thinking coming out of me.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 00:42

BF:
Default Welcome!

Welcome to the world of Low carb, LFKA!

Your question is valid, but I'm afraid it is impossible to answer.

The reason is, there is no direct connection between GI and GL values - which I know doesn't help you figure this all out.

On Montignac phase 1 when it tells you to stay below 30 GI, you should stay under GL of about 10.

On phase 2 Montiganc when it tells you to stay under 50 GI, you should stay under about GL 20.

So the trick is, finding the foods with both low GI and GL. www.mendosa.com has a good list of foods with GI and GL listings.

Now, just to complicate things a little further, personally I put more emphasis on the GL of food than GI. So I'm not really following Montiganc any more because of this.

Re your comment about eating a lot of low GI foods, just because they are low, and therefor ok for you... not really - The GI of a food won't change regards of how much you eat. This is because it is a value that a food is given relative to another food (commonly glucose) for the SAME AMOUNT of that food. So the GI value is based only on quality and not quantity. This is pretty much where Montignac finishes, and doesn't necessarily go far enough.

The Glycemic Load (GL) is a value that is based on both quality of the carbs you are eating (i.e. Glycemic index - or who your blood sugar level is raised for x grams of the food compared to x grams of glucose) AND the quantity of carbs in the serving.

So Glycemic Load = Gylcemic Index x the amount of carbs in the food.

I would recommend the "New Glucose Revolution : The Authoritative Guide to The Glycemic Index" by Jennie Brand Miller and others. This is what I follow now, and has quite simple to understand principles. This is the source of much of the information in the mendosa site I posted above.

Hope this helps!

Spang
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:13

Plan: Montignac?
Stats: 290/290/150
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for answering Spang. I've been reading the New GI Revolution Book. A lot of it does make sense although I can see where it contradicts considerably with MM. So, with NGR, if the GL given the figure for only 1 serving of the food? Can we eat more than one serving and still lose weight? i.e. pasta, watermelon, etc. Lastly, if you don't mind me asking, have you lost any more weight on NGR? Do you know anyone who has lost a considerable amount of weight this way? I have more than 100 lbs to lose. I'm not looking for the fastest way to lose the weight but a permanent way to lose it.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:08

BF:

Again, unfortunately not. I might have been a little unclear.

If you have the NGR book, I'll refer you to page 51, where it answers the question "Does the GI value increase with the serving size?" to save me typing it out.

Are you talking about just eating a huge amount of 1 food in 1 sitting that you know is low GL? Pasta - definitely not, it is relatively high GL and high GI. Watermelon... according to Montignac, no - it is really high GI, according to NGR - ok, it has high GI but low GL.

The problem with any eating plan that is based around the blood glucose level reaction, these tyoe of changes are not the same for everyone. You have to find what works for you.

I lost the majority of my weight with Montignac fairly quickly (about 30 lbs in about 3 months) and have maintained for about 9 or 10 months first using Montiganc and then I switched to NGR. The reason for my switch is I had become dissatisfied by Montignac's explanations and ratings - I believe more in the GL than the GI!

So, to answer your question, no, I don't know anyone who has lost weight on NGR. I would not know which plan to recommend over the other. Maybe give Montignac a go for about a month and see how it goes.

Montignac and NGR are based on the same principles. To me NGR is simpler to understand and far less contradictory with itself whereas Montignac seems less well written, contradicts itself, and just makes more sense.

Last edited by Spang : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 11:09.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

sorry, may be off the subject, but just few quick questions:
1) is it OK to have egg whites and either low cabr bran-a-crisp bread or slow cooked oatmeal for breakfast, meaning combining carbs and protein but no fat. or may be 0 fat yougurt or cottage cheese with the same bread or oatmeal?
2) doesn't eating fruit between meals means higher GL and GI. i check my blodd sugar after a fruit, and it is fine when i eat fruit after dinner with either nuts or some cheese but fruit alone spikes my blood sugar much higher. also, fruit for desert is fine blood sugar wise.
3) is food combining really important on Montignac or may be not so restrictive.
thanks,
dina
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 23:42

BF:

1) sounds fine to me, but probably not strict Montignac. Why just egg whites (just curious).
2) when you eat anything has no impact on GI or GL. They are scientific measurements. Although certain people react differently to different foods (which is hwy GI / GL can be tricky)
3) never bothered with the food combining when i was on Montiganc (and i did it for a good 6 months, lost all my weight, now adhere to GI / GL principles only).
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 23:43

BF:

btw - where in SF are you?! I'm in SF too! At last - a local here for me!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Hi Spang:
I'm in Richmond district, outer part, across the Ocean Beach. You are probably in downtown, consider your trips to Rainbow store.
i do more often farmer's market and trader joe's. i can stick to low GI but GL combined is too tricky. anyway, talk to you later, PM me if you want to talk about local stuff.
Thanks a lot,
Dina