Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 08:10

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Paleo?

I'm making another go at AIP and would love to connect to other low-carbers who are doing it or investigating it.

I did 60 days last year and then rushed through reintroductions - I found one intolerance and suspect I'm also intolerant to eggs.

I don't have an autoimmune disease (although I did have an early-stage cancer in my past, and for some that qualifies). I'm most doing the protocol to re-challenge, correctly, the reintroductions.

I'm following The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne PhD (ThePaleoMom.com)

I've also dappled in Wahls, so anyone following that should say hi too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 08:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good luck with the re-introductions again. I forgot what she recommends, but Kresser is three days with one new food (not food group) and then wait three days... In which case that is a very loooong time, no wonder you rushed through. Have you read about Sarah B this week being diagnosed with Hashimoto's? She is very active, multiple posts per day, on her FB page, which now has an incredible number of followers.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 02:50

BF:

Hi Janet - yes, interesting about Sarah Ballantyne, I do follow her on Facebook. I'm guessing that this will pull her back to full AIP, her own eating had evolved quite a bit from that, so it should help continue to increase resources (I have both of her books already).

I think I'm going to do the 1 food 3x a day, wait 3 days approach for reintros but still have another month or so before I need to cross that bridge! Actually what I think will drive the timeline is the list of foods I want to reintro, and the time I have before I travel to the U.S. for the summer. I'm pretty sure I can stay gluten & dairy free all summer, but AIP while in the road & out and about is almost unimaginable... (But for sure would be easier in Denver than in Paris - at least there is Whole Foods & a few salad-bar restaurants, and one or two paleo joints have opened up )
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 20:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

ParisMama - I shall be watching this thread. I have lichen planopilaris, which causes hair loss, and destruction of follicles. I've been taking medication for this for several years - and all I can positively say about it is that perhaps it would be worse without the pills! I read a bit about autoimmune disorders early on - and quickly dismissed the idea. Nobody seemed to know for sure if this was, or not, and it seemed far too difficult, and my doctor had given me pills, after all. Of course, I haven't had much faith that doctors know anything about nutrition for a long time ... but Denial is a strong force, and I was willing to believe in this case. Something clicked though this morning when I read your post. I think I am ready to consider this. I'm not yet ready to implement it, for a number of reasons, but I have downloaded Sarah Ballentyne's book to my kindle, and will be doing a lot of reading. I am leaving, in a month, for a month away from home; even staying low carb will be chancy, I don't want to worry about sticking to a strict AI protocol. However, when I get home, my husband will be leaving for a trip of his own (I know - weird family dynamics; good reasons, but unimportant here), so I will have a couple of weeks to see if i can get a start on the protocol. I look forward to reading about your successes, and those of others.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 04:48

Well, Sarah is definitely the person for advice with that, wishing you Good health on an AIP as best you can while travelling.
Here is her summary post on her Lichen Planus (read that planopilaris is a variant of same) and treatments she tried. And she mentions it often within other posts on her website, and in her book. The book is heavy-going in parts, but excellent explanations of complex bio-chemistry. I had to read it in small chucks, let's just say it does "not read like a novel" http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/...eat-lichen.html
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
ParisMama - I shall be watching this thread. I have lichen planopilaris, which causes hair loss, and destruction of follicles. I've been taking medication for this for several years - and all I can positively say about it is that perhaps it would be worse without the pills! I read a bit about autoimmune disorders early on - and quickly dismissed the idea. Nobody seemed to know for sure if this was, or not, and it seemed far too difficult, and my doctor had given me pills, after all. Of course, I haven't had much faith that doctors know anything about nutrition for a long time ... but Denial is a strong force, and I was willing to believe in this case. Something clicked though this morning when I read your post. I think I am ready to consider this. I'm not yet ready to implement it, for a number of reasons, but I have downloaded Sarah Ballentyne's book to my kindle, and will be doing a lot of reading. I am leaving, in a month, for a month away from home; even staying low carb will be chancy, I don't want to worry about sticking to a strict AI protocol. However, when I get home, my husband will be leaving for a trip of his own (I know - weird family dynamics; good reasons, but unimportant here), so I will have a couple of weeks to see if i can get a start on the protocol. I look forward to reading about your successes, and those of others.

Her book is a great reference, but I agree with Janet, not easy reading. Complex, detailed, science-y (and I had no trouble with Gary Taubes, I find him fascinating, but she lost my interest a few times...) Plus, the book is really lousy in Kindle and much better in print. I started with Kindle and finally caved and bought the hard copy. But in fact the Cookbook is maybe better, it has a whole front section that explains the diet quite well, just not all the science behind it, and it's much more digestable.

I'm pretty good about reporting in to my own journal weekly, so to see how I'm doing you can always follow that - I'll try to post here but not sure I'll remember...

There are some good groups on FB around AIP and autoimmune conditions, you could likely find a tribe with your diagnosis.

Wise move to put off AIP until life is more settled.

I stumbled into it kinda blind last year (in support of a friend) - I had been "primal" for quite a while and had already decided to do a dairy-free trial, but AIP is much harder than just that. Basically so many restrictions that you're forced to eat almost everything at home & made from scratch. You can eat out, but it's not easy to be really 100% AIP and do it (oils, cross-contamination, etc).

The biggest factor that I hadn't taken into account was how long it takes (and that's why I'm doing it now) - not only do you have the full elimination period (minimum 30 days but really for an AI disease ideally until healed) then the re-introduction phase takes, literally, months. That's where I messed up in the Spring - I had a long-planned romantic trip centered around food and didn't have time for all the reintroductions so I had a few suspected reactions that were all messy trials. Intriguing enough, however, that I am willing to do another 6 of so months of AIP (and likely spend almost all of 2015 dairy and gluten free because of it!). I'm just really interested to learn more about my body and these subtle reactions it might have to nightshades, eggs, nuts & seeds (my suspected list - who knows what I'll really find...)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 09:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My daughter has self identified some of her own intolerances to certain foods.
She has a natural distaste for them.
About eggs, she can eat the yolk but not the egg whites.
She cannot eat any tree nuts but she can eat peanuts.
She cannot any farm raised shrimp because of the chemicals it is treated with but she can eat wild caught. If she eats farm raised by mistake she immediately becomes extremely flushed in her face/cheeks. Beer makes her extremely flushed.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 16:57

BF:

Janet - thanks for the link; I'll take a look at it. I had read that Sarah B. had lichen planus, so thought she might have some advice that would apply to me.
I may yet decide to get the paper book, but for the trip having it on kindle will make it easier.
One problem that I have with any sort of elimination diet is that I don't think I have any allergy or intolerance to foods of any sort (I may find out differently), so I don't have any built in incentive to leave certain things "off the plate". I am already eating probably 80/20 Primal, and haven't eaten more than a few bites of wheat or sugar in more than 2 years, and very few other grains. Dairy will be hard to give up, and eggs even harder as I have a little flock of mini dinosaurs in the back yard that keep me more or less well supplied (less so now; more so as the days get longer and warmer) With DH gone for 2 weeks in March I'll have a bit of run in time to see if I can at least make a start. The hardest part, I think, will be once he gets home because he really enjoys eating out.
Anyway, I look forward to reading of others' journeys down this road.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 23:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Verbena,

You can always, in theory, sell your mini-dinosaur's eggs. In my area, pastured eggs go for $6–7/dozen, depending on the source and the feed.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 01:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Verbena,

You can always, in theory, sell your mini-dinosaur's eggs. In my area, pastured eggs go for $6–7/dozen, depending on the source and the feed.

And I do! My flock is quite small - 10 girls at present, about 6-7 eggs a day at the high season. I have several neighbours who appreciate the fact that there are fresh eggs for sale nearby, but I can't always guarantee that I have what they want. The nearest neighbours get their eggs for free - they have to listen to the rooster early in the morning LOL. They don't take advantage, but they do get first priority. My"egg business" is a hobby, and I am not trying for a profit. Providing fresh, pastured eggs to my family, friends, and neighbours is my priority. But, because they are there, and because they are so delicious, they are a mainstay of the family's diet, and it will be hard to abstain during an elimination diet. I could easily (I think) not buy them; it's harder to abstain when the Girls lay them, in a manner of speaking, right next to the frying pan.
Really? $6-7/dozen? I have recently upped my price to $3.50, though I have seen other local eggs going for $4/dozen. Of course, we are all probably short changing ourselves, as the supermarket "organic, free range, etc" eggs are closer to $5/dozen ... and my Girls do better work, under better working conditions.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 08:44

Free guide download. How to Reintroduce Foods on the AIP.
Here's the explanation why she posted it and the .pdf.
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2015/02/...e-download.html
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 15:46

BF:

Thanks for the link - it's a better version (more visually laid out) of what she has in her book. ... And it reminds me I need to get going on writing out my reintro schedule - I know I have at least another week of full AIP but I need to calculate backwards to know when I need to start the various reintroductions.