Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 09:24

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome to the forums, Bruce. Sounds like you're having a good riding year - excellent! I'd like to try the MS150 but haven't had the time to commit to it as of yet. Looks like fun, though. This year I did the aforementioned 50-mile ride and then, several weeks ago, did a "moonlight ride" with my g/f in downtown Denver; it was a lot of fun.

As for joining a club, I've considered it but right now just enjoy going on my own, with my g/f or some other cycling friends I have. I may still join one for next season, however - will have to see.

So - when you ride - do you add any carbs? I've tried both ways and, on longer rides (50-miles and more), I do think adding some carbs is important. I've bonked twice in two years and it wasn't fun. Now I usually take some Accelerade with me on those rides and have yet to experience any issues. Of course, as you suggested, proper hydration is still of #1 import...
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 11:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've gone 50 miles without anything but water and electrolyes. I've gone 70 miles with only some nuts added as an energy source.

The only times that I have bonked were in my high carb days.
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/145.5/140 Male 66 in
BF:11
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsBeGon
Welcome to the forums, Bruce. Sounds like you're having a good riding year - excellent! I'd like to try the MS150 but haven't had the time to commit to it as of yet.

It's really what got me started biking. A guy I was teaching Sunday School with nagged me to do it with him, and finally I did. I thought of doing it for the ride, but that first day out, I met some MS patients who were thanking me for doing nothing more than enjoying a day on a bike! So this is my 3rd year, and I do it to raise funds for cure research and patient care.

[/QUOTE]So - when you ride - do you add any carbs? I've tried both ways and, on longer rides (50-miles and more), I do think adding some carbs is important. I've bonked twice in two years and it wasn't fun. .[/QUOTE]

I try to get by with as few as possible, but while I am out on the road I will eat a Power Bar, or some other complex carb food. I stay away from cookies and snack bars. "Gorp" is good too, a mix of peanuts, raisins and M&Ms. I drink Propel (6 carbs per 1/2 liter), or the new Powerade Options.
  #184   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 10:18

Stats: 202/173/175 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I think I'll join in and say hello fellow cyclists. I've been lowish carbing for a couple of years and met my goal weight (about a 30 lb. loss) about a year ago.
I have been cycling for about 5 years now and usually get in between 150 and 200 miles per week (mostly on my roadie).

I have done a couple centuries and to answer a question, I usually bring along a Clif Bar or two for those rides. Generally, anything over 50 miles I'll bring something a bit carby. I have also had a bonk or two and they are certainly no fun at all. I normally only bring water to drink though....thats probably more of a personal preference though.

With winter coming on, I'd be curious to hear what you guys use when it's too cold to ride. I used to go to the Y and use a stationary, but I'm looking at getting some rollers or a trainer or both this year.
  #185   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 10:34

BF:

I use rollers and love them! Not only do you get a decent workout, it really improves your balance, pedal stroke and concentration on the bike. I was amazed at how well this translated to the road - my pedal stroke was much more efficient and I could ride without hands on the handlebars!

Mine came from Performance - these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop...ategory_ID=4121 and they work great. The only challenge I've had is with setting them up - they have to be on hard ground (wood floor, tile, concrete, etc.). If you put them on carpet - even low pile - or a rubber mat, the rear roller will most likely sink in and won't move.

I plan to ride my rollers on the deck of my apartment this winter (should give the neighbors a good laugh, anyway) or perhaps my garage. I'm also considering a month-to-month membership at my local 24-Hour Fitness to do some lifting and take a spinning class. That and one of the nice things about living in Colorado is, even during the dead of winter, it's not always snowy and cold; some days it's sunny with temps in the 60s!
  #186   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 11:01

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 212/180/155 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Rollers and food

I'm just starting back to a low carb diet. I tried just eating "balanced" for the last year - and I've biked 5000 miles and not lost a pound. (I need to lose about 30) When I was lcing a year ago I would rarely eat anything more than a power bar and a bottle of gatorade (lots of water) on a century ride. I'll be getting back to that for the winter.

I live in THE GREAT WHITE NORTH, so we get lots of cold and snow. (Though, like Denver, we have lots of days during the winter with nice weather and clear roads.) I do, however, ride indoors a fair bit. Rollers are great, and I use them alot. You CAN ride them on carpet if you make a little adjustment - I grab 4 of my kids little books and prop them under the feet on each corner. This lifts the rollers high enough that they don't burn your carpet (I did that once... my wife was NOT pleased - I couldn't figure out where the extra resistance was coming from!)

I also will be using a rear wheel trainer more this winter. There are some work-outs that you just can't do on rollers.

BTW, you'll know you've improved your balance when you can ride with no hands on your rollers! This is a feat I learned last winter.
  #187   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 11:13

Plan: Generic
Stats: 230/158.5/155 Male 71 inches
BF:32%/13%/10%
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01
BTW, you'll know you've improved your balance when you can ride with no hands on your rollers! This is a feat I learned last winter.

Ooooh, I learned how to do that last winter, too! Now I need to work on standing pedalling on the rollers
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLC
Now I need to work on standing pedalling on the rollers

LOL - yeah, let me know how that goes!

Hey, Zen - you Dodger and I ought to get together someday for a ride - seeing as we're all in the Denver area. Where do you typically ride? What distances, what's your average speed, etc.?

I'm down South in Littleton - typically ride on the C-470 or Platte River Trail. I also ride around Chatfield quite a bit. My usual ride is about 25-30 miles at an average speed of 15-17MPH - depending on the day.
  #189   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 12:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I live in Longmont. My normal ride is to Lyons, then up Apple Valley and back. It's 32 miles at 15 to 17 MPH average depending upon the weather and how I feel.
  #190   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucabrasi
I think I'll join in and say hello fellow cyclists. I've been lowish carbing for a couple of years and met my goal weight (about a 30 lb. loss) about a year ago.
I have been cycling for about 5 years now and usually get in between 150 and 200 miles per week (mostly on my roadie).

I'm glad to see other cycle people here! I immediatley throught of Mario Puzo's books when I saw your name

With winter coming on, I'd be curious to hear what you guys use when it's too cold to ride. I used to go to the Y and use a stationary, but I'm looking at getting some rollers or a trainer or both this year.

I ride down to about 20 degrees. Below that, the cold air hurts my windpipe when big gulps come in. Cold weather pants have a thin, scuba suit like, front and I layer my torso, NO cotton anywhere. A windproof thin shell, with long sleeve polypro undershirt and maybe a thin wool sweater underneath. Zipper openings provide heat control. A balaclava on the head, and Pearl Izumi mitten-gloves, and shoe covers. Double socks too.
  #191   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 06:50

Quote:
Hey, Zen - you Dodger and I ought to get together someday for a ride - seeing as we're all in the Denver area. Where do you typically ride? What distances, what's your average speed, etc.?.

Hi CarbsBeGone & Dodger!

I live in Broomfield and work in Boulder. My typical ride during the week is 20 to 25 miles around the Boulder area and can average from ~12-14mph if I'm doing steep to 16-18mph on the "flats." On weekends I try to do a long ride of 65 to 100 miles.

I'm always looking for riding partners and would especially love to hook up with Low-Carbing riders. Feel free to send me a note at zenlc2000 at gmail.com and we can ride sometime!
  #192   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 18:56

OK gang, tomorrow I head down to Perdido Beach, AL for the MS 150. How many extra carbs to eat, etc? Will my glygogen deprived legs carry me into the predicted 17 mph head winds from Lovely Rita, Hurricane Meter Maid? What about the rain showers and the odd T-Storm? Well, please pray, cross your fingers, etc for me. I'm down 7 lbs in the past 8 days, so there's that much less to lug around south Alabama anyway. My new Bike Journal.com jersey came today, which will be worn 1 day of the tour, whiel the official jersey will be worn the other. A Kestral fork came today too (via Ebay, of course) but no time to get it on the bike for this ride.
  #193   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 18:58

BF:

Hey, good luck, Bruce! Be safe and give us a ride report. As for carbs - let us know what you decide on that too - and let us know if you bonk! Just kidding.

ZenLC - I will send you an e-mail in the near future - would love to ride...
  #194   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 19:18

Quote:
Hey, good luck, Bruce! Be safe and give us a ride report. As for carbs - let us know what you decide on that too - and let us know if you bonk! Just kidding.

I'd very much like that! Let's see what we can coordinate. Thanks for the good vibes. "Gotta keep those love good vibrations a happenin..." (imagine music)
  #195   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 19:21

Quote:

My little club "Club Hypoxia" is having a social ride this Sunday. 55 miles starting from the REI Flagship store downtown Denver. You're welcome to come and meet the group!