Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/182/150 Female 5ft 5
BF:
Progress:
Default What will happen? Advice information

I have been very good on my low carb diet since 27 th June max 15 carbs per day And less than 1400 calories and so far lost 10pounds
But to day I let my self down badly I ate chicken broth and cabbage soup half bowl and half a slice of chocolate fudge cake and a skimmed latte question is will this throw me completely out of Keto ? What do I do I feel panicked
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:10

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

I would say not to panic, just go back to eating On Plan foods.
You might have a bit of keto flu (milder) because of the cake, but you have done low carb long enough that you can rebound without much damage. A very occasional slip up seems to be less problematic after you are fully fat-adapted, so several solid weeks of LCHF will have you feeling tip-top. IMHO.

Teresa

Last edited by DancinGurl : Thu, Jul-12-18 at 04:05. Reason: correction
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

No need to panic.

Eat OP asap, like your next meal.

Expect some water weight gain, but keep OP and it will drop off again in several days.

Learn from this. what happened? Did you purposely chose to eat the cake? Or did you find yourself in a position that tempted you? There is no right or wrong here-- It is aobut understanding what problems you will encounter and how to deal with it the next time. Because I can assure you, it will happen again.

You are doing great-- get back on the horse!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 00:54

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The response to this sort of thing will vary from person to person.

For me, whenever I had a little naughty for lunch, I noticed it on the scales straight away. I was weighing twice daily at that point, and my weight loss stopped immediately, and didn't resume again for about 3 days. Beyond that though, things carried on again from where they left off.

You may even rebound, or you may notice nothing at all. Either way, the best thing you can do as others have already said, is not to panic, just move on and stick to the plan.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 08:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good advice in all responses. This situation has happened with most of us. It will not derail you to the degree you think. Getting into ketosis is not that fragile and temporary. However, initially your metabolism has to adapt, and it can "go in and out" occasionally. Over time, your metabolism will become adapted, and you'll find it easier to stay in ketosis even with a few indiscretions when eating carbs. Staying consistent over time protects you when diet variations occur.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 12:02

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

What Grav and everybody else said. For me, for some reason, going off-plan tends to result in apparent weight gain after about 36 hrs. Then it takes a couple of days of being back on-plan for that weight to drop back off.

The first thing to do is get back on-plan instantly and be extra vigilant about staying there for the next several days. Do NOT LISTEN when the carb-demon perches on your shoulder and starts whispering in your ear that, "since you've gone off-plan already, you might just as well have a candy bar or a bag of cheetos or whatever.

Do NOT think that one slip up makes you a failure. We all do it. Success is about having more successes that goofs-ups. You are still WAY ahead of the game! Right?

You are going to be fine. No need to panic. Just recommit to the program and continue to string one good day after another. We're rooting for you.