Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 16:27
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default seafood chowder

I don't know if there are other recipes on here for this but, this is what I had for lunch today. Since it is so close to payday, I had to make do with what was available otherwise I would have used regular bacon for better flavour. Wonderful! I wasn't sure about cauliflower even though I love it, but the fish permeates everything and the cauliflower really does just replace the potato.

1T butter
1T finely chopped onion
1T finely chopped celery
1 slice Canadian bacon, small dice
1c chopped cauliflower (about 1/2" dice)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste
1/4 cup organic very low sodium chicken broth
3-6 ounces seafood
2T whipping cream

Saute onion, celery and bacon in butter in saucepan. When onion is translucent and bacon slightly browned, add 6 or so ounces of water and the cup of cauliflower, thyme and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 5 minutes until cauliflower is just soft. Add cut up fish and whipping cream and cook about another 3-4 minutes. Serves one. Delicious.

I don't have access to nor would I probably use carb free thickeners so the little bits from chopping the cauliflower were the only thickener. You can use whatever fish you want, but when you count the carbs remember that some shellfish have carbs.

1 c Cauliflower 5.3 g
1 T onion 1
1T celery .2
2 Tcream .8
1/4 t thyme .1
1/4 pepper .2
canadian bacon .6
1/4 c chicken broth .5
butter 0
most fish 0

total 8.7
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 17:31

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Sounds yummy!

I make different chowders all the time depending on what is in the cupboard. I had a clam chowder with flounder and sword fish and a coconut milk base for lunch

I use Old Bay seasoning and a splash of balsamic vinegar to give it a good base when I don't have bacon on hand.