Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 01:19

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Baba Ganoush

Baba Ganoush has to be one of my all time favorite snacks. This is the only way I like to eat eggplant. The oils are wonderful and it just gives you a wonderful feeling inside. If you are on induction use it on veggies, but if you can afford a few carbs quarter a low-carb wrap or pita loaf, and brush olive oil on it, and toast it in the oven for a few minutes. You will never feel like you are reducing carbs with this snack.

Baba Ganoush

One Large Eggplant
3 Tbsp Tahini (I use roasted or raw, with no fillers or sugars)
3 Tbsp Plain Yogurt (Good quality with no starch or other thickeners)
½ cup virgin olive oil plus some to rub on egg plant
½ onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsps Chopped Fresh Parsley or Cilantro
1 tbsp Cumin
¼ virgin olive oil plus some to rub on egg plant
¼ tsp Cajun seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

Spilt the egg plant down the middle and rub olive oil on the open meat area, then place it meat side down on a BBQ for about 10-15 min on a medium hot coals. You want it to be mushy on the inside and black on the outside. You can also do this in the oven at about 450 degrees for a few minutes as well, but the taste is not as smoky as using a BBQ.

Scoop all the mushy flesh out of the purple skin and place in a blend or flood processor. It’s ok to include any charred part of the flesh. Discard the purple skin. Put everything else except olive oil and salt and pepper in the processor and turn on the processor. Slowly add the olive oil in a little at a time, then process the entire mixture until you have a smooth consistency. Adjust taste with salt and pepper and more Cajun spice.

This yields about four cups of Baba Ganoush. One serving is about ½ cup. There are 7 carbs total in a ½ cup with 3 fiber grams, giving you a net carb count of 4 carbs. Add the low carb pita which is 7 carbs and you have a great lunch for under 12 carbs! I often will have this with a cup of broth when I am tired of the meat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 00:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Thanks! I love baba ganoush - looks like a great recipe.
Sid
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 15:31

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

I realized after posting this I included the oil measurement twice. I use about 1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil total in the recipe. It depends on how large the egg plant is, if its really huge I go for 1/2 cup, if smaller I use 1/4 cup. Sorry for the mistake. But if you find while blending things look a little difficult to blend add a bit more olive oil.