Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-18, 13:51

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Compositi

Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Composition and Calories

http://forum.lowcarber.org/newthrea...o=newthread&f=4

This research supports one meal per day and the following article.

Prolonged Nightly Fasting and Breast Cancer Prognosis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4982776/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-18, 14:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Composition and Calories

hi there,

I think you meant to add a different link?? Please correct, thanks
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-18, 17:42

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr

[edit wrong link]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolis...secsectitle0010

The duration of eating/fasting varies based on diet type and feeding protocol
Meal feeding and CR, unlike AL, show high metabolic flexibility in male mice
Eating patterns rather than diet composition influence longevity regulation
A prolonged daily fasting is associated with delayed onset of liver pathologies
Summary
The importance of dietary composition and feeding patterns in aging remains largely unexplored, but was implicated recently in two prominent nonhuman primate studies. Here, we directly compare in mice the two diets used in the primate studies focusing on three paradigms: ad libitum (AL), 30% calorie restriction (CR), and single-meal feeding (MF), which accounts for differences in energy density and caloric intake consumed by the AL mice. MF and CR regimes enhanced longevity regardless of diet composition, which alone had no significant impact within feeding regimens. Like CR animals, MF mice ate quickly, imposing periods of extended daily fasting on themselves that produced significant improvements in morbidity and mortality compared with AL. These health and survival benefits conferred by periods of extended daily fasting, independent of dietary composition, have major implications for human health and clinical applicability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This above research supports one meal per day and the following research article[in statistic].

Prolonged Nightly Fasting and Breast Cancer Prognosis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4982776/

[edit add another new research]

Researchers Identify Molecule With Anti-Aging Effects On Vascular System

https://news.gsu.edu/2018/09/10/res...em-study-finds/

A molecule produced during fasting or calorie restriction has anti-aging effects on the vascular system, which could reduce the occurrence and severity of human diseases related to blood vessels, such as cardiovascular disease, according to a study led by Georgia State University.

I am really excited that more new researches proving we are on the right track all along.(at least I am.)

Last edited by locarb4avr : Tue, Sep-11-18 at 17:54.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-18, 18:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I am, too!!!!!

The cancer link is blocked for me. Will try laptop later. DEFINITELY want to read the cancer connection.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-18, 19:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Opened it !!!

Quote:
Rodent studies demonstrate that prolonged fasting during the sleep phase positively influences carcinogenesis and metabolic processes that are putatively associated with risk and prognosis of breast cancer. To our knowledge, no studies in humans have examined nightly fasting duration and cancer outcomes.

Reading the human study now!!!

Quote:
Prolonging the length of the nightly fasting interval may be a dietary strategy to reduce risk of breast cancer recurrence in women.

The break point was set at 13 hours fast. With a 36% recurrence with less than 13 hours.

I did not understand the implication of A1c, C-reactive protein, and sleep--if anyone can translate the study for me.

I would like to understand is it realy the IF, the duration of sleep, of is it the Aic?

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Sep-11-18 at 20:08.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 05:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I did not understand the implication of A1c, C-reactive protein, and sleep--if anyone can translate the study for me.

These are all considered risk factors. It's hard to separate out something like this, because they all affect each other. Poor sleep habits can raise blood glucose and inflammation, elevated glucose can have inflammatory effects, inflammation can increase blood glucose.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 08:29

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Because it's a correlational study, based off a limited number of food recall and sleep studies, by its design it can only determine associations and not causation.