Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 11:51

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hello, bevangel. I'm delighted that I clicked on your refreshed post. What a great story you have to tell. I hope you and your husband continue to enjoy the benefits of your "accidental" low-carb lifestyle. Clearly you are a conscientious healthy person, and it sounds like you've found the right path at last. Please keep us up-to-date.

Although my low-carb journey has had its ups and downs (currently up), I'm convinced that it's the best for me for the long term. I've had success with every diet there is. I hate calorie counting worse than anything. So carb-counting (basically no sugar, no starch) keeps it simple. It is a kind of religion though and Dr. Atkins is my patron saint.

I've read a ton of low-carb books. Taubes Why We Get Fat is one of my favorites. Just in case you want some science back-up.

Best wishes.

Last edited by bkloots : Wed, Sep-10-14 at 11:57.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 12:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Congratulations on 50 pounds lost! That is terrific progress. You are nearly 1/2 way to your goal! Thanks for posting your update. I enjoyed reading it. I'm having great success with this way of eating as well - and I've found the info and collective knowledge on this site to be incredibly helpful. Have you been to the Doctor yet? I'm wondering what the response will be (if it is the same doctor that pushed "low fat"). They won't be able to argue with the results.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 14:33

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Wonderful story. It makes me want to spit though, that nutritionists haven't figured out this "test your BG" after eating thing.

If you haven't read, "the Big Fat Surprise" yet, it's a really good read. The book explains so much, especially why you ate the way you have.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 15:01

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hello Bevangel,

Welcome to the forum. I know this is an old thread, but I didn't get the opportunity to welcome you before. I too discovered how this WOE is so beneficial to ones health. I just went to my doc yesterday and I am now med free because of this diet, err WOE. Of course in order for me to remain off meds will be for me to stay LC.

Congrats on you and yours success.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 15:33

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

For someone that hasn't even read one of the low carb "diet" books, you have done incredibly well! You have also managed to stumble upon this forum, which is a wealth of information. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The members here are very kind and supportive. The answers aren't always what we want to hear, but they are what we need to hear to be successful. It sounds like you have it figured out, and have the 50 pound loss to prove it! I fully agree that low carb is the ONLY way to stop the hunger monster that demanded food all day every day. That burden being lifted is reason enough to stick with this way of eating. It is also amazing how many delicious meals you can make that are low carb. If you haven't signed up with the internet site "Pinterest", you should really consider doing so. It is a tad confusing at first, but there are thousands of low carb recipes available to add variety to your meals. You can simply use the search bar to search "low carb" and find more recipes than you can dream of. If you search my name "Kendra Honea", I have several hundred organized and ripe for the pickin's! I am so glad that you are finding your way back to health and wellness. Most of us didn't find low carb until we were in questionable shape as well. Best of luck to you and your husband!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 16:03

Plan: lchf + if
Stats: 230/169/130 Female 5' 5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Wow, bevangel, I am delighted to read your story. It is wonderfully affirming for this "WOE".
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 20:36

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Thanks Kendra. I have been perusing the recipe threads since finding this forum. Mostly searching for things I can fix when we have company that EXPECTS carbs (or a carb substitute) on the place. I'm pretty creative with sauces and things and now that I get to use BUTTER and cheese and other favorite yummy ingredients, I feel like I have a whole lot more options than ever! Besides which, now that we don't feel guilty about eating red meat, DH has decided that barbecue is his new "thing" so he has been doing a bigger share of the cooking.

The only food DH has mentioned missing is pizza (which, due to the high fat content of cheese, we only ate on rare occasions back when we were still trying to eat according the AMA food pyramid.) . I found a marvelous recipe on the web for a pizza shell made with a mixture of riced cauliflower (microwave it then squeeze as much water out as possible to get a dough like consistency), almond flour, and cheese. The shell didn't turn out quite as crispy as I would have liked but it was certainly passable. I've eaten droopier real pizza shells. LOL! And since I was able to load the top with cheese and pepperoni and sausage and bacon and green olives instead of scrimping on the toppings, DH was MORE than satisfied. Only problem was, it took me forever to prepare. So pizza will probably remain an "occasional" treat.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
It used to be that brown rice was a staple in our diet... as in I cooked rice for dinner practically every night and we ate it without any butter or oils of any kind added. When we didn't have rice, we had whole grain pastas with tomato based, again without any added fats. Breakfast was always either oatmeal or Kashi granola cereal plus fruit and skim milk. We also ate lots of whole grain breads. (I don't even particularly LIKE rice, pasta, bread or cereal but, the food pyramid said one had to have 6 to 11 servings per day so....) Sandwiches were made with only the leanest deli meats and the skinniest possible slices of cheese. I banished mayonnaise despite the fact that I've never much cared for mustard. For dinner we stuck with grilled fish or grilled chicken breast 90% of the time... and I carefully stripped off the skin and all surface fat from the chicken before cooking it. I never fried anything. Except for hamburger, beef and pork were 2 to 3 times a month treats. And before falling in this "low carb" way of eating, I hadn't tasted real butter or full fat cream in years. I bought only skim milk and "low fat" and "heart healthy" everything. I never brought any cookies, candies, cakes, pies, crackers or other "junk food" into the house unless we were having company. We gave up ice cream years ago in favor of non-fat frozen fruit bars. Well, you get the idea.

Talk about pure misery.

This is a great outcome, keep up the good work!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 02:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thank you so much posting this update of your success and continued journey to good health! Pizza does seem to be the item people miss most, you will literally find thousands of versions on the internet if you search for either low carb or Paleo pizza. So many pizzas, so little time Even though it's not a holdable crust, try Dan's Pizza Quiche, a big recipe and yummy reheated. A 12 yo classic:http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087
I often made a simplified version of Peggy's skillet pizza, quick and easy so I could have that pizza flavor anytime: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...-skillet-pizza/

Hope you will continue to update your progress, sounds like you had a great summer.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 03:02
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Welcome, bevangel!! Wow what a wonderful story and I love how you accidently fell into this wondrous, life-changing LC WOE!

I agree 100% that this works! For me personally, this is my definition of carbs:
"Addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killers" because they kill the best parts of me: my good health, happiness and self-esteem and since I am a recovering morbidly obese carb addict, I avoid most of them at all cost.

My DBF lost weight too (almost 30 lbs) but not intentionally, I call it collateral dieting because I stopped serving all those toxic carbs. My little chug (10 lb Chihuahua/pug mix? rescue dog) lost 2 lbs because he wasn't getting the carb-y table scraps either!!

Wishing you and your DH continued success on your LC journey!

Jo
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 04:43

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Bevangel - I eat "pizza" at least 3 times a week. I have discovered that I don't need a crust at all. I use a coated paper plate (like Dixie), smear a tablespoon or two of low carb marinara directly on the plate, top with cheese, add desired toppings, microwave for approximately one minute. Eat with a plastic spoon, and dishes are completely disposable! I still get all of the wonderful pizza flavors minus the effort involved to create a crust. Sometimes I shake a bit of basil flakes or garlic powder on the cheese.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd did
Bevangel - I eat "pizza" at least 3 times a week. I have discovered that I don't need a crust at all. I use a coated paper plate (like Dixie), smear a tablespoon or two of low carb marinara directly on the plate, top with cheese, add desired toppings, microwave for approximately one minute. Eat with a plastic spoon, and dishes are completely disposable! I still get all of the wonderful pizza flavors minus the effort involved to create a crust. Sometimes I shake a bit of basil flakes or garlic powder on the cheese.

That is a good idea, the key is the slippery coating on the plate. Without it, the plate becomes greasy & the cheese sticks to it. When you try to rip the cheese off, a little of the plate's paper sticks to it.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-14, 08:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

.........Fiber
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-14, 12:02

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I often made a simplified version of Peggy's skillet pizza, quick and easy so I could have that pizza flavor anytime: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...-skillet-pizza/

I have been hunting for this link for 4 days. Finally found it. I'm going to modify it a bit by using pepperoni as a bottom crust.