Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 06:38
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Question Meals - what does anyone think of these

Started a new thread here thinking that we could list our meals for others to check and comment on. I notice that not everyone here has a journal so this might be easy way if someone(me )needs advice on the legality of meal choices.

1321 calories - 29%fat 43%carb 28%protein

28fibre, 40fat 162carbs 85protein

Before Breakfast - 3 figs
Breakfast................Oatmeal -(2x what box counts as 1 serving),yogurt .5 cup

Lunch .....................Sardines in hot sauce, soup minus-carrot/corn, 5 cherry tomatoes

Supper ....................Chow Mein -homemade -scallops,peppers,beansprouts,grn onions,celery,egg noodles, (soy,fish sauce, little cornstarch for sauce)

Questions I have about the above meals are - the figs I thought they would be allright but when I tallied it up on FitDay they really upped the carb content. They taste so sweet yet are apparently low on the GI - so are they legal or not in phase 1

I think the egg noodles were ok -

The cornstarch I could find no listing for - but in a quick flip through of some of the recipes in one of the books I found a recipe that used 1 tablesopoon of it so I assumed that a a bit used in the sauce would be ok.

Been awake for quite some time now by now so I've had some grapes and am planning a protein lipid breakfast. (omlette with ff cheese and mushrooms)

Confused as to whether I can have SF FF fruit yogurt with it.
Book lists - plain yogurt as being acceptable with protein lipid. Is this just another little blip in book or is there a valid reason to not have a fruit yogurt. was thinking maybe the fruit yogurt was too carby to mix with the protein????

Last edited by KoKo : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 14:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 14:44
Stepford Malfunction

Having had a bit of time to look more closely at my new book. Can see whats wrong with some of the above. I had looked at the Gload of Dried Figs (16 instead of the GI - 61 )

Green Grapes are GI46/ GL8 so they would be a bit over the 35 limit set for phase 1.

This confuses me bit - I have seen the low level set between 35-50. Does anyone know if it is?

1. Low is GI 35 and below
or
2. Low is 50 and below

1 more question - what about GI and Gload - I have been looking at the GI is this correct? Its always the higher of the 2 numbers.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:26

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

As far as the lows for GI are concerned - there are probably a few things in play here.

1st of all - not all books or theories, measure the GI in the same way.

GI is a comparative index of foods, so it all depends on what you are comparing the food too!

I've seen GI's based on both sugar where 1 serving of pure glucose = 100 GI and white bread - 1 serving of white bread = 100 GI. Obviously pure glucose does not equal the same as white bread! Trust me, this took a while for me to figure out!

2nd - as you've probably found looking at the New Glucose Revolution book - GI's for 1 type of food are rather inaccurate if based on 1 reading, rather than an average of several readings from 1 person.

3rd - and to answer your 1st question - The lower GI level you set yourself, the more strict you are being with the "good" foods to eat, and therefore the more rapid your weight loss will probably be. I started with Phase 1 Montiganc aiming for 35 GI at meals, and am on phase 2 now (well... sort of) aiming for 50 GI. That may be where you got those numbers from.

So - either of these could explain the variation in what is considered the correct GI level to aim for.

To answer the second part of your question, GI is the "traditional" way gauge the correct foods via the MM. However, the current opinion (of me! - but also the New Glucose book, and to a limited extent, Montiganc as well) - says that the really important figure to look at is actually the Glycemic Load.

It is not always necessary that a High GI food will be High GL as well.

GI measures only the caparative impact on your blood glucose / and therefore insulin methods against a standard food (see point 1 above).

Glycemic Load takes the GI principle further. It includes a factor that determines the amount of carbs in a standard serving of foods. Kind of like the concentration of carbs, if you will. To judge a low GL foods - it needs to be under about 10.

For example, a traditional Montiganc diet would tell you that eating water melon is BAD - with a GI of about 72. However, the carb concentration is very small in water melon (hey - its mostly water!), and you'd have to eat an awful lot of water melon to get the same amount of carbs, as a standard serving of say potatoes. So it has a very low GL per serving of 4.

So - GL = (GI value x carbs per serving) divided by 100

In your menu you've posted - figs and cornstarch would be the alarm bells for me.. Although I'm not sure what I'd suggest in its place... You are probably fine with egg noodles too - but you are moving towards bad! You could try soba noodles - made from buckwheat. I'm pretty sure they are ok too.

Hope this helps
Spang
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:10
Stepford Malfunction

Thanks (Again) Spang,

The figs yes, I think that the first count I had for them was for fresh figs but it did not state fresh - but the listing was for pears and figs as if to mean they both had the same count. This was in the counter in the Montignac book. Unfortunately I have never seen a fresh fig in my life. Dried is all that's available here.

Cornstarch - I have now read about the gelatinzation factor in starches how it lets the sugar (or whatever) release into the blood very quickly. When making up the sauce I looked in the Glucose Revolution and saw it in a recipe rated low GI - I guess they were figuring on 1 tbsp of cornstarch mingled with all the other ingredients would bring it down to low. I guess though we should remember that the New Glucose Revolution is not really aimed at weight loss diets but more at educating people to correct the type and amount of carbs they consume.

The reason for the white bread/sugar base is mentioned in the New Glucose Rev. I have found a couple of mini-counters in some other books and they of course do not state which base is used. Alas more confusion.

This is really a learning process, basically I know the healthy carbs as that is how I would normally eat. Its rooting out all the hidden "bad guys" that gets me.

Label Reading - HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SPELL SUGAR?

Back to my research - I want a diploma in this by the end of the weekend.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:36

BF:

its no problem - i just hope my rants make sense sometimes!

at this rate, you'll know than me about this. i'm slow at reading, as i've got a pretty busy life - sounds like you've read more of that new book than me at this point!

sounds li ke cornstarch is ok, as long as you are not eating lbs of the stuff. how often is it eaten in huge quantities?! )

I've seen fresh figs every now and then, but they are FAR FAR from cheap!

I've found a problem with some dried fruits - you have to be so careful as "they" like to add sugar to them in the process. I've never understood why... It's almost a "big sugar company conspiracy" LOL

I can see the secret memo's now:-

"All those nuts trying to eat healthy... we'll trick them with those hidden sugars"

lol

have a great weekend!
Spang
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 10:44

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there,

how about using pectin (?, I don't know if it's the right word in English) as a substitute for cornstarch. I read that it can be used to make the sugar-free jam, and I know that my mother always used it for her sauces instead of flour...

KoKo, are you still counting calories, percentages and that stuff? I'm tempted to do so, too, but I'm really trying not to. I did that for so many years, and what got me about Montignac is that he says not to do that. I still feel weird on eating without counting anything.

But on the other hand, I still have enough to do with figuring out what is ok to eat and what not. It's about the same work as counting calories. but I guess that it will get easier as time goes by...

My husband is really getting into this, too. He's reading all the books I've got and wants to start as well. He has to lose about 20 lbs, much less than I, but it will be great not to do this alone...

Wish you a nice Sunday (or what's left of it)

Sandra.

Oh, I did want to post my intake of today:

Breakfast: Oatmeal cooked with skim milk, on strawberries (I also take about 2 servings)

Lunch: 2 raw red peppers, some slices of cheese, ham, fish in vinegar (didn't have time to cook)

Dinner: Ratatouille (red peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms) with steak
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 11:30
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the pectin tip, I will look into it and see what I can find out.

I'm not overly worried about the calories, but since I am aiming for a weight loss I do tend to watch them. What I find when eating this way is that because of the high fibre content I do eat less. I don't know if you have ever heard of the F-Plan, it is a high fibre plan - they aim for about 40grm of fibre a day - and the theory is that a lot of calories are excreted from the body undigested (sorry for the gross visual some may experience upon reading this) Also the fact that fibre is much more filling that other calories.

I just finished about a month of trying Atkins and lost nothing, it was day to day frustration of seeing the scale go down 2, up 3, down 3, up 4, over and over again. The Atkiners will all disagree with me but I was always hungry eating so much protein and fat
I couldn't help but watch my calories - I am 5'2.5 tall and so can't take in as much as a taller person. With 20 lbs to lose also need a lot less than some with much more to lose. I need the fibre to feel satisfied.

Whew I got a bit off topic there, I think it's generally agreed that calories DO count to a certain extent. That if a person continually eats a whole lot over what is required to support the body then weight gain will occur. On programs like Montignac if a person eats according to the rules then the chances of continually overeating are pretty slim so there should be no need to count grams or calories.

I am using the FitDay program because I want to see what I am taking in and what the results are and this gives a good look at proportions and I can use this info if I want to fine tune my intake.

It will be nice for you if you're husband starts the program
I'm finding it easier everday, not so worried about what not to eat with what!!!! I think that is basically no fat when the higher carbs are eaten, and full fat cheese to be eaten alone. I do till feel the need still to look in the book before I eat.

Mmmmmm lots of nice fish in Spain,

You enjoy the rest of your Sunday too
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:05
Stepford Malfunction

Yesterdays Food

Early AM about 20 green grapes
Breakfast - 2egg omlette w FF Cheese, sauteed mushrooms, lightly fried tomatoe

Lunch - some leftover chowmein(Homemade), sardines,

Dinner-Chili - (homemade -beef,red&white kidney beans, onions,red&green peppers,tomatoes - spices)

After Dinner - Peice of Gorgonzola Cheese
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 04:58
Stepford Malfunction

Smile Sundays Meals

cal/858..... fat/47..... carb/26..... .pro/83........... fibre 9
52%fat ... 8%carb..... 40%pro

Fibre too low --carbs a bit low-- fat a bit high

Brkfast - 2 egg omlette/1tbsp mozzarella - 5 mushrooms .5tomatoe

Lunch - Big Spinach/tomato/onion/feta/cucumber salad - 2 devilled eggs

Supper - some sliced polish coil......7 ozPollock Fillet, Asparagus, Cauliflower

Yesterday I was not so hungry between meals as Saturday, maybe I am getting the carb/protein balance correct, apparantley this has something to do with the length of time after a meal is eaten until one feels hungry again. I slept most of the night too so that helped.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 04:54
Stepford Malfunction

Hello Fellow Montignacers heres what I ate yesterday.

brk -2serving oatmeal - plain absolutely plain - found out soya milk full of ~#$%$##

lunch -chicken-3or 4 mixed greens-cucumber tomatoe

dinner -homemade bolognase type sauce/about 60z cooked spaghetini (allowed)

later - more of that gorgonzola - it haunts me, only a little left may I have the willpower not to buy more.

I had a glass of wine with dinner, (know I shouldn't of done that but I'm weak at times)

I don't really mind the oatmeal plain, I have dried skim milk that I can mix up but I do mind skim milk so I guess its plain for now, I had a soya beverage that was quite good it was vanilla flavored and very low in fat, calories and carbs - however it had sugar in it
I tossed that and read the labels on countless more - thought I had found a pretty pure one only to find out I had missed seeing
the - organiclly milled naturally grown dehydrated cane juice -

The search for sugar/sweetner free products can be frustrating. For me its not so bad, I never really took a lot of sweets except for the occasional home made dessert or my real love - gummie bears
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:57

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi KoKo

these are my meals of today

Breakfast - oatmeal cooked with skim milk and raw strawberries (I've come to love this for breakfast)

Lunch - went to a chinese restaurant with my friends, had green salad with crabmeat, chicken with soja sprouts (I guess there was starch on the sauce, though, and it was very hard to find something on the menu without carbs ...)

dinner - steak, green salad with gouda cheese and vinaigrette

I'm fine lately with the meals today it was carbs70gr, Protein 200gr, fat 48gr

do you think that 200gr of Protein is too much? Or the 70gr of carbs? My GI average of today was 28, I think thats not too bad...

I found this awesome program on the Internet (but unfortunately for you it is in German). You can give in all the food you eat (including nutrition facts AND GI) and it calculates for you the intake and the average GI of the day. It comes with a huge list of GIs of the different products, and I have compared it to the Montignac list, its the same but with more things on it. Wonderful.

Did you weigh yourself so far? I'm still without it, and it kills me. But I will be strong... Wanna wait 2 more weeks...

Hope you all are fine...

Sandra.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:17
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Sandra,

I must try that with my oatmeal, although I must admit that it was pretty good even by itself, I love hot cereal though.

As far as the chinese meal, I don't think the little bit of starch in the sauce is really that much of a problem, the recipe I saw in the New Glucose Revoultion (Spans favorite book) used a tbsp. in a recipe and it rated the whole recipe low on the GI

That sounds like a great program, I think this GI is really going to catch on. There have been quite a few questions about it at other places on the forum. It would be nice to have a few more people here

I weighed myself this morning and - before I tell you - first you have to know that I gained 2lbs on Atkins!!!!! so today I weighed myself and I am now 1lb below my starting on Atkins weight - so actually its 3lbs in a few days. However I found I fluctuated so much on Atkins that its hard to say whether the 2lbs I appearead to have gained were a real gain or just one of the weird fluctuations atkins seems to cause. So to be fair I will say it appears only to be a 1 pound loss. I haven't been weighing daily anymore (verrry hard not to) but I can tell I'm not fluctating by 2-3 pounds a day anymore there is so much fluid loss involved in Atkins - I think it really sets people up for a disapointment as if you lose all that fluid, then the least little bit of sodium seems to cause a huge retention.

I havent had dinner yet but I'll tell you my menu for today
(made 2 soups this am yum)

Early am - about 20 green grapes
Breakfast - 2servings All Bran/skim milk
Lunch - Huge serving -probably about 4 cups of Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Soup
Supper will be - cream of leek soup, rotisseried chicken, brussel sprouts and asparagus.
I got the recipe from a revue of Montignac and a couple of others if the soup is good I'll post the recipe up here.

I am so much happier eating this way than mainly all protein
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 01:19

BF:
Talking

congratulations on your progress koko!

I'm so happy for you!

I've been looking at my daily diet after reading this thread... and I've got to get myself back on track....

so this is a new me... no longer just maintaining - finally going for that final 5 lbs. I've got my little drumstick icon on the left and everything!

I've even officially change my diet plan from Montignac to low GI!

I may even feel brave enough to post meals some day!

Spang
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:44
Stepford Malfunction

Right on Spang

Go for those last 5 pounds, spring-summer is on the way(dare I hope - !!!!) and you'll want to look sleek

I feel like Heidi of the Alps this morning - eating my oats,yogurt and homemushed apricots
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 09:47

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Hi gals...

I'm going to jump in here even though I'm not following MM, or really any particular plan. I looked for his book at the library last night, but nothing. I did get S. Somers Get Skinny, will read that. I also got The False Fat Diet. Someone mentioned somewhere here on this forum so I picked it up. Actually, it may help me more than any other. It's about food intolerances, which I have suspected for some time is a problem for me. Wheat, for sure, dairy? maybe. I started the elimination phase today, will not eat any grains or dairy for a week.

I also check my blood sugar, I know I have a problem with that. I had 4 small canned apricot halves this am, 1/2 hr before some tuna, no jump in blood sugar. I was surprised, thought because they were canned I would have a problem. I don't normally eat canned anything, but I'm cleaning out the pantry.

Koko, I know exactly what you mean about being hungry on mostly protein and fat. I had that problem, too. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I read The Metabolic Type Diet. According to him, I am a 'mixed' type and need more carbs than I was eating. If I eat about 15 g of starchy-type carbs with a meal, that hunger goes away. Problem is, I think I have intolerances to all grains, which wipes out the starchy carbs! I wouldn't feel hungry anymore, but I would get congested. Well, I'll try fruit now and see how that does. More green veggies doesn't do it.

This sure is a long, drawn out process. Sometimes I just get so tired of trying to figure out how to get healthy! I don't really even care about the weight anymore, I just want to feel WELL. You know what I mean??

Oh, well, blabbed enough...have a great day everyone.

Amy