Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Phase 2 begins on Easter Sunday

This could be a seen as a blessing or as a curse!! I am looking at it like it is more like a curse...who plans a new eating program that will move into a new phase around a Holiday?! Wow! I sure didn't demonstrate very thorough forethought there...

Anywho, while creeping around the board I found this post from Judynyc and I clapped so hard to myself my hands hurt! This is going to be my savior!

Thank you Judy for all your amazing insight and help! You are a godsend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
You can do what you like.
I will share my experience and knowledge with you then its truly up to you.

The way its written in the book, he has us going way too fast adding in fruits and starches aka 'good carbs'. So, based on my mistakes and what I've observed over the years, I came up with my verison of adding in good carbs. A lot of what I based this on was the OWL phase II of Atkins and its carb ladder. I know....don't throw tomatoes at me!!

First week- start with 1 serving of fruit per day. See how you do with that before moving on. You get to pick the fruit from the acceptable fruits list and it can be different daily.
A good snack is an apple, or 1/2, with 1-2 tbs of peanut butter to slow down the digestion.
Are you still losing? Cravings at all?

Second week-
OK, so we are up to 1 fruit a day and 2nd week we get to add a starch to this. IMO, its best to go with starchy veggies first ie: sweet potato, winter squashes, peas and carrots, etc.
I would not yet add any grain ...not yet!!
Second week gives you 1 fruit and 1 starch a day in addition to all the other food we eat in phase I.

Third week, add in a 2nd fruit so your at 2 fruits and 1 starch
Fourth week- add a 2nd starch so your at 2 fruits and 2 starches.

Going slowly allows your body to adjust to digsting these foods and you can see if you have an intolerance or it sets off a trigger.
I found that wheat triggers me...bad!!

I can eat 2 fruits and 2-3 starches a day and be OK. I don't gain and I don't lose. I'd have to cut back to lose. But we are each different in age, lifetsyles and so what works for me could be different for you in your life and body.
I just ate a pear...had 1/2 cup brown rice with my lunch...and yes, I do count my fruits and starches daily and have been since I started eating this way.

Ask me questions so that I can zero in on where you need info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 09:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm so glad you found that!!

If I may suggest that at your holiday meal, if there is something that you must have, use the '3 bite rule'.
Watch your portions on dishes that are questionable, keep them small. If you have seconds of anything, do it with protein or veggies.

Enjoy!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 170/156/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

We had a big family Easter celebration a week early and I unbelievably managed to stay on plan even with all the desserts and high carb foods available. So far on South Beach I seem to feel satisfied most of the time and so it is easier to stick to it. I hope you experience the same thing. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

well, if it helps, I was at a birthday party the other day. The wife had made her husband his all time favourite chocolate cheesecake mounded with raspberries and blackberries, and topped off with more chocolate sauce. I looked at this and said to myself "how can I be close to this and not eat it"??

My answer? I was the official cake passer-outer. I got to look at this marvelous concoction over and over again as I passed it out and every time I gave someone a piece, I said to myself - "hope you enjoy all those carbs, better you than me". LOL!

And that was that, no cheesecake for me. And better than that, I didn't feel deprived!

My how things have changed!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 15:46
Registered Member

BF:

Well today was THE day - phase 2 - I had ham, beer can chicken, a squash, and green beans. I let the rest of the family have the mashed potatoes and gravy. Apple pie is in the oven and I am pretty sure I am going to have a piece - small piece - but still a piece. No Easter candy either just one Swedish fish from my daughters basket...I am patting myself on the back
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 16:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddswife
Well today was THE day - phase 2 - I had ham, beer can chicken, a squash, and green beans. I let the rest of the family have the mashed potatoes and gravy. Apple pie is in the oven and I am pretty sure I am going to have a piece - small piece - but still a piece. No Easter candy either just one Swedish fish from my daughters basket...I am patting myself on the back

Not bad!!
Now, if you'd like to know what I'd do after a holiday meal like that?
Well, even though you didn't ask , I'm going to tell you that I'd do 3 days of phase I just to get clean again.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 06:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Not bad!!
Now, if you'd like to know what I'd do after a holiday meal like that?
Well, even though you didn't ask , I'm going to tell you that I'd do 3 days of phase I just to get clean again.

You are exactly right! That is how I packed my food for today - Phase 1. Plus I stepped on the scale and I had a little bit of a gain...not much but enough!

Total lost in Phase 1 was 6 pounds - about 13% of what I need to lose altogether.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 09:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

You did great. Good job on choosing which thing you really wanted and only having a little. I skipped all potatoes, pies and anything with sugar and had ham, brussels sprouts, roasted green beans, a couple pieces of carrot and a rather laaaaarge glass of red wine. Everyone else had bread and butter and cheesecake...i had my apple and pb when I got home. I am retaining from the salty ham but I think I did well. I saw 218.6 yesterday so yay!!