Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 02:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/170/145 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default HELP! I'm on a 5 month stall

Background: Started Atkin's in March. Stuck to induction, lost ~30 lbs in ~2 months. Haven't lost any more. I have basically stuck to induction the whole time. I did add berries and nuts for the summer. I attributed my stall at first to the fact that I lost so much so fast, but 5 months later I am still the same weight. At first I wasn't dissapointed, but it's getting harder and harder to keep my chin up without having some success.

What should I try? I am currently on strcit induction...still no success.

Please help!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 04:59
Registered Member

Stats: 260/165/110 Female 5'5"
BF:60/44/20
Progress: 63%

My advice...CHEAT! If you read the book, even Dr. Atkins suggests cheating for a stall. I too, stick to strict induction, I know if I give myself an inch, I'll take a mile, so better not to. Anyway, when stalled, if i cheat a little for a couple of days, then get back "on the wagon", I find that the weight starts coming off. Although, like everything else, nothing works for everyone, but since you arent losing anyway, might as well have some cake! LOL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 05:32

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Are you exercising? That can make a huge difference. Also, if you aren't doing any strength training, I would definately add that in. If you are exercising and doing strength training, I would shake up the routine. Instead of doing the treadmill, do the bike. Instead of doing the stairmaster, swim. If you are lifting, shake that up a bit with different machines or routines. Exercise *really* is the way to shake things up because there are so many different options out there you can switch around to get things moving again.

A cheat will often shake things up, but I have had a terrible time getting back into the swing of things. I use the excuse that everyone says I shouldn't lose much if any more and the fact that I'm wearing a 10/12 to justify it to myself. Today I'm trying yet another time. I am going to make a little sneak here and there not an option...otherwise, its just too easy for those "just this once" moments to add up.

L
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 06:53
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I do not recommend cheating to break a stall — all it did for me was give me an extra 5 pounds to lug around for two weeks. Not worth it! YMMV, of course, but if you do think you need to cheat to break this stall, check out some of the information on this site about "refeeds." They are NOT a license to eat whatever high-carb foods you want, but rather to go over your daily limit by eating good high-carb foods, like lots of fruit and veggies.

Still, this idea makes me nervous. Maybe your body just needs to be "woken up," and could benefit from OWL. Adding a few more carbs per day helps lots of people lose more quickly, believe it or not. And I agree that exercise could be a big factor here as well. Good luck! You've done so well — don't get discouraged now!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I broke my 5 1/2 month stall with exercise. I moved to new home that had an upstairs. After lugging things up and down the stairs for a few weeks I experienced a 5 lb drop in weight. Therefore, I won't change anything with my diet. I am joining Curves. Also I had lost a little weight after walking nearly 4 miles. Exercise definitely needs to be considered as a food group.

Black57
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

How many calories are you eating? Your body may be in a rut if you are eating about the same each day. What occasionally works for me is to eat a larger number of calories for a couple days (1900-2100) and then go to a low total (1300-1400). Seems to shake things up. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. (Stay low carb - and try to avoid nuts and cheese during this time, if you choose to try it)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:21
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Don't Give Up!

Lisa: I feel for you. It is frustrating to be stalled. My biggest piece of advice is NOT TO GIVE UP ATKINS. Stay with it. Increase your exercise. Carefully track your carbs and calories. For some of us, calories are as important as carbs. You may be one of us. Don't let your discouragement and frustration lead you to cheat. I did and I totally regret it. It is not worth it. My me, it is actually dangerous. I know a stall is frustrating, but gaining weight is just so much worse. If you start cheating, you will not only be frustrated, but heavier as well! Try to concentrate on how much better you feel on the low carb lifestyle and how much healthier you are. If you stick with it, the weight will eventually come off. Just consider the alternative....if you don't stick with it, the weight eventually will come back on and you'll feel even worse. That is what I have to remember. That is what keeps me going.

As a short-term boost, you might want to try the fat fast for a few days. It usually works for me. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:22

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%

I too have been on a four month stall even though I never eat more than 20 carbs. I went on a trip and had a swelling in my throat and found out I have a thyroid problem. We are working on getting it regulated but at least I know why I stopped losing. If you read through the Atkins book he says to get your thyroid checked if you are on a prolonged stall.

Might be worth a try.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I was stalled for 5.5 months, however, I wouldn't recommend cheating. I contemplated all sorts of options, really upping the good carbs; cheating w/bad carbs (but sugar and white flour give me a splitting headache now); more exercise; etc. I was at my wit's end. But I was stuck 5 lbs. short of goal, so I did not know if my body had found its "ideal weight" short of goal or what. Well, my daughter's birthday party occurred during my stall. I was going to have pizza and chocolate cake, nothing else was working, so why not? Well, the morning of her party, I was greeted with a 2 lb. whoosh. No thoughts of cheating that day. While I was at my wit's end, another poster suggested dramatically upping my fat and water intake, which I did.

The other thing that may be happening to you, is that you could possibly be at a weight that you were once at sometime in your life, and your body is very comfortable there. Shake things up with exercise or stagger your carbs and calories throughout the week, to keep your body guessing. If you have stayed on strict induction, perhaps your body has become accustomed to what you've been eating, thus the suggestion for carb and calorie staggering. Patience. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You might try moving into OWL as suggested. At 30g carbs a day I just wasn't losing anymore. I added exercise and upped my carbs through veggies, fruit, and fresh dairy (yogurt and cottage cheese) and now my weight loss is going again
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:35

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I also find that changing from the familiar can be beneficial, such as an increase in carbs (not cheating but "allowable foods") or an increase in calories - just for one day.

The other day I had a run in with some vagrant madacamia nuts and finally wrestled the lid back on the can after about 3 ounces. My calories of course skyrocketed (I don't really count calories, but do "monitor' them on fitday). I was panicking as I was well over 2000 calories which was way above my usual 1500.

One day later I noticed a one lb loss (and yes I did increase my water intake yesterday as well).

Good luck!

Froufie

Last edited by Froufie : Thu, Oct-23-03 at 09:36.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 10:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Stop eating nuts, berries, and dont eat any low carb frankenfoods. Dont eat anything processed, like processed meats. Lower your calories, even dr atkins says that people who eat fewer calories will lose faster. Dont go below 1200 though. Keep your carbs around 20 a day, and your fat %70. Drink 150 oz's of water a day. These are the things that work for me, and that I believe are effective. I stopped losing for a while. I had to ask myself, am I trying my hardest? The answer of course was no, even though I was following the rules, I knew I could make better choices. So you have to ask yourself that same question. If you have been working your ABSOLUTE hardest, then the only thing I think will help you is exercise.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:18

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was going to quit becasue I had had a 4 month stall...but that was 16 lbs ago.....
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:27
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I think that upping fat intake is the only thing that has worked for me... add an avacado... or a healthy new veggie with butter or oil...
I wouldn't cheat... because to me that is defeating all the hard work you have done... you are trying to train yourself to not "need" those unhealthy carbs.... so if the going gets tough, if you use those, you are in essence untraining yourself...

You have done so well... stick with it... some of the posters above have great ideas...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:48
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Are you tracking with fitday? It helped me a lot (still does) Are your fat - protein - carb percentages in the optimum level? I had to increase fat and am going to start increasing carbs. I upped the fat and two days later my pants already fit different.