Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 07:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Medical Doctor Sells Practice, Opens Up “Farmacy” Using Food as Medicine

I wanted to share this, but didn't know where the post belongs. Since the article doesn't promote LC eating, I figured this would be the spot for it.

It speaks to my own belief that food is the best medicine for what ails me.

Farmacy article

Quote:
Dr. Robert Weiss believes that a change is coming about in the way we approach health and medicine, or rather a reconnection with knowledge that was shunned with the onset of big pharma.

He sold his practice in New York and built the first farm-based medical practice on a 348-acre farm in Long Valley, New Jersey. It can be called a “farmacy,” a place that explores and utilizes plant-based “food as medicine.”

“Plant-based whole foods are the most powerful disease-modifying tools available to practitioners — more powerful than any drugs or surgeries,” said Weiss, a doctor of 25 years in Hudson County.

Untold billions have been put into the production of synthetic chemicals to treat the symptoms of disease, yet the research of plant-based medicine has taken a back seat, despite its ancient history and already known potential.

The priority is prevention through proper diet, including fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, beans and seeds. It’s “paleo” plus the best parts of human agriculture before they were turned into processed foods. However, this strict diet regimen can also be used to treat those already afflicted with ailments.

“I am not saying if you fall down and break your ankle, I can fix it by putting a salve of mugwort on it. You need someone to fix your fracture,” Weiss said. “I am talking about treating and preventing chronic disease — the heart attacks, the strokes, the cardiovascular disease, the cancers … the illnesses that are taking our economy and our nation down.”
He says that the nutrients in fruits and vegetables prevent inflammation, which is believed to be the cause of many chronic diseases.

Dr. Weiss said the lunch that was prepared during the interview—“a salad of baby kale, radicchio, purple carrots, cucumbers, onions and cherry husk tomatoes tossed with a walnut vinaigrette, followed by eggplant rollatini with tofu instead of cheese, and dairy-free chocolate pudding garnished with raspberries”—contains many naturally occurring drugs.

The goal is to reduce the reliance on dangerous pharmaceuticals that bring on a host of negative side-effects, addiction, and overdose death. Also, he strives to avoid, where possible, unnecessary surgeries.

Dr. Weiss points to the case of 90-year-old Angelina Rotella of West New York as model success story. On the night before Christmas Eve, she came to his office in a wheelchair with congestive heart failure.

“I asked her, ‘Do you want me to call 911 and admit you to Palisades General? Or will you let me feed you sweet potatoes and kale?’ Amazingly enough, with the help of her daughter, she chose this,” Weiss said. “She doesn’t have diabetes anymore and chronic heart failure. She is cooking, sewing and walking around town. I’m not saying it’s easy, but she seized the opportunity and she is transformed.”
The prescription was a strict diet including “grains (such as whole-grain brown rice and sweet potatoes), steamed greens (including kale and spinach), fruit (a big serving of wild organic blueberries is a must) and water.” Her daughter, Angie Rotella-Suarez, calls it “more than a miracle,” saying her mother stopped taking her heart blood pressure medication within two weeks.

The plant-based diet was so effective that Rotella-Suarez and her sister took up the same diet and lost 40 pounds, and are no longer pre-diabetic.

The farmacy already has 90 families that pay a membership fee and volunteer time picking weeds and harvesting vegetables. Part of the mission is to get people more interested in their diet through being involved in the food production.

“Human health is directly related to the health of the environment, the production of food and how it is grown,” said Weiss, who earned an undergraduate degree in botany at Rutgers College of Arts in Science in Newark. “I see this farm as an opportunity for me to take everything I’ve done all my life, all the biology and chemistry of plants I have studied, and link them to the human biological system.”
Indeed, there are more benefits to the act of growing one’s food than the we may realize. According to a scientific study, working in the garden and making contact with soil bacteria can make you smarter and happier, by triggering the release of serotonin in the brains.

Dr. Weiss is truly following the advice given by Hippocrates so long ago – “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 12:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I like his general idea of course, but not the apparently vegan approach he takes. Tofu instead of cheese? Most of us here avoid soy products at all costs, and would consider the cheese a healthier option than the tofu!

And I didn't know sweet potatoes were "grains" either. I guess I can't claim to be "grain free."
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 12:13
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I can't eat the way he advocates. Obviously that's why I eat LCHF. I'm just happy there is somebody publishing stories about using food as medicine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 17:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't really understand why tofu exists, at least for vegans and vegetarians who aren't low-carb. Beans actually tasted good, why not just eat those, if that's your thing? I also don't understand chickpeas. They seem kind of waxy. Kale is beyond me. Baby kale doesn't seem like such a bad idea, though.

Quote:
He said kill it before it grow - He said kill them before they grow.

seems like a great idea when applied to kale. Did I mention I don't want to eat kale?

Great that this is working for somebody, though.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-15, 07:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
seems like a great idea when applied to kale. Did I mention I don't want to eat kale?
Ha! I waa out to dinner with friends last night and a couple got talking about how hard it was to get their husbands to eat veggies. One was so excited as she said she had finally gotten her husband to eat kale. I kept my mouth shut as I'm not very fond of kale myself and think it's overhyped.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-15, 07:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I make kale chips and like them a lot. It's just the leaves of the kale removed from the stems, mixed with some olive oil and salt and baked in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350. There's no denying that kale has a lot of high value nutrients but certainly anyone can eat a healthy diet without ever eating kale.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-15, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Kale? I love it. It's frequently too old (gets bitter) and over cooked to a horrible grey green color.

I grow it, in several varieties, and pick all summer long. The teeny leaves make great salads, and one of my favorites uses for the bigger leaves is a a base for stir fry, tossed into a HOT pan and cooked till it starts browning before I add the rest of the veggies.

I top with a couple of runny over easy eggs for a wonderful supper that's fast and easy.

Oh! Almost forgot. Grate some nutmeg over the stir fry along with whatever other seasonings you like. For whatever reason, kale and othe deep green veggies love nutmeg. And add sriracha for a kick at the end.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-15, 19:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

When I grew kale I found out I didn't really care for it. But it wasn't wasted - my donkeys & rabbits loved it!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-15, 03:24

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I love kale so much. Sorry that its glories are unattractive to so many others.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-15, 03:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hey, I know people who think liver's gross. There's no accounting for taste.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-15, 10:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
The priority is prevention through proper diet, including fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, beans and seeds.
Isn't it amazing? People are discovering that eating FOOD is healthy.

Maybe I'll buy some kale today and give it another chance.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-15, 00:07
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I used to set up a lot of salad bars in my young days and they used massive quantities of seriously overgrown kale for this. Just the SMELL of the stuff makes me run the other way!

I think it's a good thing when people decide to eat something the earth provides. Maybe vegan is extreme enough to be dangerous for most people but vegetarian isn't bad (most the vegetarians I knew ate a lot of eggs and cheese and even sometimes seafood) and it beats living on pizza hut and taco bell.

Maybe they should start handing out medication with fast food. Just skip the middle man altogether. :-)

PJ
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-15, 10:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Sliced kale makes great "noodles" for soups.

I know a lot of people who claim to be vegetarians and what they really mean is they don't eat meat at every meal. Honest.

Me, if I'm short of protein I'm hungry until I eat enough protein. And I can't seem to get it from vegetable sources very readily. So one size just does not fit all.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-15, 12:37

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I loved seeing this!! I totally believe food is the best medicine!!

Even though I'm not a big veggie eater.

Do as I say not as I do!

Seriously though, if we aren't careful we will lose this knowledge. How brave of this doctor. I think its pretty awesome.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 03:13

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Re the article: I wonder if his charisma and belief in his method has a galvanizing effect on someone who's feeling weak and wants to get better. The menu he gave to the 90-year-old woman with heart failure seems strange and I'd be very upset if someone gave that to my mother or grandmother -- but I think sometimes we discount the magnetism (whether well- or ill-intended) that some people radiate when they're on a mission, self-appointed gurus, etc. (well, this is the war zone).

Re kale: I usually avoid it if other greens are options, I think dandelion and even collards are much tastier, and kale just seems too tough to chew sometimes. But any greens cooked in bacon (or other pork fat) can be really good. The traditional southern methods of cooking pork meat with greens knew what they were doing. Also, fats break down the cellular walls in greens much more effectively than cooking in water (thus getting more nutrients).