Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 14:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default how important is fat?

does anyone know how important fat is in this diet; I try to avoid fat as much as possible and am wondering if I would actually lose weight if I had a piece of bacon or something like each day.

flax
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Flax, you're going to hear this repeated in the replies you receive to this post, but here goes. You cannot attempt Dr. Atkins' diet without first reading the book that explains it. Online forums and articles are a great supplement to the whole LC experience but they absolutely positively cannot replace reading the book.

Low fat and low carb spell trouble; big time. You are supposed to be eating fat, and a lot of it. You have to throw everything you've ever been told about fat out the window. Fat will not make you fat. I typically eat over 1000 calories of my 1900 calories every day from fat and to date I have lost 60 lbs in a little over 4 months.

I suggest you take a look at the link on the right of the page called "which LC plan is right for me". Many of the different plans are listed and explained with sample menus for you. Pick one that best fits with your lifestyle and get yourself a copy of the book. Most Libraries carry them. You can also pick one up cheap at this website: www.half.com they have copies of the paperbacks for pennies on the dollar.

Happy reading,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 18:08

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Well, I will be getting Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution book as soon as I can get my hands on it. However, not from the internet but from a bookstore.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Flax until you get a book you can read some of the journals. Most folks tell what they are eating and of course you can see on the left side how successful what they were eating was for them.

Each of us are individual in what it takes for us to lose. So...until you get your book check out some of the journals.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Also, Walmart is selling the Atkins book for $6.95 in paperback. Sorta a New Year Resolution Special.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 18:56

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

To quote Dr.Atkins.

"Dietary fat, in the absence of carbohydrates, causes the body to use body fat as fuel. The wise dieter uses this to their advantage."

So to answer your question "How important is fat?"

The answer is "VERY".