Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 220/190/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile how much

how much protein are u allowed to have I was just curious? I just started back on the atkins diet again today. I have been browsing around for over a week and have gotten alot of information to help me along . I even got my sister-in-law to do this diet with me. I know in a couple of days I will be feeling beteer than I have before
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / PP
Stats: 255/245/200
BF:
Progress: 18%

Fron what i understand its between 65-120 but i could be wrong. As long as you are eating enough (at least 900 calories) and you are eating till you feel full, then any amount is ok.

Carrie-Ann
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 11:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Wink thank u

thanks CarrieAnn8 I will remember that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 12:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tammy, your protein requirements will vary based on your Lean Body Mass (this is your body weight minus your body fat). There are forumals you can use to determine just what that is (there is a great one in Protein Power by the Eades) You must have at least 60g of protein a day (this is the minimum requirment for women) for your body to function properly. Other than that you should be consuming 10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories to maintain basal metabolic funtioning. 900 calories a day is fine if you weigh 80 lbs; at 190 lbs you should be eating at the very least 1900 calories! Eating too little will put your body under stress; a stressed body will hold onto things like fat and water. If you lose weight it will be slowly and most of it will be lean muscle - something you do not want. It is the lean muscle that burns the calories and fat (even while you do nothing)

I suggest reading through the plans listed under "Which LC plan is right for me" and choosing one that best fits your lifestyle then getting a copy of that book. Knowledge is power; the more you know about your LC WOL the better able you will be to make it work for you.

All the best in 2002,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 12:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Wink thanks

thank u for the help Natrushka I appricate it so much.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 12:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

A good way to figure out your minimum protein requirements is by multiplying your current body weight by .4 to give you the grams required.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 12:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Talking thanks Karen

thanks I will do that.