Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:55

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default caffeine and blood sugar..

thought id post some info here..

"Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. Caffeine does this by enhancing the effect of two hormones (adrenaline and glucagon). These two hormones release stored sugar from the liver resulting in high blood sugar... "

for some people it may cause a stall (although im sure some of you already know that)

read more about it here

HTH someone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:12

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Yep. Dr. Schwarzbein, too, discusses this at length in Schwarzbein Principle II, The Transition. How coffee can increase sugar cravings, etc. The physiology behind it is really interesting (to me anyway!).

Thanks for the post
Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 23:45

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

Regular coffee doesn't do that to me. But I'm wondering if it is stalling me. This is week 3 and I think I'm getting bigger. I have NOT cheated. I am an Atkins Re-inductee since 7/6/03. I lost 30lbs. on it 3 years ago and my nutritionist told me it was dangerous, so I quit. She's fired at our next appt. and I am so over her advise. Does anyone think that is my problem?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 01:53

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

your right peapod.
regular coffee occasionally seems fine but in excess causes me to have palapatations and an increase in blood sugar.total effect- gives me the jitters!!.
don,t know about stalling, i would think this is an individual thing.

christine
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 09:53

Talking Need Coffee!

Bought a cup of regular coffee this morning. Decaf tastes like ka-ka. Also, taking a rest from the supps for a week and start over with new ones. I will take the supps throughout the day. I think I was upsetting my stomach by taking them all at once, at night. Man, I had heartburn and a sour stomach all week and last night I had to lean on the porcelain goddess. I was scared there for a while.

I'll just keep my coffee to one cup in the morning with breakfast, I don't crave sweets when I drink it though. I will continue to drink my water throughout the day and for sweetness, I can have iced lemon/hybiscus w/splenda or 1/2 an Atkins Chocolate Decadence Bar. Happy Carbing, good people.

Quote:
Why do we shoot people who shoot people to prove that shooting people is wrong?

Last edited by Linda Love : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 10:02.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:16

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i think it really could be anything.. if you look in my journal i was at a certain weight for a while and decided to cut out my cheese and the SF stuff.. lost 3 pounds after that..

maybe my body uses ALL the carbs in that stuff instead of some? Alot of people would have to count the full 24 carbs in one atkins bar! and im not sure if you are lactose intolerant as I am.. but i LOVE cheese.. and that stalls alot of people if you eat too much..

it looks like youre only having one cup of coffee a day.. i dont beleive that would stall you..

sorry about your tummmy upsets
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:17

Talking Thanx!

You are TOO sweet! Thanx so much for your advice. I made the most wonderful meatballs. I put chicken sausage (0 carbs) mixed into the ground beef w/sauteed bright orange & yellow & red peppers, onion, portabello mushrooms, EV Olive Oil, gray salt and some red pepper flakes and ground black pepper. I baked them for 30 minutes. Very delicious. I found out what is giving me the indigestion--the liquid CLA.

I have one more dosage left in the bottle and THANK GOD! I ordered the capsules from VitaCost.com. You get supps really cheap, but excellent quality there. There also sell lc foods at discounted prices and only one shipping charge no matter how big your order.

See ya and thanx again!