Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 12:57

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
It's like when you have a report due but you clean your kitchen instead. It's procrastination on a grand whole-life scale. The teenage/young adult years are fraught with difficulties to which quick fixes are not readily apparent. Becoming militantly vegan or vegetarian simultaneously allows a young person a chance to make sweeping change, giving one the sense that they are facing the things in their life they don't like which alleviates the sense of helplessness or powerlessness, and in supporting the bigger issue of animal welfare, allows a person to feel they are part of something bigger than themselves, they're sort of joining a club.
That's quite insightful--were you ever a vegetarian? I was, for a few years on college. I would say that the thought process you describe fit my situation quite well (many different difficult personal issues to deal with, easier to make a drastic, "grand" sweeping gesture that instantly makes me morally superior to others). Though that was a long time ago, and I don't recall completely what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, with the little nutritional knowledge I had, even I could see that my diet was not healthy, and my body was starting to show the effects of poor diet. Not to say that a vegetarian can't eat a healthy diet, it just takes a lot more work. A vegan, I don't believe will ever be truly healthy.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 13:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Mind you, this was the girl who, at age 11, when she learned how hotdogs were made, stopped eating them, and would say to her brothers as they ate them: "Enjoy your livers and kidneys!"

My sister had a similar aversion to hot dogs when she found out the brand mom bought had hog lips in the list of ingredients. Never bothered me, even when she would taunt me with "Hog lips! You're eating hog lips!"

I do like you & don't bug my daughter about being (or rather trying to be - she slips up a lot) a vegan. It's her choice.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 14:10

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
That's quite insightful--were you ever a vegetarian?

No, I never chose that particular quick fix, but I recognize the behavior pattern since I've received a lot of mental health treatment, and learning to recognize it in myself makes it easier to also recognize it in others. You sort of back up and think "wait, what's REALLY going on here?"
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 14:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always laugh when people freak out over the fact their meat contains meat. People eat the WHOLE critter, not just muscle meat. Man... I wish they'd teach stuff like that to kids because most people are so stupid about where their food comes from.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 14:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
After about the two years, though, he went back to eating meat. He said it was too hard to do anything else and be a vegetarian. He was underweight, and constantly hungry, always thinking about or eating food.

That's a great point: reminds me of all the vegetarians or vegans I've run across, who are always snacking or keeping stuff in their desks or otherwise constantly eating.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I agree that especially when you're younger, being vegan/vegetarian can be resistance to what seem to be the conventional ways. When I was in high school, right after I learned to drive, I announced to my family I was a vegetarian. So then I could get my special foods at a health store (I had a job to pay for it). I kept my yogurt and brewer's yeast in the family refrigerator and felt like I had a diet that wasn't the same as my family's. Even then I had an inkling it was fueled by rebellion and dealing with family turbulence. I still loved meat and missed it, I just wanted to prove I was different!

But then when I went to college I lived in a co-op that was strictly vegetarian. Lots of soy burgers (the mix came in big plastic cartons, anyone remember that?), soy cheese, granola, raisins, whole wheat bread and macaroni. I started having a lot of health problems, bad skin and especially fatigue and brain fog. I had no idea it could have been because of the vegetarian diet. As soon as I moved out of there I went back to eating meat and got better.

My concern is that when vegetarianism is propped up by virtue, feelings of doing the "right thing" (re animal rights, farming, etc.), and dogmatism, then it's harder to separate from it when it isn't really supporting your health and well-being.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 15:56

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
The only vegan/vegetarian mind I've changed is my own. But I went that route (~1976-1994) for health and financial reasons primarily ... only to find that it made my health worse - bloated, fat, inflamed and allergic to everything. So I became a born-again carnivore.

haha that's awesome, I have a friend that was vegetarian back in the 90's and she had to change her diet bc she was allergic to wheat and gluten
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 06:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Speaking of changing minds (or is the vegan diet a mind changing one?) there have been new studies on the mental effects of low-fat and protein diets. Tom Naughton has posted part two rebutting the climate change argument for vegetarian eating. So while sitting around the holiday table and your vegetarian relative acts crazy, you can bring up these new studies

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....crazy-part-two/
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 12:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thing is, I totally understand their humanitarian stance. It is what led me to try it. But they are forging on without any regard to what the truth is.

That's the kind of idealism that gets people hurt.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 13:16
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I pass a little white car on my daily walks that has a bumper sticker that reads "I THINK - THEREFORE I'M VEGAN". I have been so tempted to print up a label to cover up the word "therefore" - and replace it with "MY BRAIN IS SHRINKING." I never acted on that thought - but maybe I passed on some vibes in that section of the neighborhood. When I went past that car yesterday the bumper sticker was pealed off.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 16:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Speaking of changing minds (or is the vegan diet a mind changing one?) there have been new studies on the mental effects of low-fat and protein diets. Tom Naughton has posted part two rebutting the climate change argument for vegetarian eating. So while sitting around the holiday table and your vegetarian relative acts crazy, you can bring up these new studies

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....crazy-part-two/

Jey Thanks for this link. I love it, "a vegetarian diet will make you sick and crazy"
Very entertaining article and the comments too!!

Ken, You just made me laugh by head off "MY BRAIN IS SHRINKING." I love how we get these thoughts to amuse ourselves but that's as far as it goes....been there for sure.
Somebody took the sticker off, so you weren't the only one.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-15, 04:39

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I actually believe in climate change, just throwing that out there.
It makes some of the great mr Naughton's posts grate (whoah, rhyme there...), and I wish he would get back to posting that on a separate blog like he used to.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 17:35

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
My niece went lacto-ovo vegetarian last year after some fool high school teacher showed the class some videos of farming abuse. She recently went vegan.

Her mom's got the "you shouldn't be vegan, especially at your age" angle covered. I concentrated on the nutrients she should be consuming so that at least she doesn't end up with the more obvious deficiencies.

She asked whether yeast is vegan--wondering about it as a source of some vitamins. I told her it doesn't matter, when it comes to micro-organisms, there' no such thing as a vegan. It's inevitable that some single-celled critters will die in the gut and be digested.

But while she visited here two weekends ago, she did make an exception and have some eggs and heavy cream. With the eggs, she's not worried about the health effects, or the eggs themselves, but just the treatment of the chickens. There's lots of farms in her area, and her mom's willing to look for a farmer they can trust to treat the laying hens well, hopefully that will sway her.

If she's willing to consider the treatment the animals get, she's smarter than a lot of other ethical vegans.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 03:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

One of my daughters has just turned vegetarian and is seriously looking into veganism - she's not been eating meat now for a few weeks and for whatever reason is piling on the pounds?! But she's a grown up and can make her own choices - we just laugh and make fun of each others weird eating habits lol

Jo xxx
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 13:59

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

The way Volek, Phinney and Westman put it in The New Atkins for a New You is that vegetable protein is packaged with carbs. You have to know what you're doing (or have insane beginner's luck, I guess) to make a vegetarian diet also low carb. Now low fat, I'll grant you. That wouldn't be so hard. And we all know the theory. I'd hazard a guess she might be insulin resistant?