Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/246/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Latest issue of Consumer reports

I read Consumer reports because they are the only source I know of that gives product advice w/o accepting advertisements. Sometimes they go beyond that though. Often they will give (really bad IMO) advice on diets. Whenever they rate food products they always lower the ratings if a product is high in fat but never mention carbs. Best to look at their advice on taste and buying the product and to ignore what they say about nutrition. The latest issue of CR (June 2015) is no exception. On an article on the latest eating fads they gave this advice on low-carb diets:

"If your body gets less than 50 grams of carbs per day (the amount in two apples) for three to four days in a row, it will start tapping its own fat and muscle for fuel instead of its usual source : glucose from carbs."

The second part of that is new. I know people worry that people on low carb diets may eat too much protien because they do not understand that low carb diets are supposed to be high fat and not high in protien. So I have never heard anyone worry that we may eat so little protien that we may force our bodies to burn muscle. But I guess there is a first time for everything. Not sure if they got that from a peer reviewed article though.

The first part though just makes me laugh out loud. My god! If your body starts using stored fat instead of glucose from carbs then you might .. you know ... lose weight! Oh the horrors! How do people lose wieght on other diet plans w/o burning stored fat instead of getting calories from food? Why else are people going on diets?
Sponsored Links