Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 249/ 199/175 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default st. Patrick's Day challange?

I wonder if it's possible to start a challenge here in this Irish section of the forum and what better date (us being Irish and all that) than March17! I know I would love to shed 14lbs by that date. Perhaps we could check in on a Thursday evening and as there is no time difference we could even communicate to each other real time. Having been a member of soooo many slimming clubs down the years, although I never stayed as motivated for as long(17weeks) or lost as much weight as I have on atkins, I do miss meeting people and comparing experiences. So even talking on line with other lowcarbers would be great, especialy as I do not have to explain again and again that "no I will not kill myself on this wol quite the reverse". S o what about it? are we on or what?.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 00:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/136 Female 5 ft 6 '
BF:
Progress: 24%

Carmel
Sounds like a great idea. I tried WW last year and basically lost about 2lbs in 10 weeks..I did think the meetings were good for support etc. So this january I decided to try atkins..one of by friends has been lc for 4 months and she told me that she has never felt better. I must admitt that this diet suits me as i love my meat and veg...! I can honestly say that i have never ate as much on any diet as I have on this one..and I'm losing weight. Well I am 163lbs now and by paddys day I woukd like to be 149lbs...that a stone in a month and a half.. in 6 and 1/2 weeks..which is..about 2 lbs a week. (I had to resort to a calculator for that one)...so how about it carmel and glenellen..?? Need to set ye're targets and we'll celebrate paddy's day in style!!.
kitty
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 07:29

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 231/202/154 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:37%/34.1%/25%
Progress: 38%

Im up for that, It sounds a great way to encourage others. Im 220lbs =15st10lbs at the moment, I love doing the atkins my only down fall is my glass of wine, but it is one of the best diets for results, as for WW I must have a share in that after all the money I spent, for them to tell me I put on a pound or two!!! my fault of course but it dident work for me. Oh yes I suppose I will give up my glass of wine, you have to be cruel to be kind, really really cruel. So lets get started
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 13:19

BF:

Hi,Glenellen I am so glad you are going to join us and as we have quite a bit of weight to lose we can keep each other company on this new way of life we have embarked on.I also LOVE my glass of wine or bacardi or lchampagne or in the case of last night all 3!!!!!. It was my husband's birthday (any excuse),boy does adkins give you the hangover from hell,however I had a lowcarb meal in the restaurant so at least I held on to my willpower dispite the drink.I know it can slow down my weight loss but I have given up so much that I like in order to lose my weight ,that I feel I can allow myself this one weakness at the weekend-that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 16:27
Registered Member

BF:

Hi carmel and glenellen.
I try to adhere to the low carb side of the diet..but I'd never survive without my few glasses of wine. I know it slows down the wt loss but it doesn't stop it..and we need something to look forward to. And the big fry up (hangover cure) the following morning is so atkins friendly!!!
kitty
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:16

Hi girls, I done lots of excerise today, when I say lots, I mean its more then I normally do, which is none. ah... well its a start. so how are you both doing, are you doing anything different because of this goal we set. I have been extra careful, because I think you might let a carb loose here and there if you think no-one is watching!!! I think i've read in the atkins book not all the weight you lose is shown on the scales is that true.... I gave someone a loan of my book and they moved and I refuse to buy another.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 13:51
Registered Member

BF:

Hi
All along I've been drinking diet coke and coffee..even though I know I'm supposed to give up both. Today I had decaf coffee..and drank 2litres of water. My aim for this week is to drink 2litres of water every day and to try and stay away from the cafffine..going to a hen party thurs night so..more wine!!! How are ye both getting on?? What day are we going to have as our weekly post our losses!!??
kitty
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 16:48

BF:

Hi Kittyford and Glenellen,looks like it's just the 3 of us,I wonder if Fats started adkins on Feb.1?(if you are out there do join us ).Would Friday night suit you both to post our weight loss,-see the power of positive thinking and all that.I am still trying to get rid of the 2lbs I gained over the weekend ,and so this weekend I am only allowing myself 3 glasses of whiet wine on Sat.,because although I do not want to give up my "few"drinks it realy seems to be slowing down my weight loss this week,and I suppose what is the point of all this hard work all week if I then go and un-do it at the weekend,because although there are very few carbs in alcohol your body burns suger alcohol before it burns your body fat,and as I have rather a lot of body fat to lose I realy should not be distracting my poor body from the main task-TO MAKE ME LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!>
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 02:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi carmel and Glenellen
Don't know what happened to fats..I saw on one of his posts that he was going to start on feb 1st..can't do this friday nigth as am going away for the weekend put I will post sunday when I get back..hang in there girls
kitty
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 06:11

Hi girls, friday sounds good, I was going to suggest monday's, just so you would think twice on being naughty at the weekends, but ye friday's good, kitty you be good on that weekend and if you cant be good be careful what you eat or DRINK !! carmel I can understand about the wine thing, it really does slow you down, I should be a lot further in this diet then I am , but its that glass of wine, and it does knock you back, so I am not going to drink this weekend, I am really going to try and talk myself out of it, because my family and the in-laws are all drinkers and I will be seeing them at the weekend (HELP!) like you carmel, I have so much work ahead of me trying to shift the FLAB, I really dont want to give up my wine but, I have so far to go, and if it goes any slower i will only get dis-heartened, I have upped my 2 litre's water a day to 3 litre's a day, its horrible but no pain no gain, and Im walking around like im 80year old since doing exercise, my body is in shock and so is my kids!!! we will all look beautiful and the end of this won't we, I SAID WON'T WE. So friday it is and we will catch kitty on sunday, I have to go and finish my water YUK.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

hi everyone
Just a quick suggestion do either of you have yahoo messenger??
kitty
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 16:20

BF:

Kittyford ,nope I had to ask my son the computer buff if I did ,and he informed me that not only did I not have yahoo messenger,but even if I did I would not be able to use it!,my small family have no faith in my ability to use any form of technology.They laugh at my one fingered typing,but I could not care less,I may be slow but I get my message out there!.I am realy nervous about my weigh in tomorrow as I still can't seem to shift the 2lbs I gained last weekend,and to make matters even worse last night I was just in ketosis .Oh the demon drink!!!.My family are also great for throwing the odd party or 10.I need to be very disciplined and it is not easy,as my husband is sitting as I type this with a nice glass of red wine,he is very supportive but does draw the line on his having to give up his few glasses of wine thursday to sunday,so I must be STRONG!!.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 13:26

Hi girls, were the heck do I start, anyway the weight I started on was 222lbs=15st12lbs=100.9 Kg. I weighed myself today, and I know I lost weight, im just not sure how much, the scales I use are kg scales but it prints it out in stones and pounds, but there was no paper in it, so im left with 97.70 Kg so if any of you know your kg please let me know, I would love to use my bathroom scales but im only 14 stone on it, anyway how are you doing, sorry kitty,I dont have yahoo either, but I must have the same hubby as carmel, thursday to sunday drinking and yes he is supportive, but point blank refuses to give up his few cans of cider, and what is my favourate drink, yes cider!! so like you im being slowly tortured but we will show them, I am on my way up to dublin tomorrow to dress my son for confirmation and my daughter for communion, so lots and lots of stress and lots and lots of glasses of .....water, mind you I done my shopping today and guess what... NO WINE !!! I left it out of my shopping list so there's no temptation. so would you concider giving up that glass of wine for a few weeks carmel, and dont forget we only really started on monday so its only five days not a week, so come on tell me how you done
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:06

BF:

hi ladies,good and bad news!.The good news is I lost the 2lbs I gained last weekend,the bad news is it means I am still the same weight as I was last week and I am going away for the weekend to a house party so I had better be on my best behavior.The strange thing is I do not mind missing out on the high carb foods,but I hate having to sit with only a mineral water for 2 nights,anyway will go online on sunday night,b.f.n.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 18:25
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi ladies, I've been eavesdropping, is it ok if I join in, even though its a little late? I would like to try to lose 10 lbs (counting the 2 I've lost this week) by St. Patrick's day. I am Irish-American (4th generation, but still 75% Irish ancestry) do I qualify?

Must mention - I definitely do not give up wine on this diet, and it works for me! It would be too hard for me to stick to it if I knew I couldn't have my wine 2 or three times a week. But that is my only "cheat". I have now lost 70 lbs. in about a year, and am in a hurry to get to my goal!

Anyone know how many pounds equal a stone?

Liz

Liz