Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 15:46

Plan: Attempting Atkins
Stats: 157/157/128 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Drinks

I drink a lot of water, however, I use the Propel powdered drink. I looked up the sweetener and from what I can discern - it is okay. I REALLY hope so because my water intake would drastically decrease if I didn't utilize this. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

When it comes to artificially sweetened drinks, you have to look beyond the label of 0 carbs and calories to find the ingredients, and then decide for yourself how you react to the chemicals and sugars, how much to consume, etc.
Maltodextrin is a tricky one, and this is for a lemon Propel.

Quote:
Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Flavors Natural, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid, (, Vitamin C, ), Sucralose, Silicon Dioxide, Niacinamide Vitamin B3, (, Niacin Vitamin B3, ), Acesulfame Potassium, Calcium Disodium EDTA, (, To Preserve Freshness, ), Calcium Pantothenate, (, Pantothenic Acid Vitamin B5, ), Vitamin E Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride HCl, Cyanocobalamin Vitamin B12, (, Vitamin B12, )

Maltodextrin is a hidden sugar. It is manufactured from corn and once ingested, your body converts it into sugar. The same goes for dextrose. These ingredients are found in packets of artificial sweeteners as a bulking agent (splenda, sweet-n-low, equal, etc), jell-o, crystal light powder stix and even in some of the liquid "water enhancers". The 1g carb is the maltodextrin, remember to count it.

Sucrose and Acesulfame are both artificial sweeteners that have had questions raised about their safety. Two other ingredients on the list are controversial but don't want to become the food police

For you wanting to lose a modest amount of weight, can only suggest that consider the pros and cons, if you don't lose at the rate you want, try a month eliminating all artificial sweeteners and maltodextrin to see if it makes a difference (it does for many but giving up sweet drinks not worth it for some).

Btw, there are other sweetening and flavoring options. http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/guid...ral-sweeteners/
I sometimes use Stur sweetened with stevia...packed same as Mio, there are other stevia brands Mio type flavorings around now too.
Stur ingredients: Purified Water, Natural Fruit Flavor Extract, Natural Citric Acid, Natural Color (fruit/vegetable juice), Natural Stevia Extract, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid).

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-20-17 at 04:17.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 11:57

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I boil up about 6 - 8 eggs at a time, and have them ready for snacks. I also keep some sort of salami on hand (check the carbs on that) and cheese, or roll ups of meat and cheese. Also lox in the morning with some tomato and cheese... I find nuts (for post induction) and olives make a hunger-curbing snack if I'm noshy, which I'm usually not. Lots of easy things that you can grab and eat.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 10:46

Plan: Attempting Atkins
Stats: 157/157/128 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Rats!

Jey100 - darnit!!! That means about 8 carbs a day just for my water. Really!?!? I know the amount of weight I would like to lose isn't much by comparison but I know that I will need to see some significant improvement to maintain this type of lifestyle. I promised myself to give it the "hard" try for two weeks. Feeling a rather discouraged right now as one week has already gone by and my efforts were (apparently) squashed due to "water".
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 05:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Don't give up, all is not lost over some spilt water , consider it a learning experience that you do need to check labels. At least that label actually has the 1g carb listed. With amounts under .50g, labeling laws allow it to be listed as 0g, so the Sugar in Tic Tacs completely flies under the radar.

Have you tried the water with half a package of Propel? Or slowly cut down on what you add? I now find all these flavor enhancers way too sweet, a little squeeze of Stur in 32oz is more than enough. I also use the "essence" flavored waters, Trader Joe's , Costco has Deer Park by case, any store has them now. But if you like the taste of Propel and that keeps you on track and away from other sugary treats, find a way to include it in your day.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 13:08

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I drink Poland spring flavored spring waters like they're going out of style. The ingredients are spring water, C02, and natural flavors. That's it, no sweeteners. I find them very satisfying.