Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 12:00

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I thought this might be interesting for people contemplating carb cycling.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....ot-necessarily/

Check out the video.

Dr. Phinny says it takes 1-2 weeks to get back into nutritional ketosis.

Thanks. I listened to the interview. I was under the impression, as Dr. Eenfield was, that once you'd been in ketosis a few times, you could re-enter the state more easily - in a day or two. Dr. Phinney is clear that it takes longer.

Maybe I should break down and buy that meter and some strips.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 12:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm thinking about it too.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 12:40

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I dont buy that point about it taking so long to get back into ketosis after a carb binge.

first of all, the degree of ketosis should only be determined by the absence of dietary carbs and protein. Thus removing all protein and carbs from the diet should return you very quickly to full ketosis.

Also one has to wonder what the actual significance of blood ketone concentration is, does higher levels imply higher energy expenditure? Or does it imply lower energy expenditure because ketones are not being used and thus accumulate in the blood and produce higher readings on the meter?

As far as I can see the only potential benefit of higher blood ketone levels ( assuming lower concentrations already meet energy needs ) would be higher activation of the beta-Hydroxybutyrate receptor GPR109A. ( and whatever other receptors ketones bind to, since ketones are not just molecules for energy they are also signalling molecules )
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 13:09
Experimenter

BF:

I don't know, Kindke. I wonder if Dr. Phinny would answer your questions if you asked them in the Youtube comments for that video.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 13:21
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
I dont buy that point about it taking so long to get back into ketosis after a carb binge.

first of all, the degree of ketosis should only be determined by the absence of dietary carbs and protein. Thus removing all protein and carbs from the diet should return you very quickly to full ketosis.

Also one has to wonder what the actual significance of blood ketone concentration is, does higher levels imply higher energy expenditure? Or does it imply lower energy expenditure because ketones are not being used and thus accumulate in the blood and produce higher readings on the meter?

Kindke, I think part of your question, at least, is answered by these paragraphs from Phinney & Volek's book "The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living":

Quote:
Within a few days of starting on carbohydrate restriction, most people begin excreting ketones in their urine. This occurs before serum [blood] ketones have risen to their stable adapted level because un-adapted renal tubules actively secrete beta-hyroxybutyrate and acetoacetate [two forms of ketones] into the urine. This is the same pathway that clears other organic acids like uric acid, vitamin C, and penicillin from the serum.

Meanwhile the body is undergoing a complex set of adaptations in ketone metabolism. Beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate are made in the liver in about equal proportions, and both are initially promptly oxidized by muscle. But over a matter of weeks, the muscles stop using these ketones for fuel. Instead, muscle cells take up acetoacetate, reduce it to beta-hydroxybutyrate, and return it back into the circulation. Thus after a few weeks, the major form in the circulation is beta-hydroxybutryate, which also happens to be the ketone preferred by the brain cells (as an aside, the strips that test for ketones in the urine detect the presence of acetoacetate, not beta-hydroxybutyrate).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 13:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
But over a matter of weeks, the muscles stop using these ketones for fuel. Instead, muscle cells take up acetoacetate, reduce it to beta-hydroxybutyrate, and return it back into the circulation.

Thats something I didnt know, wonder why it works like that? Why does it take muscles such a long time to make this adaption.

As a side note I just now happened to find this study in google about how GPR109A receptor activation stimulates adiponectin secretion, this is great news as adiponectin is a hormone with many many health benefits. So if higher serum beta-hydroxybutyrate promotes higher adiponectin secretion indeed I just answered my own question. So glad we cleared that up quickly!

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/296/3/E549.full
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 14:01
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

OregonRose,

Thanks for that quote from the book! It makes more sense now.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 14:25

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I love these types of discussions, where the LC heavy hitters are bouncing these concepts back and forth. They are infinitely preferable to the mindless back and forth wars between LCs and the ignorant, indentured CICO crowd.

That said, another reason I like to see discussion like this happening is that scientifically we've only scratched the surface of LC, HF, and ketosis, and there is still so much to explore.

I share the confusion of other members who say they feel that a brief carbohydrate imbalance has only taken them out of ketosis for a few days. I have all the wonderful goals with LC that others do, but primarily rely on ketosis to alleviate symptoms of my mental illness, and it is the functioning of my brain and my affect that tells me whether or not my brain is running on ketones. Maybe it's because of my illness, but I can pinpoint, literally to the HOUR, when I have reentered ketosis after an off-plan level of carbohydrate, and I also always experience this after approximately 3 days have passed. It may matter, however, that 'on plan' for me is already 70 to 75% fat calories, and an 'off plan' level of carbohydrate is a day of between 100 and 120 grams.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 14:28
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRose
Kindke, I think part of your question, at least, is answered by these paragraphs from Phinney & Volek's book "The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living":

That's awesome! Now I can see how technical the book is and wonder if I should get it or not.

Jimmy was surprised that he wasn't in nutritional ketosis, very much, because he had been eating low carb. They recommend a certain level, which might be more than most of us experience, especially us long-timers, without adapting the diet a bit more by lowering protein.

I'm going to evaluate how things are doing with my current experiment, then I might just buy a blood ketone meter and see what happens.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 20:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I will post when I get started, it may not be for a while....I am coming back from an overseas trip and am not sure if the meter and strips are there.

For me it will mean back to full accounting of everything I eat to look at calories as well.

I love coconut oil and butter so do not have any trouble adding fat. I am also going to be looking at hunger on lower protein.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 08:55
Experimenter

BF:

It sounded like, from the Phinney interview, to keep protein to 25% of daily calories burned... not consumed. Am I right?

So, using one of those basal metabolic rate calculators if you're at 1700 calories then protein would be around 106g. That still seems like quite a lot of protein.

(1700 * .25) / 4

I just plugged in some food in my plan:

2 jumbo eggs
8 oz shrimp
5 oz lean-ish beef
2 chicken thighs
=============
106g protein

That's quite a lot of protein, more than I eat in a typical day, I think. I might have to go lower than that.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Jul-12-12 at 09:02.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 08:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-hydr...e_dehydrogenase

Quote:
In enzymology, a 3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase (EC 1.1.1.30) is an enzyme that catalyzes the chemical reaction

(R)-3-hydroxybutanoate + NAD+ <---> acetoacetate + NADH + H+
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are (R)-3-hydroxybutanoate and NAD+, whereas its 3 products are acetoacetate, NADH, and H+.
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, to be specific, those acting on the CH-OH group of donor with NAD+ or NADP+ as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (R)-3-hydroxybutanoate:NAD+ oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include NAD+-beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, hydroxybutyrate oxidoreductase, beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, D-beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, D-3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, D-(-)-3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, beta-hydroxybutyric acid dehydrogenase, 3-D-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, and beta-hydroxybutyric dehydrogenase. This enzyme participates in synthesis and degradation of ketone bodies and butanoate metabolism.

According to the red, the redox (NADH vs NAD+) state of the cell should partly determine the flux between the two kinds of ketone. The symbol for a reversible enzyme action didn't paste, so I had to make my own two-headed arrow.

Quote:
The name of this metabolic pathway is derived from citric acid (a type of tricarboxylic acid) that is first consumed and then regenerated by this sequence of reactions to complete the cycle. In addition, the cycle consumes acetate (in the form of acetyl-CoA) and water, reduces NAD+ to NADH, and produces carbon dioxide. The NADH generated by the TCA cycle is fed into the oxidative phosphorylation pathway. The net result of these two closely linked pathways is the oxidation of nutrients to produce useable energy in the form of ATP.

That's from the wikipedia entry for the citric acid cycle. The citric acid cycle chews up NAD+ and spits out NADH... which should increase production of beta-hydroxybutyrate from acetoacetate... but that might not make sense, since glycolysis would produce NADH, too. Can't say I really understand all this yet.

Quote:
The term redox state is often used to describe the balance of NAD+/NADH and NADP+/NADPH in a biological system such as a cell or organ. The redox state is reflected in the balance of several sets of metabolites (e.g., lactate and pyruvate, beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate), whose interconversion is dependent on these ratios. An abnormal redox state can develop in a variety of deleterious situations, such as hypoxia, shock, and sepsis. Redox signaling involves the control of cellular processes by redox processes.

Would levels of lactate and pyruvate production have an effect, since in a carb-adapted state they'd compete for reaction with NAD+ or NADH? So you get this weird thing where increased availability of glucose in the cell actually increases use of acetoacetate? At least in muscle cells.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 10:44
Experimenter

BF:

I forgot to mention this but I really liked what Dr. Phinney said about Omega-6 and Omega-3 and grass-fed versus standard beef. It essentially verified what I've always thought: Worrying about ratios of EFA in meat is pointless.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 21:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

What did Dr. Phinney say about Omega-6 and Omega-3 and grass-fed versus standard beef?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-12, 00:00

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

It definitely sounds very interesting and I would want to try it out; though not buy that meter (I could never bring myself to taking that blood sample).

This however is the part I am most curious about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
2 jumbo eggs
8 oz shrimp
5 oz lean-ish beef
2 chicken thighs
=============
106g protein

What would good nutritional ketosis meals and snacks look like?
Would anyone have links to recipes that fit well in such a fat fast?