Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 07:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

That's what I meant.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 09:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

One thing Taubes brings up is that the attitude in the 60s-70s that fat was evil-dangerous, resonated with the hippy doctrine... namely, how could we profligate North Americans dine on bacon and eggs and ribeye steaks when the third world was starving.

Given the current food and energy crisis world-wide, I anticipate that a major rewrite of the pyramid emphasizing less plant and more meat, is going to be problematic.

I would rather see the dietary tzars start to play the tune that different folks have different metabolic make-ups, and a '1 size fits all' food pyramid may not be the way to go. Simply recognizing that certain individuals might benefit from adhering to a 'modified' LC food pyramid may be the best we can hope for.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 13:09

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
One thing Taubes brings up is that the attitude in the 60s-70s that fat was evil-dangerous, resonated with the hippy doctrine...

Speaking of the Hippy times, I've been thinking about holding an "EAT-IN" on the pavement outside the Dept of Health.

You would show up every morning with a picnic table and eat a large breakfast of bacon and eggs, then depart.
A large placard would show your before and after cholesterol and blood pressure. Some prepared handouts would give more data and references to more complete info. The novelty has to be good for a bit of publicity.
A few native peoples in their traditional dress eating trad foods might add to the effect.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 17:03
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

We're going to need naked people covered with oopsie rolls and pemmican.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra
I've always thought that was what we needed.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 21:09
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I'm intrigued guys, but am Canadian eh.

Please correct my ingorance if I'm wrong. But I've recently learned that here in Canada anyway, electronic petitions are dismissed.
?????
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 21:55

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

They would never dare substantially change the pyramid, for the simple reason that feeding the whole US on more meat and less starch would be quite impossible.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 22:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Kellogg's, General Mills, Nestle, Coke, Peta..... can you you imagine the lobbying and the avalanche of media releases? Ouch!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 02:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
I'm intrigued guys, but am Canadian eh.

Please correct my ingorance if I'm wrong. But I've recently learned that here in Canada anyway, electronic petitions are dismissed.
?????

Maybeso, but I believe they were working on emails, each one sent by an individual, at the beginning of this thread.

Meantime, we in Canada have our own, disappointing, "Canada Food Guide". And it, too, is undergoing change. I'll see if I can dig out the link sometime soon, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

~~~later~~~

Well, I stand corrected, "we" finally issued a "new" Canada Food Guide in 2007, and I wasn't impressed...meanwhile, Canada is working on "Managing Health Claims on Foods in Canada: Working Towards a Modernized {sic} Framework"...this would apply to claiming a dietary approach, such as "Low Carb", as well, so could be very important in the near future, near being sometime in the next 3 to 5 years (gee, do I sound cynical?)

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, May-21-08 at 02:44.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 05:03

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think we have an opportunity and the Metabolism Society (http://nmsociety.org) is working on many angles. If you communicate your experience and concerns in a serious way, people in congress will listen. One reason is that they also want to know what to eat. The discussions of how difficult it is to change things are correct but there is also many things on our side. The main one is that "they" contain many people like us who actually want to do the right thing and you need to show them that somebody is behind them. Again, I urge you to write to the USDA and your elected officials.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 05:19
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinman
That's what I meant.
Ah... sorry. Word ownership by the Labeling Theorists has found another victim.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 14:59

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD
They would never dare substantially change the pyramid, for the simple reason that feeding the whole US on more meat and less starch would be quite impossible.

It's not so difficult if you look at the numbers.
Moving from 30% to 50% Fat in the diet means increasing fat by 20%. For an average 2,250 calorie daily energy requirement that means an extra 450 calories.
That comes out at approx 50g, or one and a half ounces, of fat per day. The fat could just as easily come from vegetable sources rather than meat, so long as it was either saturated such as coconut or palm, mono-unsaturated such as olive, or balanced Omega6/omega3.
I know in Ireland alone there is approx 60k tonnes of "waste" beef tallow produced every year that is currently fed back into the livestock food chain or treated as waste because there is no market for "evil saturated fats".
Fifty years ago this would have been used to fry bread on a winters morning.
Dividing this up among the four million inhabitants gives approx 45g a day of tallow, which makes up the fat deficit without any difficulty whatsoever.

Equally large amounts of fat are being disposed of in the chicken processing business. (Skinless chicken breasts..aaargh!)
The numbers in other countries are not so different I'm sure.

Ask the average butcher what volumes of fat get trimmed and binned when cuts are being prepared for the fat-phobic modern consumer, and you will get another huge number.
How much fat is collected under the grills of modern "healthily eating" consumers and dumped in the waste bin. How much of the delicious fat in boiled cuts of bacon is trimmed off and dumped before carving.

Once the Fat-is-Evil mindset is changed the fat will be found where it was always, except now it will be eaten, not dumped.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 06:14

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Thanks, Dr. Feinman.

I've written my letters (to your source, and to my rep and senators for what influence they can exert). We'll see if it comes about.

For selfish reasons I agreed with you and voted for Dr. Volek. I'd like Dr. Westman to be more available, not less. (he's my doctor, you see)

Thanks again for pointing this out, and I'm so glad to see you here.

Plane
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 19:53

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra

Thanks Prof Feinman
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 20:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Sorry I did not see this before the deadline of 5/24.....

Thanks Dr Feinman!!