Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs up Perseverance pays off

Hi everyone,

After losing 12 pounds on Induction, i'd hoped to continue a more rapid weight loss. But i had been sort of frustrated since last Monday. i had actually gained 2 pounds. i weighed myself this morning and i had lost the 2 pounds, plus 3 more!! i think i may have been indulging in too much heavy cream. Love the stuff in my Earl Grey tea (decaffeinated) but in an extra sized mug, i probably was overdoing. Sometimes, i also pour it over SF jello.

Also the past 2 or 3 days, i've been pushing water - more than the "necessary" 64 ozs.

i'm still pretty amazed that the cravings for pasta and bread have disappeared almost completely.

Take care and Have fun!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 14:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Weight loss naturaly slows for most in the third week, then picks up slowly again. For many cream and other dairy cause stalls or cravings. The asperteme in the SF jello could also be causing you problems.

Two pounds in one day like that was probably just water weight. Drinking the extra water helped to flush it out Make sure to watch your salt intake and keep chugging away. The water also makes sure to flush the Keotenes from your kidneys and system to maintain health, so very important.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: inspired Montignac SB
Stats: 238.5/179/165 Male 5'10 1/2"
BF:getting better :o)
Progress: 81%

Don't believe a minute that you have lost 12 pounds of fat the first 2 weeks. A good part of it is water. A sustained weekly loss can hardly be more than 1-2 pounds a week.

Last edited by Saintor : Sat, Jul-05-03 at 18:00.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 20:25

BF:
Wink

Hi Saintor,

Thanks for responding. i knew it wasn't 12 pounds of fat. But at least it's a good start. i just felt frustrated to not lose anything for several days -- to actually GAIN a couple pounds.

i've been called impetuous and i'm sure impatience goes hand and hand with that. But i'm doing pretty well with the water and ferreting out the carbs.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 20:43

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi kidee!

First of all good for you on your weight loss- even if some of it is water! Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

I find that when I really push the water, I will gain a couple of pounds initially, but within 24 hours will show a bigger weight loss than if I hadn't drunk as much. I think it's normal for that to happen- although I know looking at the scale and seeing a gain is a bit frustrating -looking at the scale every day is my guilty pleasure- I am going to have to stop that now that the initial rapid loss is probably over, although this time round I am more realistic- and have this wonderful site to support me!

Good for you kidee, and keep up the good work!!

Cathy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 22:33
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Kidee! Congrats! You are doing amazing. 12 pounds is awesome.

I only lost 3 pounds on Induction so you are clearly ahead of the game. Keep drinking that water, believe me the more you drink the less your body hold on to.

Good luck. We can do this!

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 04:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

I'm voting that 11 pounds of the 12 was fat and 1 was water! Who even cares? 12 is 12! Congrats!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

12 pounds is GREAT!!!!!! Just keep on going....in these next few weeks do not expect much as your body needs to do some fence mending...and these next several weeks usually do not show much in the scale dept.
You may want to avoid that scale for 2-3 weeks...and go by how clothes fit instead!
Oh yeah...be sure you have taken measurements....write me down...you WILL lose inches these next 2-3 weeks...and maybe not pounds. THIS IS NORMAL, so expect it!
BEST wishes and COngrats on the 12 lbs!
Jake
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:59

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

Let's stay positive....no need to pop anyones balloon. 12 pounds is 12 pounds. I lost 26 in 9 weeks....if 15 is water...so what I'm down 3 sizes - it's working!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:04

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Congrat on your tremendous loss! Whether it be water or fat, it is gone! And, with this WOE and WOL, it will be gone forever!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:56

Stats: 158/147/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

Congratulations on the 12 pounds!!! I agree with RedheadFl, 12 pounds is 12 pounds.....no matter what it was, fat or water!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 09:15

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

kidee,

CONGRATULATIONS ON THOSE 12 LBS!

It's my humble opinion that an initial loss like yours is not only amazingly wonderful, it is also what is going to sustain you throughout your journey. At least in my case, I can't tell you how many times during my life I have started a diet just wishing and praying for some initial fast results to get me started.

Like others have already said, twelve pounds are twelve pounds. In fact, aren't 10 lbs equivalent to one dress size?

Again, congratulations and good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 09:18

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

12 pounds is awesome!!! Heck I would not care if it was made of antifreeze!! LOL Whatever it was, it is off you now!!!!!!! Super congrats!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 09:42

BF:
Talking Thanks!

Hey, THANKS everyone for the congratulations! i agree that 12 pounds is pretty good. At least that's 12 gone so that i can work on the NEXT 12.

And, Whammy, i too, have started many a diet, hoping for a good initial weight loss. i think i've tried them all - Scarsdale, LA Weight Loss, Diet Center, Cabbage Soup diet, Grapefruit diet, Liquid Protein... i even was on a diet from Weight Loss Clinic (which is no longer around). It was a 600 calorie a day diet and i can't believe i stayed on it for 26 weeks. Of COURSE the weight came right back on -- with a vengence!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! Everyone is so great here!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 18:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/230/150 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default HI From a fellow Nebraskian

HI Kidee
We have a lot in common, I 'm from Ne. also, and have
probably bin on a lot of different diet's, lost and gained.
Weight watchers, Nutrasystem, Diet Center etc.
This is the only plan that I've not bin hungry on all the
time. It will take at least a year to git to my goal, but
this time I intent to stay on this WOL , for the rest of my life.
Bart